PDA

View Full Version : Is this too much to ask?

Russell Tribby
01-15-2009, 8:13 AM
I ordered some heavy duty side mount ball bearing slides from a company last week. I have a small job, two drawers, that requires the slides. After ordering I checked with a sales manager to confirm the side clearance for the slides. The info he sent me said that I needed 3/4". I built my drawers last week to meet those specs. I got the slides the other day and they require a clearance of 7/8", not 3/4". So now I have two rather large, dovetailed, 1/2" bottom drawers that I can't use with those slides. I sent them an email last night in my frustration explaining my predicament. They have some slides that require 1/2" clearance that I could use instead by just using a spacer. I plan on calling to purchase those slides and asking that they send them next day air at their cost - I am supposed to install the drawers on Saturday. Am I asking too much?

Chris Padilla
01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
No, I don't think you are but at least you've learned that it is usually best to have the hardware on hand so you know for sure. Maybe if you could've gotten some PDF drawings of the or some "official" document on the specs, you could feel better about building without the hardware.

Jim Kountz
01-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I dont think you are asking too much, obviously they gave you the wrong specs for those slides. Chris said it though, whenever possible have the hardware IN HAND before building.

Jim Becker
01-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Hand planes are your immediate friend to shave off 1/16" on either side to save the day.

I've always found it best to get the actual manufacturer's specification sheet for things like that...most are downloadable these days...and I do that even before buying the hardware.

Mark Carlson
01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
How about putting a dado on the side of each drawer to hold the slider?

glenn bradley
01-15-2009, 12:20 PM
How about putting a dado on the side of each drawer to hold the slider?

I'm with Mark. Quick and painless. Its only two drawers, got a shoulder plane? :)

Dave Sepucha
01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
From the sounds of the slides you're describing, I think I just installed the same ones and ran into a similar problem. Though the screw up was my own fault. (By any chance, do these have a 200lb rating?) In my case I just rebuilt the drawers. I'm a newbie though so the practice was welcome.

M. A. Espinoza
01-15-2009, 1:06 PM
I'm with Mark. Quick and painless. Its only two drawers, got a shoulder plane? :)

+2, plane or table saw. Done with care you'll never see it in use. DAMHIKT

BTW there should always be a .pdf available from a manufacturer or vendor for hardware spec's. If you are building without hardware in hand, ALWAYS download or have them e-mail a copy. Now you know why.

Good luck.

Leo Graywacz
01-15-2009, 1:10 PM
I rarely trust paper work specs. Ever notice the little warning that hey hide there somewhere, Specs to change without notice. I hate to trust paperwork, I would rather wait and have the hardware in hand before I build. Sounds like in your case you were pushed for time. I think they should accommodate you with the fast shipping on their wallet.