PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a interior bowl rest??

Bill Bolen
01-15-2009, 8:14 PM
Looking for some help finding a decent interior bowl tool rest that doesn’t cost $90. I have one from PSI with a 1” post but this thing does not work at all well for interiors although it does just fine for exteriors. The main problem is the way the wide flat steel rest is fitted to the post. They use a “cap” style mount to the post and it really restricts movement getting to the bottom 1/3 of the bowl. To the point that you cannot ride the bevel. I had their 5/8” post rests for my midi. Round bar stock rest and it worked quite well. I’ve been looking at the Nova rest and it looks ok but I’d sure like some suggestions before I plunk down any dough. You now how tight we old retired folks can be! ..Bill…

Pete Jordan
01-15-2009, 8:25 PM
William,

I have this one from Oneway. It is $63 dollars so I don't know if you want to spend that much but it works like a champ. It is not the one pictured. You might have to go to the Oneway.ca to see what it looks like.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Tool_Rests___Curved_Tool_Rest_ __curved_rest?Args=

Allen Schmid
01-15-2009, 8:38 PM
Bill,
Good luck in your search. That oneway style is very good. I am lucky enough to have a brother-in-law that is a metal fabricator. He made up four tool rests for me using the 1" post and a number of different horizontal bars. The 2 most used is my sweep for interior/exterior and 6" straight bar. You might have some connections with local metal workers...my B.I.L. was happy to receive money for his time/material and a cherry burl bowl to boot!
Just a thought...
Allen