View Full Version : dry lubricant spray on vise

Tom Adger
01-15-2009, 7:05 PM
I just received a new Anant vise for my new workbench. After I clean the goop off everything, I am thinking that a dry lubricant spray would be good for the rods, to keep down sawdust buildup which occurs with regular grease. The local hardware store has a Gunk dry lubricant spray, which I suppose is as good as any. Anyone have experience with this type product? I also have a new Ridgid 3660 table saw, and I am thinking of using it there as well.

Dave Lehnert
01-15-2009, 7:17 PM
I have no experience with the product you speak of but have used the products below with good results.
The Dupont product is available at Lowes in the tool department. Next to the WD40.
The Sprayway I purchase from Grizzly. Grizzly item G4682.

http://images.lowes.com/product/036121/036121191570.jpg
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g4682.jpg

Gary Lange
01-15-2009, 7:22 PM
Go to a Bike Shop and pick up some spray wax for bike chains. I used it on my Mountain Bike and it saved a lot of cleaning time.

Dewayne Reding
01-15-2009, 7:24 PM
I supervise a Howitzer maintenance shop. We use aerosol dry film by the case for over 5 years now. It's almost like a light coat of paint for corrrosion protection. Sheds dust or grit. There may or may not be a better option for your vise, but the dry film will work. I have used it on lots of outside tools with great results. BTW, Sandstroms out of Port Byron, Illinois manufactures what I use, but there are similar products.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-15-2009, 8:12 PM
I've used the DuPont product a couple of times. Seems to work, but then I haven't put it to hard use.

Charlie Plesums
01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I have used, and like, the Gunk brand of dry lubricant. They have lots of different types... be sure to get the one that is Teflon or PFTE (or is it PTFE) based. It is easily identified, since it is a couple dollars more than the other types.

Stephen Edwards
01-15-2009, 11:42 PM
I've been using this particular one for years and have been very pleased with it:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/super-lube-drifilm-lubricant-p-68039.html

Synco Chemical Corp is the manufacturer. I keep several cans scattered all around the wood shop and in a plastic engraving shop. I think I pay around 6 bucks a can for it.

Howard Acheson
01-16-2009, 3:50 PM
I have been using furniture paste wax for years. Just rub it on and don't buff it. Sawdust won't stick to it.

David G Baker
01-16-2009, 3:57 PM
Tom,
Make sure you don't mix the lubricants. DAMHIK. Some mixtures end up like tar.
The wax method sounds like the best suggestion.
I have used spray Teflon and it works great if there are no other lubes present but probably not as cheap as wax.

Gary Elore
01-16-2009, 4:02 PM

I just bought some of this at my local Lowe's. It's labeled as PTFE based and silicone free. Price was in the $4.00 range

Gary

Tom Adger
01-16-2009, 4:39 PM
I appreciate all your responses, and the good ideas. It looks like I am on the right track with a spray dry lubricant.