PDA

View Full Version : Basement Shop, Heavy Tools

Michael Peet
01-15-2009, 10:30 AM
I have a dilemma. I am trying to get started in the power tool arena of woodworking. I currently have a 14" bandsaw, 10" SCMS, and 2.5 HP cyclone for dust collection.

I want to acquire "the big three": table saw, jointer, and planer. My problem is that work area is in my basement, and there is no walkout access. Fortunately, I am single so I can use the whole thing :D

I want to invest in solid, quality tools that will last me a good long time. Sadly, this usually means heavy. How do I get these things into my basement?

The options I can think of:

Get smaller, lighter tools, like contractor grade instead.
Try to wrestle the items down the existing stairs. This option frankly scares the heck of out me.
Install a basement egress like Bilco (estimate is around $8,000 to do this). Still have to get the tools down the stairs.
Use the garage. I don't want to use the garage - it's only a 1-car space, I like to park there, and winter is way too cold here in WNY.
Disassemble tools and move piece-by-piece. I believe I've read some recommendations against doing this, as they may not be able to be re-assembled to factory specs.
Move to a location that has either a walkout basement or room for an additional ground-level structure. This is fraught with the obvious complexities and expenses.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in the situation. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Mike

Prashun Patel
01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I was able to muscle a hybrid t-saw downstairs to my 'shop' with another person without having to remove the motor. There are plenty of threads around here with stories of people who've disassembled cabinet saws to move them downstairs.

You can get a 12"-13" benchtop planer which'll easily be carried downstairs.

A 6" or even 8" jointer shouldn't be hard to carry downstairs with a friend either.

That being said, if the BILCO option was as cheap for me as $8k, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The two reasons for this is 1) makes it easy to get long stock downstairs w/o tearing up yr walls, 2) Great for ventilation during finishing.

I wouldn't move yet...

Frank Townend
01-15-2009, 10:38 AM
I have a dilemma.
Fortunately, I am single so I can use the whole thing.

That is not called a dilemma Mike; it is called a dream. :D

A couple of thoughts:

Buy the best equipment you can afford.
Friends, starving college students, you name it, the stuff can get downstairs.
Even though you are lucky to be single now, claim a large area for a shop and make sure it can not be reconfigured for anything else.
Go for it, and good luck.

Eric DeSilva
01-15-2009, 10:59 AM
When you say no "walkout access" do you mean no external door at all? Seems like that would violate a code of some kind...

I've got a basement shop and external access is via a concrete stairwell. Its a tight turn, but I've managed to get some large pieces in. The Delta Unisaw (with wings off) was a light job with an appliance dolly. 8" jointer, 14" bandsaw, and cyclone each took two people. The only thing that has stumped me has been the 20" Grizzly planer. It still sits in my garage--it weighs almost 800 lbs. and I'm not even sure it will make the corner in the stairwell. I've got some movers coming to move a houseful of furniture from the garage to another place and the thought has crossed my mind to see if I can throw them some bucks to try to move it.

I'd also love to have some metal working equipment, but the large metal lathes and Bridgeport mills weigh a bit too much. Next house is going to have a daylight basement for sure...

David G Baker
01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Michael,
The smart thing to do is hire pros to do it for you. You would be amazed at how efficient professional movers can be. Make sure you check out the movers credentials because there are some fly by night guys out there that would be worse than your doing it your self.

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
The heaviest machine I have in my basement shop is my Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer at about 660 pounds.

Heavy stuff goes down the stairs just fine, it's the other direction that's more work!

I added 4 vertical posts to my stairs just because I'm a chicken.

Then the machinery went down the stairs, lowered slowly with a winch.

The comment about hiring a professional machinery mover is the best idea, they have the tools, and the experience to do it right. Not to mention the insurance for when things go wrong.

You're on the right track, there's no reason that a reason that a basement shop cannot have good stationary equipment, don't go the cheap route or you'll just wind up replacing the stuff later.

Regards, Rod.

Frank Townend
01-15-2009, 12:20 PM
When you say no "walkout access" do you mean no external door at all? Seems like that would violate a code of some kind..

Without secondary egress he can't have a "legal' bedroom, but lots of basements don't have walkout or walkup access.

Michael Peet
01-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I did not know there was such a thing as a machinery mover, but sure enough I found a few in the yellow pages. One of them says they can do this sort of thing for $125 / hr. Worth every penny to me!

Does falling asleep at my workbench make it a legal bedroom? :D

Thanks!

Andrew Joiner
01-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Fortunately, I am single so I can use the whole thing :D

Mike

No problem. Big machines go on the first floor! Sleep in the smallest room in the house.

