PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry Bowl...I think

Chuck Jones
01-14-2009, 8:17 PM
I'm pretty sure this is mulberry, but if anyone thinks differently I'd like to know. Came from a tree that volunteered too close to my son's well shed and had to be removed. He didn't pay much attention to it, but thinks the leaves were large and shaped like mulberry leaves. Had some trouble with it checking, but otherwise it turned nicely.

The bowl is 7 1/4" x 3" and walls are about 1/4 - 3/8. Wall looks thicker because of my attempt at a "cantilevered" rim which I'm not sure I like. Finished with Waterlox and Beall buffed.

I'm fairly new at this so any comments and suggestions welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2009, 8:20 PM
That bowl is a beauty Chuck. I like the finish and simple form. I do believe that is mulberry. It looks identical to the mulberry I roughed out about a month ago.

Don Carter
01-14-2009, 8:25 PM
Chuck:
That is a beautiful bowl. I love me some big thick bowls. I like the rim treatment and the wood is very nice. Great workmanship!

All the best.

Don

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2009, 8:38 PM
Good looking bowl Chuck! Pleasing form, color and finish! I do like the slightly slanted rim! Looking forward to seeing your next bowl!

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 9:59 PM
I guess Im going to have to bite the bullet and get me one of those buffing setups. I see alot of things here that have been done with it and they always look fantastic.
This one is no exception, Chuck outstanding!!

David Christopher
01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Chuck, pretty sure that is mullbery, I have a fair amount of it and it looks the same BTW that is a beautiful bowl

Cody Colston
01-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Yep, that's Mulberry and a beautiful bowl, too...great finish.

Tom Lewis
01-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Beautiful bowl Chuck.

Randy Hoch
01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Chuck,
I know it's Mulberry cause it says so right on the bottom! From what I've heard, its a darn nice wood to turn. This is a real nice piece.

Randy