PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box...

Ted Calver
01-14-2009, 9:47 PM
...in elm with a spalted maple lid and ebony finial. 2-1/2" high by 8" wide, Watco'd and buffed. Started as an experiment with the intention of filling it with hand made truffles for a Christmas gift but it never made it past the missus. Now it sits on the coffee table and we move it every time the Wii gets used for fear someone will stab themselves on the top. :)

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 9:51 PM
Ted, nice box and good job on the finial, I see what you mean though thats a potential weapon there!! I love it!!

David Christopher
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Ted, nice looking box. I made a finial tonight but after looking at yours I will have to start over

Randy Hoch
01-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Ted,
I really like the design and the finial really sets it off. Did the cross grain orientation cause the elm to oblongate? I assume that the lid is loose-fit for one hand opening. I'm not surprised that this one never made it out of your house!

Randy

Dewey Torres
01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Ted,
That baby looks great! Nice photo work as well I might add.

Chuck Jones
01-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Two, make that three great pieces of wood and a nice shape. I like it. Not sure I've seen that much red in a spalted maple piece. Could it be someone has already fallen victim? Naw. Surely not.

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2009, 9:12 AM
Very nice work Ted! Good combination of woods! Really like the spalted maple! I can see why your wife likes it! Nice photos as well!

George Conklin
01-15-2009, 1:00 PM
That's a beautiful piece, Ted.
I have a question for you about your finishing technique. I like the beautiful satin sheen. You state that you used Watco and then buffed. What is your buffing process?

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2009, 2:12 PM
That is a beauty Ted and a great looking finial. Well done especially when the misses doesn't let it go.

Ted Calver
01-15-2009, 6:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!
...Randy, the wood was very dry when I turned it and hasn't moved enough to affect function. The top is a close fit but is still a one hander.
...George, I use the Beal system with tripoli and white diamond wheels. I don't use the wax wheel anymore because the wax finish reacts so badly to water spots. Instead, i wipe down the white diamond finish with a soft cloth and then apply renaissance wax and hand buff with another soft cloth.
Thanks again for looking :)

Ron Crosby
04-09-2009, 9:35 PM
Hey Ted, I really like this box!

Jarrod McGehee
04-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Sweet box. that looks really nice

steven carter
04-10-2009, 7:15 AM
Nice job Ted, I really like this one. Seems like a better change that someone would get spiked on the bottom though:D.

Steve