PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Tools for Dust Collection

Andrew Joiner
01-15-2009, 4:20 PM
What are your worst tools for dust collection. Stationary machines are easier to collect from and leave set-up. Portable tools get to be more complicated.

Do you have any operations or setups that just take to much time to add dust collection to be worth it?

When do you just say "why bother" and wear a mask and sweep?

Rob Diz
01-15-2009, 4:26 PM
What are your worst tools for dust collection. Stationary machines are easier to collect from and leave set-up. Portable tools get to be more complicated.

Do you have any operations or setups that just take to much time to add dust collection to be worth it?

When do you just say "why bother" and wear a mask and sweep?

Router only, but that was before I got an CI extension table for my TS.

I was having trouble getting good collection, then I installed a 6 inch trunk from 4 inch plastic flex and man, now all of my tools get great DC.

But the router, that is.

jason lambert
01-15-2009, 4:27 PM
Lathe, forget dust collection. Everything else in my shop has good dust collection. The miter saw is also tuff.

Loren Hedahl
01-15-2009, 4:31 PM
I think the radial arm saw is the worst. I installed large casters on my Delta turret top RAS stand and always roll it out of my garage-shop to use.

When the weather is bad, I use a Festool circular saw and guide with vac attached or a DeWalt bench saw with vac attached.

Next worst is my Makita compound miter saw.

Next is the DeWalt bench saw.

Then there is the Porter Cable Speed block sander that works so nice, but is also relegated to parking lot use.

guy knight
01-15-2009, 4:58 PM
miter saw and lathe

Andrew Joiner
01-15-2009, 5:02 PM
I want to add this for discussion too.

What is your easiest machine or tool to get near 100% dust collection?

For me bandsaw seems easiest to get most dust, maybe 90%.

Hand held router, not worth the extra time.

Myk Rian
01-15-2009, 5:08 PM
Jointer and planer are my best.

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 6:16 PM
Drum sander is my easiest by far. It gets about 95%.

AT the moment my tablesaw DC is not hooked up but I am getting tired of cleaning out the cabinet so I hope that will be remedied soon.

glenn bradley
01-15-2009, 6:44 PM
I hook a vac to the CMS as the higher velocity does a better job than the DC. Free hand routing can be contained with vac attachments if the "prefect storm" exists; that is, the hose, dust shroud, etc. all clear the path without being more trouble than they're worth. For most free hand routing I just mask up and let 'er blow. A quick broom sweep and vac job and all is well ;-)