My first shop was basement shop. It's better than no shop. All 6 shops I've had since then were at drive up level. Machines are one thing but lumber, plywood and finished wood products went in and out often for me.

With no other choice Rod's ideas would work.

Since your single you can leave the winch set up in place. This will impress(or prevent) any potential spouses.

Bill Keehn
01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I bought my cabinet saw and my 18" bandsaw at Woodcraft. The owner and one of his employees delivered and assembled them in my garage.

If you can get the dealer to assemble stuff in your basement maybe that would solve your problem. Why don't you ask them?

Michael Peet
01-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I bought my cabinet saw and my 18" bandsaw at Woodcraft. The owner and one of his employees delivered and assembled them in my garage.

If you can get the dealer to assemble stuff in your basement maybe that would solve your problem. Why don't you ask them?

I wish I could get that deal here. I bought my bandsaw at WC, and will also get the SawStop from them (being the only dealer around here). Unfortunately, last I checked they would only do liftgate to my driveway. Maybe I'll swing by tonight on the way home and ask again.

Mike Gager
01-15-2009, 1:06 PM
most tools come unassembled. just get a friend or two to help you carry the individual parts down stairs. the heavest thing on a table saw would probably be the cast iron top or the motor, by themselves neither should be that bad to carry

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 1:08 PM
Michael,
The smart thing to do is hire pros to do it for you. You would be amazed at how efficient professional movers can be. Make sure you check out the movers credentials because there are some fly by night guys out there that would be worse than your doing it your self.

David got it. I saw this done is Castle Rock with a huge set of Euro tools. Look in the yellow pages for "Rigging Company". They will come and set up pulleys and hoisting gear and won't ding up your walls / stairs. Since they do it all the time they know a few tricks.

Bill Keehn
01-15-2009, 1:46 PM
You could ask them to deliver it unassembled. Check with the employees and see if any of them are willing to come over after work and help you move it and set it up for some extra money. My experience is that a number of those guys do that all the time. The Sawstop goes together pretty easy and the manuals are well written.

Bill Keehn
01-15-2009, 1:50 PM
most tools come unassembled. just get a friend or two to help you carry the individual parts down stairs. the heavest thing on a table saw would probably be the cast iron top or the motor, by themselves neither should be that bad to carry

Thats true. But if you pay for them to assemble it, you can't be sure if they will assemble it on site or in the store before delivery. I've seen them do both.

Bill Keehn
01-15-2009, 1:52 PM
Mike, have you considered adding a bigger garage to your house?

Michael Peet
01-15-2009, 2:04 PM
Mike, have you considered adding a bigger garage to your house?

Hi Bill,

I had considered something like that. I could probably extend the garage maybe 10 - 12 feet before running into a 100-year old oak. It seemed like a pretty big, expensive project, and would be nowhere near as large as the basement (around 1200 sf) after all is said and done.

Mike

Jeffrey Makiel
01-15-2009, 2:33 PM
I have a basement shop with a bunch of tools.

I set up my basement shop gradually over a couple of years. That was about 20+ years ago when I, my brothers, and my friends were young (under 30 years old).

I'm looking to upgrade my 6" jointer and portable planer to a combo machine. And, quite frankly, getting the new machine into my basement has given me pause. I'm not only concerned with damage, but personal injury.

The hardest tool was the 18" cast-iron C-frame bandsaw because I was only able to strip it down so far. It wasn't just the weight, it was the size of it. If you can strip the tool down so it is compact enough to fit on a refrigerator dolly (with a tracked tread wheel), the weight becomes much less of an issue.

Having a lot of folks helping only goes so far. There is only so many guys that can fit down a stairway at one time.

I still wish I had a Bilco door as you are thinking about. It's too hard to install now. Further, it is a pain to get long boards and sheet stock into my shop. I also can't build a wooden yacht down there either. :)

As others have stated, don't comprise on tool quality though. If you are partly satisifed with lesser machines now, I guaranty that you will be very unsatisfied later. And then you have two more moves per each piece of replaced equipment.

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Shop.jpg

Chip Lindley
01-15-2009, 3:49 PM
This DREAM can be accomplished! BUT, much BBQ and BEER may be REQUIRED! Get your *friends* to help you muscle the stuff down those steps. Amazing what you can move with a 2-wheel dolly!

Anything that can fit down your stairwell can be moved, one way or the other! Stair stringers may have to be reinforced if minimal!

Caution: Some Dissasembly May Be Required!!

Bill Keehn
01-15-2009, 4:07 PM
Nice shop picture. What software did you use?

Art Mulder
01-15-2009, 4:30 PM
Michael,

I have a basement shop, with stairs in the middle of the house.

