PDA

View Full Version : Eliminator Quick Change Chuck

Steven Bolton
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Does anyone have any experience with one of the chucks for a router? Can you use 8MM router bits with it?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Tom Veatch
01-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Here's (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93123&highlight=eliminator+chuck) one of many threads about the chuck. Search the forums for "Eliminator Chuck" for a lot more references. Many folks here with experience and, I believe the experience has generally been good. I wouldn't be without mine. Can't answer the 8mm question.

pat warner
01-15-2009, 9:55 AM
An unreliable accessory. The 1/2" chuck can be sleeved to 8mm but I would not recommend it.

Todd Hyman
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Steve,

I still have one for sale for the DW618. Here is the link.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100933

Joe Scharle
01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I've got a couple; one stays in my Woodrat mounted DW625. I routinely use 1/4 & 8mm insert sleeves in the router. BTW, if I have a choice of 1/4 or 8mm, I always get the 8mm.
Mount the full slit in-line with the compression cam so it can be squeezed together.
Only problems I can address for sure are that some people try to tighten the bit like Bubba at Walmart tires or leaving a bit mounted for 2 weeks.

Actual experience may vary.

Tom Veatch
01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
An unreliable accessory. ...

Interesting, and counter to my experiences. Pat, what do you find unreliable about it?

pat warner
01-15-2009, 5:44 PM
Both the Eliminator & Jacobs were trying to solve a problem that didn't exist. Self releasing collets work.
Both with balance problems, the Eliminator (tho with a grip like a vise) always putting a ding in the shank.
T

Steven Bolton
01-15-2009, 8:14 PM
When Pat speaks, I listen.

Thanks for the information.

Steve Bolton

Tom Veatch
01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, Pat.

Not sure what problem they were trying to solve, but what the Eliminator does for me is greatly simplify above the table bit changes on my table mounted router. It can be done without any aftermarket accessories. If the lift is raised against the stop, and the insert removed, there's just enough room to get the wrenches around the collet nut and shaft. The Eliminator makes it much more convenient - except when I'm forced to use a bit with 1/4" shaft and adapter. Almost always, the adapter doesn't come out with the bit. Instead it drops to the bottom of the cavity and I have to break out the wrenches and remove the chuck to get the adapter out.

Haven't noticed any increased vibration or shank damage since installing mine. Haven't measured runout either before or after, but haven't seen anything that I'd attribute to excessive runout. Overall, I don't think I want to go back to the way it was before.

jack loganbill
04-20-2009, 5:41 PM
The Eliminator chuck works very well. You might say that it answers a question that was not asked, but I disagree.

They are great for any router application but really shine when access to the router collet is limited, for instance in a router table or in my case, behind the plunge bars on the Woodrat.

Regardless, anyone who struggles with loosening or tightening a router collet, for any reason, can benefit from the Eliminator Chuck.

Jack Loganbill
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com
http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/document/woodrat_eliminator_chuck.pdf
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/eliminatorchuck01.htm

pat warner
04-20-2009, 6:24 PM
Maybe it's time to take another look.
Notwithstanding, I've tried the thing in a dozen hand routers, all had resonance problems.
In the router table, you won't notice as much, but in hand, it has been significant.

Chris Rosenberger
04-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I have been using the Eliminator chucks for several years without any problems. For me they really shine in my router tables & Legacy Mill. I also have a few hand held routers with them.

Chip Lindley
04-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Um, Pat?...it's not called the *Eliminator* for nuttin! A wrenchless solution to changing bits was the problem, and was solved very well !

Porter-Cable solved the self-release problem with addition of the *E-clip* on their chuck nose several years ago!

Chris Padilla
04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
As long as you do not crank hard on the screw to tighten the bit in the Elimnator, it should work very well. It doesn't take much to hold it fast in the Elimnator.

Bob Hallowell
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I have the router xtreme xtension mounted on my big bosch that sits in a lift. I works great I detect no runout or has it damaged a bit. It uses an allen key like the eliminator. I would recomend it to anyone.

Bob

Rob Wright
04-21-2009, 2:06 PM
I have an eliminator mounted on my homebuilt cnc. It sure makes bit changes a breeze. I will say that getting it mounted squarely on the router took more than a few tries to get it seated:mad:. I thought that it was pretty good until I put that 1.5" spoil board surfacing bit in it and heard the off-balance hum of the bit. I then took my time to again install and set it up correctly.

I use 3/8, 8mm, 1/4, and 1/8 collets with it. I am very happy with the performance now.

Joel Earl
04-21-2009, 2:10 PM
Same as Bob - only been in use for a couple of weeks now but I like it, works as claimed so far.