PDA

View Full Version : looking for phenolic plywood Chicago area?

Bill Stoffels
01-15-2009, 7:49 AM
anyone know where to get about 4 sheets of phenolic backed multiply plywood? in the chicago area I am in Lemont 40 miles west l
Thanks
Bill

Carl Babel
01-15-2009, 9:32 AM
Hi Bill, I know that Woodcraft (one in Woodridge) carries it, but only in quarter-sheets, so this would be really expensive. Could you use something like MDO or HDO Plywood? Most lumber stores (at least, out here i CA) carry these. Some call it sign board. I have been using this for jigs and shop furniture for a while now and really like it: smooth, tough, very flat, core seems high grade - like BB ply.

Good luck in your search. BTW, I grew up near your locale in St. Charles. I actually miss the four seasons, but that's awfully easy to say when it isn't -17 outside. ;)

Bill Stoffels
01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Carl, its -19 right now going to a high of -4
thanks for theinfo I know the 1/4 sheet of $55.00 Cha Ching!!!

Eric DeSilva
01-15-2009, 11:06 AM
I keep seeing references to white cap, which retails to the concrete trade. They are a national chain, and have a branch about 25 mi. out of Chicago:

White Cap Store #603
8124 W. 188th St. , Suite B
Mokena , IL 60448
Phone: 815-464-8828
Fax: 815-464-8868
Hours: M-F 7-5, Sat & Sun Closed

I'm actually headed over to my white cap on Mon. on the same quest--but I'm near DC. I called to check availability, and I think they called the stuff "Wind Form"?

Allen Schmid
01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Ok, so I have been following this thread and wasn't going to ask until I saw Eric reply with a product name "wind form?". I wonder if this phenolic plywood product is the same we use in our heavy rescue team that is called "thin form". A very hard overlay on top of baltic plywood...you can hardly shoot a nail into it. Just searched for the product and found something called on lumberjocks that might have what you need for $51 4x8 sheet at some WC stores, although that might be the 1/4 sheet cost...
Anyways just looking over some threads and this one caught my eye...take care all.
Allen

Eric DeSilva
01-15-2009, 1:51 PM
Might have said thin form with a southern VA accent...

I've been digging around some and what I've been reading suggests that the stuff whitecap sells is *not* the same grade as what Woodcraft sells. The latter is some stuff that seems, variously, called colorfin plywood or Koskisen plywood. The only people that seem to sell it to the public, other than WC, seem to be Roberts Plywood in NY.

Allen Schmid
01-15-2009, 2:18 PM
Should have asked this upfront...are you guys using this for bench tops, saw table tops or what exactly? Just asking
Allen

Eric DeSilva
01-15-2009, 3:10 PM
I used a smaller piece of it as an outfeed table for my TS. I liked the stuff--nice and slick, durable, flat, easy to machine. I was planning on increasing the size of my outfeed table, but WC (where I bought the 2' x 4' piece) doesn't seem to carry anything larger. I also was thinking about using the old piece to build a larger table for my DP, and the rest of the scraps for jigs...

Bill Stoffels
01-15-2009, 5:09 PM
I also called White Cap the use it in forms , its an 11 ply phenolic topped plywood.
a little expensive at $86.00 a 4x8 sheet but much cheaper than the 48 x 24 sheet at woodcraft for $51.00
so I got 4 sheets coming
I will be using it for out feed tables, workbench tops and a router cabinet with a prl fine lift and 3.25 hp porter cable router then the incra LS system
Thanks for all your help.
Bill

Eric DeSilva
01-15-2009, 5:45 PM
If you get yours before Monday, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it, as compared to the pricier stuff from Woodcraft.

Gary Lange
01-15-2009, 6:29 PM
Bill, sorry its so cold up that way. I used to live in Bolingbrook until I retired. Would you go to Giordanno's and have a Stuffed Pizza with Italian Sausage and extra sauce and then PM me about how good it was. Some things I miss from up that way. Oh, it is 7 degrees here in Nixa, Mo. but going to be close to 50 by Sat.

Carl Babel
01-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Gary, why'd you go and have to mention Giordano's pizza? My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Or maybe Lou Malnati's... Or Bacino's...

Mark Ebert
01-16-2009, 9:26 AM
Bill, sorry its so cold up that way. I used to live in Bolingbrook until I retired. Would you go to Giordanno's and have a Stuffed Pizza with Italian Sausage and extra sauce and then PM me about how good it was. Some things I miss from up that way. Oh, it is 7 degrees here in Nixa, Mo. but going to be close to 50 by Sat.

You just helped me make up my mind what I want for dinner tonight! I have a Giordanno's down the street from me, Mmm:D:D

I grew up in Bolingbrook and currently live in Plainfield. It is WAY too cold here these days (I woke up to -24 degrees this morning!). Brr....

Tom Hargrove
01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Aetna Plywood used to carry Phenolic, and still handles almost every kind of sheet material under the sun. They have an office in Chicago, and one in Rockford. They are wholesalers, and may have a minimum order requirement.

As a sort of thread hijack, where are other Chicago area residents buying hardwood lately? I stopped by a local hardwood distributor to buy some cherry, and they were charging over $7.00/BF!! Oak was over $4.00!!

Mark Ebert
01-16-2009, 4:58 PM
Aetna Plywood used to carry Phenolic, and still handles almost every kind of sheet material under the sun. They have an office in Chicago, and one in Rockford. They are wholesalers, and may have a minimum order requirement.

As a sort of thread hijack, where are other Chicago area residents buying hardwood lately? I stopped by a local hardwood distributor to buy some cherry, and they were charging over $7.00/BF!! Oak was over $4.00!!

If you don't mind a drive up North into Wisconsin, Kettle Moraine has a great selection of hardwoods at very decent prices. Closer by, the only places I'm aware of are Owl and The Hardwood Connection. Both of these also have good selections, but are very pricy. If you can wait until he comes to town and want to stock up on larger volumes, Steve from Michigan (Hickory and Oak Custom Sawmilling) comes to the Chicago area at least once a year with a load of lumber. He usually gives advance notice on this board to take orders, then delivers to a central location in the Chicago area (location varies every year) at good prices.

Bill Stoffels
01-18-2009, 8:22 AM
OK I will offer to ship out pizza if you like, I have heard its a common thing now
Let me know I can hook u up if you like
Bill

Dave Hasson
10-30-2009, 1:47 PM
Time to wake up an old thread! Has anyone, since this was posted, found another local source for phenolic plywood in Chicago? I work during the week so a trip to White Cap won't happen (and I doubt one sheet could be bought from Aetna). I'm looking to make an outfeed table and the plans call for this type of plywood. Thanks for any updated info!

Ben Martin
10-30-2009, 4:12 PM
Time to wake up an old thread! Has anyone, since this was posted, found another local source for phenolic plywood in Chicago? I work during the week so a trip to White Cap won't happen (and I doubt one sheet could be bought from Aetna). I'm looking to make an outfeed table and the plans call for this type of plywood. Thanks for any updated info!

If OWL doesn't have it, I would be highly surprised...