PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Insert Shaper Cutters Opinion

Vince Czyzewski
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Anyone have an opinion on the quality of the Infinity line of stile and rail head and raised panel cutters. I am looking at their 1.25 bore R/S one piece head 4" and RP 6" insert heads. Running it on a 5hp 3ph dual spindle shaper.
The price is half of the cost of any of the leading manufacturers. The router bits have received good reviews. Small custom shop use.

Chris Mann
01-15-2009, 1:02 PM
You can get the Freud RP1000 and one set of knives for a similar cost as the Infinity. It's the same type of insert cutter head (aluminum, 2 knife). I'm running one in an old Delta and getting good results.

I'm sure the Infinity is nice, but the Freud has a lot more profiles available and sets for 5/8 and 3/4 stock and 2 back cutter options as well.

Peter Quinn
01-15-2009, 7:14 PM
I have several Infinity three wing cabinet door sets and other cutters, they work well. I don't like one piece insert sets for doors as you lose the flexibility to use flat panels which are quite popular in my area. I use Amana Profile pro HSS inserts which offer one piece knives for cope and stick on 3/4" doors, and a whole lot of other profiles that run in the same head including door edge and molding profiles. Much better value in my opinion. You can get a box set with cabinet door cutters and several other profiles with an aluminum 40MM head for $140 or so. The door cutters work in the same way as the Infinity sets, one fence setting, adjust the height. I have looked at stacked insert sets from Freud and Garniga, they look great but are much more money than I presently have for tooling.

I do have the Freud RP2000 set up which uses carbide inserts, looks very similar to the Infinity panel raisers. While more expensive than a single infinity insert head, I went with the Freud set because it offers more profiles and both a square or radius back cut option. The RP2000 does a fantastic job, I'd guess the infinity performs similarly.