PDA

View Full Version : Flaired top NE with resin

Jeff Nicol
01-15-2009, 7:17 PM
Here is another one that I finished today, I am offering it to the same lady who bought the other cherry burl piece with the "HOLE". This was the other half of the burl and it had bug holes and lots of voids, so I filled them with epoxy and casting resin and a little gold leaf in the big one. Lots of messing around but it is O.K. I see a couple of tiny pin pricks in the resin that must have been bubbles. Still looks cool! It is a little over 4" tall and 4" wide at the flair. She had sent me a picture of one similar, but from different wood. She loves cherry burl!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2009, 7:21 PM
Wow - very nice! Great form and I love the burst of color! I have to think your customer will love this! Really nice work!

Randy Schaffer
01-15-2009, 7:27 PM
That really is very nice. The fill work is spectacular. A touch of gold really works.

Ted Calver
01-15-2009, 7:30 PM
WOW..a lot going on in that little piece of wood....cool stuff!!!

Bill Bolen
01-15-2009, 8:06 PM
Wow!! That is a knock out. So much color going on in so many places. I love this piece. That is sure to be one happy customer. And you must be aphotographer for Life magazine. The pics are the best I've seen in along while...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 8:09 PM
That is just beautiful. I really like the flaired top and color.

Gordon Thompson
01-15-2009, 8:11 PM
That is gorgeous - love those colors!

Peter Lamb
01-15-2009, 9:44 PM
You sure have lots of patience!!
Peter L

Brian Effinger
01-15-2009, 9:46 PM
That is so COOL! :cool:
I guess I know who I have to bug when I finally get around to casting. :)

Terry Achey
01-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Wow, Jeff. Unique and creative shape and awesome figure. I think the color is just right for that piece! Beautiful work.

Terry

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 7:55 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback! I have been playing around with the idea of using the casting resin to fill voids. I got the idea from another wonderful woodturner who's work makes mine look like kids play. Here is a link to my inspiration! http://users.gmavt.net/rwcturner/ Check it out!

Jeff