PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Caricature - finally finished (part 1)

Wolf Kiessling
06-25-2004, 6:59 AM
Well, almost. Everything is done except for the clear acrylic finish. I thought I would photograph this before that is done because it should minimize the glare. This has been a long hard row to hoe. What between hospital trips, my chores, SWMBO's chores, and unaccustomed shopping, it was really hard to get any shop time in. In any event, here it is.

It is titled "It ain't easy bein' a Sex Symbol". It is a rather large piece (for a wood carving not done with a chainsaw) at 24" high X 6" wide X 9" deep. This is carved out of basswood and, I've got to say, is the worst piece I ever worked. It was very splintery which made for difficult carving and, because it has some deep nooks and crannies, made the clean up work tedious and difficult. Being a caricature, the tool marks were not removed and that contributed to the sloppy clean up. It is finished with acrylic color washes and, as mentioned above, will be completed with matte (maybe satin, depends on what I have) clear acrylic.

This is the first and only caricature that I, personally, designed and executed. This part shows various views of the entire piece, part 2 will show some of the detail work.

Ken Salisbury
06-25-2004, 7:28 AM
That is some really neat stuff Wolf !!!!

However, it is a matter of ethical conduct to pay a fee to the model you used in this endeavor :D

Joe Tonich
06-25-2004, 8:04 AM

However, it is a matter of ethical conduct to pay a fee to the model you used in this endeavor :D
Wolf,

GREAT job on that carving! You just need to find a prettier "model"!! :eek:
BTW, I think Ken needs to pay YOU!:p :D

Hey Ken,

Ya better watch out, I think there's LAWS against that!! :eek::D :D

Joe

Glenn Clabo
06-25-2004, 8:08 AM
Wolf...Wow! Nice stuff.

Ken...The vision has wrecked my whole week! Nightmares....

Wolf Kiessling
06-25-2004, 8:50 AM

Omigosh!!!!!! You don't need a fee, Ken. After that, you might need bail.

:-)))))))))))

Dick Parr
06-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Very nice Wolfe!