PDA

View Full Version : Now this is OBPOL!

Scott Loven
01-15-2009, 5:25 PM
One Big Pile Of Logs!
http://www.vmtw.com/vmtw/bigload.jpg

Jeff Hallam
01-15-2009, 5:32 PM
Yup, those old time photos really show what we are missing out on today.

Tom Veatch
01-15-2009, 6:17 PM
Seems like an awfully big load for only two horses.

Mike Lipke
01-15-2009, 6:35 PM
Two Horses was not necessarily a problem. Accounts I've read talk about Ice roads, some that were generally down long grades, and there was actually guys that sat on the front of the sled runners with pails of sand, and their job was to sprinkle sand in front of the runners as needed in order to ensure that the load did not overtake and injure the horse team.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-15-2009, 7:22 PM
That has to be a doctored photo, or a setup by the guys. What is that, 100,000# of lumber? Looks like about the same amount that a modern truck and trailer would haul. Two horses have exactly 0% chance of even getting that started moving, and if they accidently did, it would take more then sand to stop.

Fun to see though.

Radek Kowalski
01-15-2009, 8:25 PM
They don't build horses like they used to!

Scott Vigder
01-15-2009, 8:35 PM
They don't build horses like they used to!

I'm still laughing!

Anyone wonder how they were able to stack those logs so high?

Ed Kilburn
01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Watched the horse pulls at Harrisburg farm show last night. The heaviest pull by 2 horses was 13,400 pound sled on a sand track. Moving that large sled of logs might not be the problem, but stopping it could be another problem.

Mark Bolton
01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Ive seen a bunch of images like this in the past. What I would wonder is how a load like that would be bound in a way that it wouldnt come apart. I am sure in the right circumstances it could be possible to load and pull but it sure seems over the top.

Some other impressive logging photos I have in my fav's are:
http://www.vannattabros.com/wedgepics/log.jpg

http://snlm.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/big-tree1.jpg

http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/images/log_raft.jpg

Mark

Sonny Edmonds
01-15-2009, 11:31 PM
A couple of pictures in the Avenue of the Giants. Redwoods National Park, California.
This is the Dyerwood giant 2 months after it fell.
Betty is 5'0" tall.

Added picture #3:
As the dyerwood appears today in the same spot as Betty was sitting. (Note that they cut a walkway through a trunk crushed (literally!) when the Giant fell in a storm. )

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64680

Jim Kountz
01-15-2009, 11:41 PM
That has to be a doctored photo, or a setup by the guys. What is that, 100,000# of lumber? Looks like about the same amount that a modern truck and trailer would haul. Two horses have exactly 0% chance of even getting that started moving, and if they accidently did, it would take more then sand to stop.

Fun to see though.

Nah Steve, that would be easy for two horses. Heck the other day I got two large maple logs and the guy loaded them using a single caterpillar!!:D:D:D:D

Steve Rozmiarek
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Nah Steve, that would be easy for two horses. Heck the other day I got two large maple logs and the guy loaded them using a single caterpillar!!:D:D:D:D

LOL! Thats pretty good, Jim!

Paul Steiner
01-16-2009, 8:10 AM
That picture is from the logging of the great balsa wood forest. Moving the logs wasn't the problem, it was keeping them from blowing away in the wind.

Rick Hubbard
01-16-2009, 9:25 AM
Seems like an awfully big load for only two horses.

Clearly these are non-union horses

Rick

Robert Parrish
01-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Are we sure they are horses, they look a little like mules to me. I just watched a show on the History channel about Extreme logging which used mules to get hardwood logs out of the woods in North Carolina. Each mule can pull 10 times their weight according to the owner and the average weight of the mules was 1200 lbs.

John Schreiber
01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
That has to be a doctored photo, or a setup by the guys. . .
How's that song go? "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK, . . . " I wouldn't put anything past a bunch of hard working guys that have been living together in the forest for a couple of months.

Under the right conditions, I don't doubt that horses or mules could pull that much. Think of those strong man competitions where a single guy pulls a 100 ton locomotive.

Gene E Miller
01-16-2009, 1:22 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

Fun to see though.

As a retired truck driver I can tell you that the average weight that is legally hauled by a truck today is in the area of 48,000 give or take a couple of thousand depending on what the empty weight of the truck is.

Max legal weight for a loaded truck is 80,000 lbs and most trucks run about 30,000 - 32,000 empty again depending on how much fuel, the type of tractor and trailer they are running and the size of the sleeper if they have one and the number of axles on the entire rig.

Anything over the 80,000 has to have a special permit in each and every state that it would travel in and also need to have special trailers that would increase the number of axles that the trailer and tractor would be required to have.

Gene

Steve Rozmiarek
01-16-2009, 2:07 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

As a retired truck driver I can tell you that the average weight that is legally hauled by a truck today is in the area of 48,000 give or take a couple of thousand depending on what the empty weight of the truck is.

Max legal weight for a loaded truck is 80,000 lbs and most trucks run about 30,000 - 32,000 empty again depending on how much fuel, the type of tractor and trailer they are running and the size of the sleeper if they have one and the number of axles on the entire rig.

Anything over the 80,000 has to have a special permit in each and every state that it would travel in and also need to have special trailers that would increase the number of axles that the trailer and tractor would be required to have.

Gene

Gene, I thought that Nebraska was bad! When hauling our own crops, we can get close to 100,000#, gross, as long as we stay off the interstate, and the the right equipment is used. 80,000 is the max on the interstate system.

Gene E Miller
01-16-2009, 2:46 PM
Gene, I thought that Nebraska was bad! When hauling our own crops, we can get close to 100,000#, gross, as long as we stay off the interstate, and the the right equipment is used. 80,000 is the max on the interstate system.

Yep that is the max on US highways and Interstates. I drove or a Nebraska based company for the 18 yrs that I was over the road. Some states do give a break for farm crops and that is a pretty good break, here in Arkansas it is a max of 85,000#. I have a friend that I haul wheat and soy beans for every year from where I live to Memphis and it is kind of a catch 22 deal I can get over to West Memphis Arkansas at the 85,000# limit but to cross the Mississippi River I have to get on the Interstate system and guess what I am then not legal. LOL

Sonny Edmonds
01-16-2009, 7:14 PM
That's 12,000 pounds! :eek:
I'd call that hauling As_... :eek:
Mule
Hauling Mule.... :D