PDA

View Full Version : Installing figure 8's

Gordy Anderson
01-15-2009, 3:06 PM
I'm using the little figure 8 table top mounting brackets for the first time. It's a small 18X18 nightstand made out of poplar. I can see where if I put the 8's on the end grain sides of the table top, the top can expand or contract a little bit, and the 8 will rotate in place.

But should I put them on the long grain side too? And if so, how does that allow for expansion? It seems like the top wood be trying to compress or stretch the metal bracket when it moves.

TIA
Gordy

Jim Summers
01-15-2009, 3:12 PM
I'm using the little figure 8 table top mounting brackets for the first time. It's a small 18X18 nightstand made out of poplar. I can see where if I put the 8's on the end grain sides of the table top, the top can expand or contract a little bit, and the 8 will rotate in place.

But should I put them on the long grain side too? And if so, how does that allow for expansion? It seems like the top wood be trying to compress or stretch the metal bracket when it moves.

TIA
Gordy

Can the shank of the screw be smaller than the holes in the figure 8 and use a pan head style screw? It seems like that might allow for it to move some by tightening the screw just enough so the top is snug and pulled down.

Just an idea.

HTH

Howard Acheson
01-15-2009, 3:14 PM
You can not use figure 8's for long grain attachment. They will not swivel to take up any movement. Use them only on the cross grain edges.