PDA

View Full Version : dentured alcohol....

Mike Burroughs
01-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Ok, where is the best place to find dentured alcohol? I went to WallyWorld(walmart) and nothing in the cosmetics isle, asked someone, they thought I was talking about a denture cleaner...lol..The when I kinda explained she sent me to hardware, but no luck there either.

Should I be looking for it at a hobby store vs. a megamart?

Thanks,
Mike B.

Roger Jensen
01-15-2009, 1:01 AM
I'm assuming you mean denatured alchohol. I would be surprised if you couldn't get it at Home Depot or Lowes (or almost any other hardware store). The probably sell it by the quart and the gallon in the paint department.

Roger

John Frazee
01-15-2009, 1:06 AM
Last time I bought denatured alcohol was from Walmart. It was in the hardware section. It comes in a quart can for about $5. Curious what you are needing it for. Freeman Products lied to me one time and told me to dip their figures in it to turn them silver. Well, it messed them up and they refused to help on replacement costs (over $100.00). Anyway, no more Freeman and no more denatured alcohol around here!

Rodne Gold
01-15-2009, 1:51 AM
We dip our figurines in meths to make em silver , you need to swish em about a bit and not leave it in too long.
The "gold" colour is merely a coating of red laquer on the silver base.

Frank Corker
01-15-2009, 5:52 AM
Yep methylated spirits is what I use. Thinning my cermark and working with cermark. Never let me down so far.

Dan Hintz
01-15-2009, 6:39 AM
It will also help finding it if you say it correctly when speaking to the "customer associate" (pronounced "de-natured", as in removing Mother Nature, not like a false set of teeth).

It's nothing more than ethanol (ethyl alcohol) that has been made toxic to drink (i.e., you have removed it's original purpose, or nature) by the addition of some impurity. For those picking up "methylated spirits", they added methanol. You can pick up some non-denatured stuff by looking for grain alcohol (EverClear, one brand name, can be found at some liquor stores). Ethanol is pretty nasty stuff biologically, but it's great for degreasing parts (hence the reason you find it in the hardware department).

Mike Null
01-15-2009, 8:00 AM
DNA is my number one cleaner in my engraving shop. I buy it by the gallon at HD or Sears for less than $15.

Robert Parrish
01-15-2009, 8:09 AM
I get mine at Ace hardware. They have it in quart and gallon cans.

Joe Cunningham
01-15-2009, 9:06 AM
I get denatured alcohol at Ace or Home Depot or the local hardware store. At HD it is near the lacquer thinner and mineral spirits (paint section). My local Ace has it in the same section. The local hardware store has it right next to the minwax stains. I don't normally go to wal-mart, but I would think their hardware section would have it.

Denatured alcohol is called meth or methylated spirits in most other English speaking countries. Since you don't have a location on your profile...

Bill Cunningham
01-15-2009, 10:51 PM
(Just have to reminisce) Our department at the college where I used to work, would buy 5 gallon cans of pure grain alcohol.. Back in the days when we were still training divers with Mk5 equipment (the old old helmets and canvas suits you see on T.V) the only way to de-ice the divers air lines in the winter was to shake a few drops of the stuff down the line (not too much, or the diver could 'woof' in his helmet:D) This would loosen up the ice, and just wack him in the head (like getting shot in the back of the head with a BB gun).. We had to have a special license to buy this stuff, and had to keep a log of all we used, and 'none' ever got used for the graduation punch bowl ..Honest.. :rolleyes: Student would say "What does it taste like" so I would pour a cap full and say try it.. This obviously was winter, and just the heat from his mouth would evaporate it instantly. They never could get a taste.. Like Homer says, Alcohol, the cause of, and the answer to, all of life's problems :D

Frank Corker
01-16-2009, 5:52 AM
That's very funny Bill. :D It made me think about the time that the Frenchies when they were caught out making the wine sweeter by adding car anti-freeze.

Bill Cunningham
01-17-2009, 8:29 PM
That's very funny Bill. :D It made me think about the time that the Frenchies when they were caught out making the wine sweeter by adding car anti-freeze.

Not being much of a wine drinker, sometimes I think I 'am' drinking anti-freeze.. The only one I ever hear is that good Canadian Whine.. Iiii Don't Waaannnaa shovel the drivewayyyyy!!:D

Mike Burroughs
01-22-2009, 4:04 AM
Thanks Joe, found it at the local Farm & Fleet in the paint section. The reason I asked was that I never heard of the stuff nor did I know what it was used for. Anyway, all is good now.

Also, on a blonde moment (though I'm not blonde), when you guys kept refering to DNA for jobs I actually thought you ment 'spit' (get it..D.N.A.).
Now I know what you guys actually refering to. LOL..

Mike

Frank Corker
01-22-2009, 7:17 AM
....Also, on a blonde moment (though I'm not blonde)

....I'm finding that hard to believe!

David H. Mitchell
01-22-2009, 2:17 PM
You can buy it at most liquor stores, from a pint to a gallon. It is much
cheaper this way.

Dave

Mike Burroughs
01-23-2009, 1:39 PM
Was that a friendly poke or ??

mike

Frank Corker
01-23-2009, 6:05 PM
Lighten up Mike. Yes it was a friendly poke.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 6:11 PM
Paints stores often carry DNA too!

David H. Mitchell
01-23-2009, 7:45 PM
Mike, not a poke. I was serious. You can buy Golden Grain or Everclear. Pure grain alcohol. And it is not expensive.

Dave