PDA

View Full Version : Help with mistake cover-up

Darrin Davis
01-15-2009, 3:04 PM
I made a mohagany table out of plywood and wraped the edges with 3" of solid mohagany like a picture frame. I then added a inlay of 1/4" wenge to cover the glue joint. When I went to sand the top flat I accidentally sanded through the mohagany plywood (hard to believe huh?).

My question is, how would you go about addressing this issue. We are not going to stain it. I thought about coloring in the light colored core that I exposed with map pencils that match the mohagany but I thought the penciled in area might disolve as soon as the finish hit it. Any suggestions?

A suggestion of starting the top over and doing it out of solid wood like a smart woodworker would have done in the first place is not a solution I'm looking for. I have to make this work even if it means leaving the area that I sanded through just as an eye sore.

Thanks

Howard Acheson
01-15-2009, 3:17 PM
Go here for info on how to fix the sand through:

www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com/Hardwood/TipSheets/VeneerRepair.html

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 3:36 PM
Darrin,
You could also run another inlay over the bad part.

Bill Keehn
01-15-2009, 4:02 PM
Don't call it a mistake. It's a design opportunity :)

Brian Peters
01-15-2009, 6:48 PM
Post a pic, it all depends on how bad the mistake is. As for making it out of solidwood that wouldn't have worked. Problem with it is the boards expand and blow all 4 of those miters apart after awhile; how much is determined by the width of the top. Hard to fix veneer that's been burned through unless it's a dark stain (unless you don't mind).

Bill Keehn
01-16-2009, 9:28 AM
You know, if you could do a good job with your map pencils I'd give it a try. A wash coat of shellac should protect it from disolving when you do the final finish. Try your map pencils on a scrap and see if denatured alcohol will be a problem. If not then you will be good to go with the shellac.