PDA

View Full Version : What Bandsaw should I Purchase?

Brian Key Parker
01-14-2009, 6:14 PM
I am toying with the Idea of Purchasing a laguna Bandsaw. There are two I am looking at, the LT16, and a LT16 3000. May not sound like much of a difference, but the LT16 is Bulgarian made with a Baldor Motor, no foot brake.

The LT16 3000 is a asian saw with a leeson motor which includes a foot brake with a micro switch for tuning off the saw when it is stepped on. They are both the same price.

My question is should I buy the LT16 Bulgarian saw. Or should I buy the LT16 3000 the asian saw. Is there anyone who could offer an opinion. or should I look at another manufacture.

Thank you
Brian Key

Doug Shepard
01-14-2009, 6:48 PM
I know nothing about either machine but I almost never use the footbrake to stop my MM16. I dont think I'd wiegh that feature very high in determining one saw or the other. I know others do use the brake but I dont like the idea of putting the mechanical wear/tear on the saw to stop it that way. I just smack the big red switch.

Chris Padilla
01-14-2009, 6:53 PM
I use the foot brake every time I shut my MM20 down. I just like the idea of that appendage-removing blade not moving when I'm done using it. :)

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 7:08 PM
A shop I worked in some years ago had a saw with the foot brake on it. That thing never got used. In fact the only time my foot ever came in contact with it was when I tripped over the stupid thing. I wouldnt base my purchase on one thats for sure.

Chris: One technique to try is not putting any of your appendages near the blade until it stops!!;);):eek:

Chris Padilla
01-14-2009, 7:21 PM
When I slice veneers on my bandsaw (I cut such that the veneer is on the fence side of the blade), the veneer, once free from the board, is "stuck" behind the blade so I like to stop the blade using the brake and then pull the veneer out.

I dunno...I just like that blade stopped when I'm done...seems safer to me.

Also, at least on the MM20, with the mobility kit, the little wheel stick fits into a slot on the footbrake to allow one to move the bandsaw around. I think the blade on my MM20 would spin around for a good 5 minutes before it came to a stop.

Tom Godley
01-14-2009, 8:25 PM
I use the foot brake on my MM16 -- but I do not think it would make me pick it over another saw.

The motor would make no difference to me - especially since both are quality brands. FWIW if it were an asian motor I would not care -- I have never had any problem with any of them!

I know when I was looking it was very hard to find anyone who had a saw for me to look at -- I ended up with the MM because I knew it was a quality tool that many liked. Not the most practical way to by a tool.

Dave Lehnert
01-14-2009, 8:38 PM
I think I would be much more concerned about buying a Laguna than if it had a brake or not. Do a search. But there customer service is not at the top of the list. There bandsaw is considered to be top of the line by many woodworkers.

Jim Becker
01-14-2009, 8:58 PM
I have used the foot brake on my MM16 a number of times, but it was for special situations, such as what Chris spoke about.

On the LT16, consider it's a pretty light saw. Many folks have found that the heavier HD version (or equivalent from another brand) is a better buy in the long run when you move in to a Euro type saw.

BTW, Welcome to the 'Creek!!

Joe Mioux
01-14-2009, 9:06 PM
I use my foot brake on my saw frequently. I would rather have the blade stopped prior to moving the wood away.

joe

Bruce Page
01-14-2009, 9:13 PM
It looks to me that they both have a foot brake. :confused:

I'm with Doug, I almost never use the foot brake.

I can't say which is better but I’d probably go with the European simply because they have been building woodworking machinery for a long time.

Welcome to SMC

Andrew Joiner
01-14-2009, 9:55 PM
I like the the Asian model. It is 100LBS heavier, but has a smaller table. Hopefully the extra mass is in frame and wheels. It has a quick release too.
The European's have been building woodworking machinery for a long time, but the Asians have that fine heritage of making good copies!

guy knight
01-14-2009, 10:19 PM
i use my foot brake all the time love it on my mm20 as for the lt16 it isnt of the same caliber as the hd16 i would look at the ss or rikon 18 or go with there hd or the mm16

Larry Charlot
01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I install both Baldor and Leeson 1hp motors at work and would go with the Baldor any day of the week. Longer lasting, more efficient and run cooler.

Larry

Mike Heidrick
01-15-2009, 12:25 AM
If I was buying ~$1K asian import it would be a Grizzly G0514X2.
If I was buying 16" Itallian - MM16.
I bought MM20.
Need more than that? - you need a Bandmill.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2009, 1:05 AM
I use the foot brake on my MM-16 regularly.

Eric Sayre
01-15-2009, 3:33 AM
Brian,

If I were choosing between the two, I would probably go with the LT16-3000.

I was in the market for a bandsaw last year and had a budget of $900. I ended up buying a Laguna LT18. (I went over my budget.) I love the Laguna. They had a bad reputation a few years ago for poor customer service, but they treated me very well with excellent follow-up.

Good luck!

Mike Wilkins
01-15-2009, 9:46 AM
Have had a Laguna LT18 since 2001 and love it. I would not let the foot brake issue determine which machine to buy. I did not get my machine for the brake anyway; it is just an afterthought, but I do use it just because it's there.

Bill White
01-15-2009, 9:56 AM
that I bought in 1978. It has a Leeson motor. Had a starter condenser changed out 2 yrs. ago. Them's good motors. Brake? You don't need no steenkin' brake (until ya NEED to stop the blade in a hurry).
Bill

james bell
01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I did a lot of research on the MM16 and the Laguna 16 - based on the reviews I read, went with the MM16 and very happy with her. However, I did purchase a number of blades from Laguna.