For a planer, I use a 13" DW735, which is reasonably portable.

For a jointer, I have a 6", which came in two boxes. That was pretty easy to get downstairs with help of a friend.

For a TS, I have a contractor-style saw. It is delivered unassembled, so I took it downstairs a piece at a time -- the wings and motor were packed separately in the box, so those came down by themselves. Again, I had a neighbour help me carry the top unit down and it was not that tough.

But like someone else mentioned, I dread the thought of ever moving the stuff out of the basement!

best,
...art

Dave Potter
01-15-2009, 5:29 PM
Micheal:

I'm like you in that I'm setting up my first shop in a basement location without direct outside access. But, in a way, I'm lucky as my stairs are directly across from my front door. Other than getting full sheets of ply or other sheets goods down there, getting things down there is a snap. But I've experience as a mover so I have an edge over many when it comes to such things. ...But I'm not bragging.:rolleyes:

The suggestion about hiring professional movers is not a bad one at all. Most movers will shoot you a quote, are insured (and make sure they are insured), and will send enough people and equipment to get the job done right. Little jobs like moving a cabinet table saw into your basement are cake-walks to these people.

One thing, though. I strongly recommend you not watch them do their work. It's a lot like sausage making: It's best you not know how it's done.

Dave Potter

Mac McQuinn
01-15-2009, 6:06 PM
Most of my equipment was shipped in broken down form in well packed boxes so I took major parts down separately and assembled everything once it was downstairs. As you assemble it you can take your time to do it right, set up everything correctly and familiarize yourself with operation.....in a nice warm atmosphere. I can't imagine not setting up my own tools for run-out, tension, etc.
Mac

Gary Lange
01-15-2009, 6:21 PM
With a rack built to accommodate an electric wench you can lower all the tools down into your basement by allowing them to slide on rails down the stairs. I say where there is a will there is a way and a rack or frame structure that would set in the doorway upstairs and some sliders on the stairs you could get the equipment down with no problems. Then just set the frame aside for another tool if the need arises.

Anthony Smaldone
01-15-2009, 7:59 PM
It's funny..I just finnished installing an exterior entrance into my basement for the same reason. I had a mason contractor install a 5' wide stair that went down aprox. 7'. to a 5x6 landing. He also cut the 5' opening for the double doors. The job went for $4800 (thats with limestone steps,4200 for formed cement) I have to say it is a pleasure getting things (material) in and out. If you can afford it go that way. Just keeping from beating the hell out of your walls with wood is reason enough.

Anthony

Bob Falk
01-15-2009, 8:25 PM
I have a basement shop with the top of the stairs terminating in a 3' hall way and I have moved down a whole shop, including a Delta Unisaw and Shaper, Roland 12" J/P, 18" Laguna Bandsaw, Oneway 2436 lathe, and a host of other sanders, saws, benchs, etc. I did partially disassemble most of the machines (especially the 1100 lb lathe), but with a couple of strong guys (you might post an ad at a muscleman gym) and an appliance dolly (I bought mine from Home Depot rental for $50), you can move some pretty heavy and ackward stuff. You can remove the tops of the saw and shaper, head and tailstock from the lathe, motor from some machines, and beds from jointers with no problem. I had to reinforce my stairs, no big deal, just a few 2x4's to cut the span in half....now, how will I ever get this stuff out?

Paul Demetropoulos
01-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Michael,
You say you want the "big three" and that solid quality tools equates to heavy, but that's not necessarily so. Given your situation I'd give serious thought as to whether you really need what you may now think you do.

Do you really need a huge cabinet saw. I doubt it. Most of the joint making procedures done on a TS can just as easily be done on a router table and band saw. And if you really want a table saw a small portable with a good fence will probably fill the bill.

Breaking down sheet goods is much easier to do with a circular saw and guide system, and the new ones are super accurate. Take a look at the Eureka EZ system forum and see all the things those guys do with it. There's a Sawmill member named Burt Waddell that posts to that forum all the time. He's got a cabinet shop and has gotten rid of 3 Unisaws and uses that EZ guide system with shop made benches instead. If he can do without a TS you probably can as well.

Do you really need an aircraft carrier of a jointer in your basement. I doubt it. You can edge joint on a router table, wth a straight edge and a router, or with a "Jointibility" type tool; all ways that will probably give a new woodworker better results than a big jointer. And as far as face jointing, there are ways to use a planer to skin that cat.

Down the road, as you gain more experience, you may decide you want one of those big stationary tools. More likely, when you do move, you'll be glad you don't have to get one of those behemoths out of your basement.

Burt Alcantara
01-16-2009, 4:36 PM
Mike,
My shop is in the basement. To get to it I have to enter thru the garage which has a very narrow and low door, up 3 steps going immediately right, down 7 steps to an immediate left, down 14 steps to an immediate right and I'm in the shop.

I have a 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 5hp Cyclone, and a Dewalt 735 that I moved myself with the help of a collapsible luggage roller. My first big tool was a General contractor saw. Got it in with the help of a neighbor and his son.

Recently, I got a Grizzly G0514X2 down with the help of the same neighbor and a younger son. Was really a 2 person move. I was mostly in the way. I took the table and motor off and just slid it down the carpeted stairs. No carpet? Make a sled with cheap ply or moving blankets. Used dollies to move it on flat surfaces.

I'll probably get a 600+ lb lathe in the next few days. Will probably do the same thing. One thing that helped tremendously with the big bandsaw was making a mock up with scraps. I rehearsed the move so I could see where the bad spots were. On moving day it took less then 15 minutes for the entire move to upright.

One advantage of a basement is you're going downhill. I won't mention the disadvantage.

Burt

Curt Harms
01-16-2009, 5:29 PM
SWMBO is a realtor. When we bought a new Townhouse, it had a Bilco door/cast concrete steps and 200 Amp electrical. She knows what's good:D. I have a bandsaw, Jet 12" Jointer/Planer, G1023 saw w/30" table. Everything went down in pieces and it wasn't that bad. Of course if they have to come back up...."hello, Acme moving company?"

Curt

Michael Gibbons
01-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Michael, my shop is also in the basement. The only large tool that I needed help getting down there was the tablesaw ( Unisaw). Everything else was brought down by myself. 16'' drill press, 14" bandsaw, ridgid lathe, 6 in jointer 13' planer, dust collector and hanging air filter. most of the tools come in pieces. You might borrow or invest in a heavy duty handcart. Like the one the beer drivers use. I moved all our belongings when we moved, by myself, with one.

harry strasil
01-17-2009, 11:15 AM
For me, 2by4 skids and a small 4 part block and tackle and an eye thru the frame above the basement door work well to slide things up and down the stairs, Long lumber goes in thru a basement window. the hard part is there is only about a foot between the bottom of the stairs and a basement wall. back when I was younger I used to bring 4 by8 sheets of plywood down the stairs, I hinged the railing so it will swing outa the way to let stuff go off the side of the stairs, I made a clothes line in the basemeent and I use the sq tubing frame to hook to, to lower heavy stuff over the side of the stairs to the floor. Always wanted to build an elevator, I have a spare 10,000 lb capacity tulsa winch I picked up for that purpose, just never got it done.

Michael Peet
01-19-2009, 9:37 AM
Well, I reckon this thread has about run its course. Thanks everyone for your thoughts, suggestions, and encouragement. You have definitely given me some ideas, and more importantly I think you have convinced me that what I want to do is not a big deal.

I'm glad I found this place. :D

Don Bullock
01-19-2009, 7:56 PM
I wish I could get that deal here. I bought my bandsaw at WC, and will also get the SawStop from them (being the only dealer around here). Unfortunately, last I checked they would only do liftgate to my driveway. Maybe I'll swing by tonight on the way home and ask again.

When I checked on buying my SawStop from my Woodcraft they only offered to help me put it on my truck. That was it.:eek:

Randy Walker
01-20-2009, 12:53 AM
I have a dilemma. I am trying to get started in the power tool arena of woodworking. I currently have a 14" bandsaw, 10" SCMS, and 2.5 HP cyclone for dust collection.

I want to acquire "the big three": table saw, jointer, and planer. My problem is that work area is in my basement, and there is no walkout access. Fortunately, I am single so I can use the whole thing :D

I want to invest in solid, quality tools that will last me a good long time. Sadly, this usually means heavy. How do I get these things into my basement?

The options I can think of:

Get smaller, lighter tools, like contractor grade instead.
Try to wrestle the items down the existing stairs. This option frankly scares the heck of out me.
Install a basement egress like Bilco (estimate is around $8,000 to do this). Still have to get the tools down the stairs.
Use the garage. I don't want to use the garage - it's only a 1-car space, I like to park there, and winter is way too cold here in WNY.
Disassemble tools and move piece-by-piece. I believe I've read some recommendations against doing this, as they may not be able to be re-assembled to factory specs.
Move to a location that has either a walkout basement or room for an additional ground-level structure. This is fraught with the obvious complexities and expenses.
I'm sure I'm not the only one in the situation. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike

Go for the bilco doors now. You can get BIG tools and lumber in now and BIG projects out later. Plus later when you arn't single you will have access to the dog house with out going through the main house.:D

Randy