PDA

View Full Version : ASPIRE: It's Easy !!!!!

Angus Hines
01-14-2009, 8:57 PM
Now granted I didn't do anything but use one of the pre made 3-D models that came with it.

But it was basically a Plug - N - Cut operation.

Now, keep in mind this is all a first for me. I have never used a CNC machine before, I have never opened or played with Aspire before (didn't have time till today). And this is the first run on my new Bot (less the dust collector, I just couldn't wait anymore and it was just pink foam)..

So any and all reviews are welcome.

Anyway:

Import 3-D image from the 50 that come with Aspire.

Place in desired location on work piece

Size and check thickness.

Convert to vectors (the little birdie icon in the drawing tools)

Check thickness again in the Componet manager under set exact size.

Select vectors

Toolpath 1/8 Ball Nose

CUT

Wait

DONE !!! :D

Keith you can do the flag box it's easy !!!!:D

{cross posted on other forums that we all read}

Darren Salyer
01-14-2009, 9:14 PM
Very nice!!!!

James Jaragosky
01-14-2009, 9:57 PM
Very nice!!!!
Nice now I wont be able to amaze you anymore.:(

Darren Salyer
01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Nice now I wont be able to amaze you anymore.:(

There will always be guys like me you can still amaze, James..lol

Keith Outten
01-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Angus,

You learn real fast :)
I'm impressed!!!
I can't imagine what you will be doing next week considering the results of your very first ShopBot job.
Very Nice Work.

Steven DeMars
01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Very nice . . .you guys have got very excited . . . CNC Router in the near future coming . .. :)

Steven DeMars
01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Now granted I didn't do anything but use one of the pre made 3-D models that came with it.

But it was basically a Plug - N - Cut operation.

Now, keep in mind this is all a first for me. I have never used a CNC machine before, I have never opened or played with Aspire before (didn't have time till today). And this is the first run on my new Bot (less the dust collector, I just couldn't wait anymore and it was just pink foam)..

So any and all reviews are welcome.

Anyway:

Import 3-D image from the 50 that come with Aspire.

Place in desired location on work piece

Size and check thickness.

Convert to vectors (the little birdie icon in the drawing tools)

Check thickness again in the Componet manager under set exact size.

Select vectors

Toolpath 1/8 Ball Nose

CUT

Wait

DONE !!! :D

Keith you can do the flag box it's easy !!!!:D

{cross posted on other forums that we all read}

So how long did it take to run that? Are you running standard or PRS, router or spindle?

Looks good . .

james mcgrew
01-15-2009, 6:50 AM
angus we have a fellow in our group who is teaching us aspire online, in a million years i never thought i would do this in my shop i have always outsourced the corbels, carvings, and related parts. you have made the right investment in a machine and the software.

now, let's have some real fun!! and maybe this time i'll remember it!!!

jim

james mcgrew
01-15-2009, 7:52 AM
with that deeeep gantry the sky is the limit!!

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/17997/32356.html?1216310666

Angus Hines
01-15-2009, 8:17 AM
Steven it's a PRS Alpha It took about 2 hours to run it's 12x12" the reason so long is I just let it use all the defaults and the default speed for the 1/8" ball nose is apparently .80 ips X&Y with a Z speed of .30 IPS. ON pink foam I probalby could have bumped these up by about 4x but I just liked listening to the machine run.

Jim Mc.

Where the online classes at ??? Cause now I really need to learn how the 'tools work' instead of just the basic applications.

And I had a similar idea with those hores as with the african head I like that.

james mcgrew
01-15-2009, 8:19 AM
for those who may be interested vectric's discount offer is expiring jan 31

angus i sent you a pm on camheads give me a call

jim

Angus Hines
01-15-2009, 8:19 AM
The impeller will be here today SO I'm gonna try do the Happy Dog 3-D - A graphic in a piece of teak.

And while thats cutting it will be to work on the Vac system and get that in place.

James Jaragosky
01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
The impeller will be here today SO I'm gonna try do the Happy Dog 3-D - A graphic in a piece of teak.

And while thats cutting it will be to work on the Vac system and get that in place.
Teak will dull your bits very fast due to the wood containing silica, or so I am told.

Angus Hines
01-15-2009, 2:07 PM
THanks James I didnt know...Off to find a new wood :D

Once again my 6 Bucks saved me....about 60.00

james mcgrew
03-12-2009, 4:07 PM
vectric has released aspire 2 with nesting, fluting and a bunch of other great and neede features

jim

Angus Hines
03-12-2009, 8:05 PM
Playing with it now the new features are just to KOOL FOR SCHOOL :D

vectric has released aspire 2 with nesting, fluting and a bunch of other great and neede features

jim

Michael Kowalczyk
03-12-2009, 10:42 PM

jim
Hey Jim,
just checked it out and that flute section is what I have been after for the last few years. many other neat features that are very usable. I may have to look into it further if ArtcamPro doesn't step up to the plate with what I need.

Does it have the ability to user define your own tools? Like a thumbnail round over bit. It has multiple radiuses in it. So I would need to be able to use a cross section to design the tool.

Can it do it????? Can it? Can it? Please tell me yes!!!!

OK enough groveling. Worth taking a second look for me.
Keep us posted.

Thanks and ...

james mcgrew
03-13-2009, 2:57 AM
we have two in our area who have switched and purchased aspire!

yes to tool definitions and profiles

yes to fluting, nesting and prism

jim

Angus Hines
03-13-2009, 6:30 AM
Love the disco ball in the last pic Jim.....LOL

Keith Outten
03-13-2009, 7:33 AM
Thanks for the heads up guys, I downloaded my Aspire V2 update this morning and have been watching the videos. Looks like Vectric is giving away almost every tool that everyone has been asking for since V1 shipped. They are a first class software company.

New fluting tools, nesting, slicing, prism letters, AutoCad dwg and dxf drawing imports through V2008, more roughing tool options, and a bitmap export for 3D laser engraving and Carveright machines. This is an awesome upgrade!