PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Platter

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 7:46 PM
Here is a maple Cheese or Chip & Dip platter I made. I have a small bowl which still has finish drying. It is 13 1/2" across with 5 3/4" marble in the middle. It was finished with General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal the buffed. The cheese knife handle I also turned. I sold the other two I made for $70 ea.

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 7:49 PM
All that's missing now is the wine!

Interesting idea with the marble inside.

Tom Green
01-15-2009, 7:51 PM
That's a nice piece Bernie. I think I may have to try and copy it. Where do you get the round marble?

Tom

Bill Bolen
01-15-2009, 7:55 PM
Thats a great set Bernie. Only made prettier by the pretty girl in the pic bottom left! Nice job...Bill...

Toney Robertson
01-15-2009, 8:11 PM
Great idea Bernie.

Did you cut the marble?

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 8:11 PM
That's a nice piece Bernie. I think I may have to try and copy it. Where do you get the round marble?

Tom

Tom Craft Supply has them in this color and green. Easy to do after the first one and sold 3 this year for $70 ea.

Dewey I've got the wine. So all set.

Tom Green
01-15-2009, 8:13 PM
Thanks Bernie. I just happen to have some craft supply gift certs burnin a hole in my pocket. Do you have a profile pic of this?

Thanks again, Tom

Don Carter
01-15-2009, 9:05 PM
Great project, Bernie! Great workmanship but guess what, my wife wants one. Thanks for adding to the list of things to do.;)

All the best.

Don

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2009, 9:09 PM
Very nice cheese platter Bernie! Love the wood! I can see why they would be very popular!

Bill Embrey
01-15-2009, 9:34 PM
That is really nice Bernie... and in the first pic, it's interesting how the vein in the marble lines up with the grain in the wood... kind of threw me in the thumbnail pick... "why is the center of that platter white?" :)

Peter Lamb
01-15-2009, 9:50 PM
Super platter. I have access to a local potter who will throw any diameter needed. You can even have some say about glazes.
Peter L

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments. Tom I will try and get a profile pic's for you.

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Great project, Bernie! Great workmanship but guess what, my wife wants one. Thanks for adding to the list of things to do.;)

All the best.

Don

Don glad I was able to help. :rolleyes::cool::D

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks Bernie. I just happen to have some craft supply gift certs burnin a hole in my pocket. Do you have a profile pic of this?

Thanks again, Tom

Tom I added a couple of profile pictures. Sorry about the pictures but it is just to cold to go out and take pictures in the tent.:eek:

John Czaplicki
01-15-2009, 10:37 PM
If you don't mind me asking....where did you sell the other 2? online?

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 11:25 PM
If you don't mind me asking....where did you sell the other 2? online?

Hey John. First welcome to SMC. I sold them at the Carnagie Arts Gallery. I was the featured artist during November and December. They decided today to leave them displayed for the year.

Terry Achey
01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Now that's a different idea, Bernie! I'll have to pencil in that project on my minds list ;) . Thanks for sharing. As always, your workmanship looks terrific.

Terry

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Nicley done Bernie!.....as we have come to expect from you.

Do you have a vacumn chuck?

Allen Neighbors
01-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Nice job, Bernie! (If they looked as good as this one, I think you got took on the other two).

Allen Neighbors
01-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Very well done, Bernie! (If they looked this good, you got took on the other two.) :D

Jim Kountz
01-16-2009, 12:11 AM
What a great idea Bernie, and a fantastic job with it too!! Easy to see why they are popular!!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-16-2009, 1:23 AM
Good old fashioned cheese platter Bernie, they don't come any better than that, and yes they are very nice to have, the ladies know :).
The Marble is a nice touch, better than tile in the long run I expect :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Nicley done Bernie!.....as we have come to expect from you.

Do you have a vacumn chuck?

Yes I did Ken. I have the Holdfast system that I saw Dave Hout demo in Richmond. Got a great deal on one down there. Sells for $284 and I got mine for $175. It came with a 6" head and they threw in a 3" head. Mine is the newer one with the regulator on the head.

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks again all. I appreciate the kind comments. Funny thing I was type my answer to Ken when the phone rang. A lady wants one of the cheese/chip & dip trays as she called it and a salt & pepper mill. So guess I had better get a move on.:eek::D:D

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 1:34 PM
Bernie, Now that is a great thing! I need one of those full of cheese and stuff around all the time! I love cheese, and since I live in Wisconsin, I have access to lots of great cheese!!

Again, very nice!

Jeff

Benjamin Dahl
01-16-2009, 1:39 PM
Bernie, looks great! I have been planning on making one but would probably glue up some stock. About how thick did you platter end up being?
Thanks,
Ben

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Bernie, looks great! I have been planning on making one but would probably glue up some stock. About how thick did you platter end up being?
Thanks,
Ben

Thanks again all. Benjamin the thickness is about a 1/4" to 3/8" thick. I didn't want it thin so that is wouldn't flex with the weight on it.

Benjamin Dahl
01-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Bernie, I realize I did not word my question well. about how thick was the stock when you started? I have a couple of the marble inserts and have been waiting to get to them. I have some 8/4 stock I was going to glue up but also some stock that is not as thick (maybe 5/4) that I was going to try to. guess I will give both a whirl when I have a chance and see how it goes. should make a nice wedding gift for a buddy of mine. thanks again for sharing.
Ben