PDA

View Full Version : New Toy, Sawdust and Firewood

Rich Boehlke
01-14-2009, 6:01 PM
It's here! The new Mustard Monster arrived and I finally got some time to try it out. This is one nice machine, smooth as butter compared to the old "shake rattle and roll" that just went away.
Mounting a piece of shaggy bark juniper, I proceeded to remove everything that didnt look like a goblet. Things went along OK until parting off at a nicely thin base. Some tear out was discovered so I went to touch it up when suddenly BANG! A nasty catch and it shattered like a piece of tempered glass. So, back it goes from whence it came, the firewood pile.

Judging by my success (or lack thereof) it seems some education would be in order. Craft Supplies in Prove seems to have an impressive class and instructor line up and they are within driving distance.

Anyone have recommendations or first hand experience with the education program at Craft Supplies? I would rate myself as a beginning turner.

Bill Bolen
01-14-2009, 6:10 PM
Congrats on the new MM! Can you feel my drool from here?..Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2009, 6:17 PM
Congrats on your new lathe! Looks like you have everything set up great! Have fun with it!

Don Carter
01-14-2009, 6:42 PM
Rich:
There is nothing like taking a new lathe for a spin! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it for years to come.
All the best.

Don

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 6:50 PM
That thing is was too clean, get out there and make some shavings!! Congrats on the new machine!!

Curt Fuller
01-14-2009, 6:57 PM
Judging by my success (or lack thereof) it seems some education would be in order. Craft Supplies in Prove seems to have an impressive class and instructor line up and they are within driving distance.

Anyone have recommendations or first hand experience with the education program at Craft Supplies? I would rate myself as a beginning turner.
A few guys in my turning club have taken the 3 and 5 day classes at Craftsupplies and they rave about them.

Jeff Nicol
01-14-2009, 7:55 PM
Mine has a very nice patina going on it and the stories it could tell! I love my Mustard Monster! Get busy and show us one that did not blow up!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2009, 7:58 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. Like Jim said way to clean.

Alan Trout
01-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Really nice lathe. Congratulations and get making some curls.

Alan

Randy Hoch
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Rich,
I had to smile when I read your post - brings back good memories of setting up my 3520B four months ago. I love it. Now you've got to get a photo with you and Mr. Mustard and post it to the "sticky" of Members and their lathes.
Congratulations!

Randy

Larry Marley
01-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Congratulations Rich!

Rich Boehlke
01-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Rich,
I had to smile when I read your post - brings back good memories of setting up my 3520B four months ago. I love it. Now you've got to get a photo with you and Mr. Mustard and post it to the "sticky" of Members and their lathes.
Congratulations!

Randy

Thanks for the pointer to "Members and their lathes" I was not aware there was such a forum. I'm a new kid here, still getting to know the lay of the land. My wife took a picture with a bandage on my head from running into a duct collection drop during lathe setup. Maybe that's the one to post...

Jon Lanier
01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
SWEET! :cool:

alex carey
01-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Congrats, make sure to post pictures of your work.

Barry Stratton
01-15-2009, 9:43 AM
Congrats on the new toy, you will L-O-V-E it!!

It does crack me up to see a shiny 3520b with a pen mandrel in it:eek: Get a man sized hunk of wood on that thang and get `er dirty!!!!

Pete Jordan
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Rich,

Welcome to the Yellow side!

Rich Boehlke
01-15-2009, 3:28 PM
I hear ya. The pen mandrel was a Christmas present so I better use it. I also need to find a source of big hunks of wood to play with.

Bill Keehn
01-15-2009, 4:05 PM
I want one. But where is your ballast?

Ron Ainge
01-15-2009, 4:53 PM
I have not taken a course for Craft Supply but I do know most of the guys that they list as turners and if I could clear the time I would not hesitate taking the course. I have been to 3 of the Utah Woodturning Symposiums and have seen several of the instructors turn there they are all great guys and will teach you a lot. I am now the VP of the Rocky Mountain Woodturners and I to the selection for the Demonstrators for our club and if I could talk any on the Utah 5 into coming to demo for our club it would be a done deal.

I hope you can go and I know you will have a great time.

Rich Boehlke
01-15-2009, 8:03 PM
I want one. But where is your ballast?

It's on my to do list. Unfortunately, it sometimes gets pre-empted by my Honey Do list.

Barry Stratton
01-15-2009, 8:40 PM
It's on my to do list. Unfortunately, it sometimes gets pre-empted by my Honey Do list.

Rich, in my experience, you do not need any ballast with your PM3520b. It is plenty heavy enough "as-is". If it starts shaking/walking across the floor, turn the speed down. Mine routinely handles hunks like this green ash that would send Alex running into the house screaming for momma without a hitch.:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM1943483x600.jpg

Jim Underwood
01-15-2009, 11:01 PM
I've sat in on demos by Mike Mahoney, Dale Nish, Kirk DeHeer, and Ray Key, and I'll vouch for every one of them as instructors. I'd take a class by any one of them in a heartbeat.

If you're within driving distance, I think you're one lucky guy.:cool: