PDA

View Full Version : Gloat or folly

Bob Vavricka
01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I purchased a Delta 1440 lathe and some tools from Craigs list recently. I have a Jet 1236 lathe so the lathe isn't much of a step up, but the headstock does slide on the ways which does open up some options. I may replace the motor with a 3 phase motor and vfd to slow it down some.
I also bought about 30 assorted tools, a few look homemade, but it included 5 scrapers labeled Richard Raffan, Craft Supply, made by Henry Taylor which look like a good set and I hope are HSS. It included two Nova chucks with additional sets of jaws, faceplates and a bowl toolrest. The jumbo jaws need new posts, but they are Oneway and will fit my Stronghold chuck. I paid $250 for the lathe and $250 for the rest of the items. Pictures attached for proof either way.

Bob Vavricka
01-15-2009, 12:28 AM
More pics of my purchase.

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Congrats Bob! Any time you can pick up a lathe and additional tools it is a gloat! You got some neat looking stuff! Have fun with it!

lynn smith
01-15-2009, 1:18 AM
Alright Bob!!!
Good score

Jeff Nicol
01-15-2009, 6:39 AM
To me it looks like you did great! The lathe is in very fine condition and to buy all the tools one at a time, well that would have been spendy! I have 3 lathes and there are times I want another one! I just love tools and what we can so with them! With the tools you have the option now of grinding some to fit special needs and not feel bad if it comes out not quite right. My cousin bought me a box of lathe tools at a garage sale and I was just tickled! There were a bunch that had been used at a school (they had the schools initials on them) but were not taken care of. Most were ground so badly that you could not do any thing with them! But anyway I take one out now and again when I need a special grind and go at them, it is kind of fun to see what you can make work!

I ramble on again!!

Great buy!

Jeff

Dustin Cranford
01-15-2009, 6:49 AM
Don't know much about most of the tools, but if anything you could use the lathe for a permenant buffing station if nothing else works out for you. Good job. Craigslist around here isn't very good and most of the stuff is several hours drive 1 way.

Terry Quiram
01-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Boy of boy you sure fell into one sweet deal.

Dick Strauss
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Bob,
Welcome to the vortex! You got quite a nice deal for sure. The faceplates alone could run $250.

I sent you a PM about speed modification on the Delta 1440.

Good luck,
Dick

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 4:01 PM
Congrats on a nice haul.

alex carey
01-15-2009, 6:51 PM
Congrats on the new lathe, looks like a pretty good deal. Especially all those tools. 6 face plates, 2 chucks with several attachments and upwards of 15 tools. Seems like you lucked out. Can't wait to see some of the stuff you make.

Alex