PDA

View Full Version : Well, I FINALLY made handles for my Thompson's

Toney Robertson
01-14-2009, 5:30 PM
I have had them for a while so it was time to make some handles. The maple ones are about 16" and the oak ones are 12". The oak came from a pallet runner.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/Tools/IMG_2909.jpg

Now can someone teach me how to use them!! :)

Toney

Allen Schmid
01-14-2009, 5:38 PM
Toney,
Nice looking handles, they are fun to make and give you a sense of accomplishment especially when you put them on such nice tools...Oh, and I really like the curlies, nice touch!
Allen

Jon Lanier
01-14-2009, 5:43 PM
Those are sweet. Congratulations on new tools and nice turning on the handles!

Dahl Troy Perry
01-14-2009, 5:51 PM
Toney I hope you made a few extras you will need them in the neer future!:rolleyes: Those look good think I seen them in the first stages of being made:D

Dahl

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2009, 5:54 PM
Toney - great looking handles! You will love the Thompson line of tools - I sure do! Really like the photo - real artful!

Benjamin Dahl
01-14-2009, 6:00 PM
Toney, they are nice handles and I agree with Steve that the photo is excellent. great lighting.

Frank Townend
01-14-2009, 6:34 PM
The handles are great and your photograph is super. Good job on both.

Brian Brown
01-14-2009, 6:41 PM
Cool tools, Great looking handles, and by the way, NICE PICTURE

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 6:51 PM
Good looking handles and I love the curlies in there, looks pro!!

Randy Schaffer
01-14-2009, 7:15 PM
Very nice. The image is superior too. Those ferrules look exceptional. How did you do those?

George Clark
01-14-2009, 7:35 PM
Toney,

It's already been said but I' going to say it again. Really nice handles and an outstanding photograph.

George

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2009, 7:54 PM
Great handles Toney. Very nicely done. Yep the curlies make the pic's.

Toney Robertson
01-14-2009, 8:17 PM
Very nice. The image is superior too. Those ferrules look exceptional. How did you do those?

Randy,

The ferules are just flare fitting nuts from your local hardware's plumbing department. I turned the tenon and threaded the flare nuts on. I made the tenon just large enough that the nut cut the threads. I then glued on the nut with epoxy. Put it back on the lathe and used a file to round the nut down. Sanded and polished.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Toney

Jim Becker
01-14-2009, 8:43 PM
Wonderful handles and an outstanding photo!

Allen Schmid
01-15-2009, 8:53 AM
Toney,
Would you mind listing what the exact tools are that you have there...I see a few different ones pertaining to the v-groove on the gouges and also the grinds... Will help me (and others) as I consider some of the Thompson gouges to purchase. Oh, and nice ferules you have there...I have always gone the copper pipe route but will have to make some changes for my next handles. Nice work.
Thanks,
Allen

Scott Lux
01-15-2009, 9:54 AM
Now can someone teach me how to use them!! :)

Just send them to Jon, Steve, Bernie, or any of the experienced guys here (i.e. not me) for a couple of months. When you get them back,they will know everything they need to know. Just make sure you pick the right guy. Otherwise they'll come back too dumb to use. :D

Lux

Toney Robertson
01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Toney,
Would you mind listing what the exact tools are that you have there...I see a few different ones pertaining to the v-groove on the gouges and also the grinds... Will help me (and others) as I consider some of the Thompson gouges to purchase. Oh, and nice ferules you have there...I have always gone the copper pipe route but will have to make some changes for my next handles. Nice work.
Thanks,
Allen

Allen,

Starting on the right: 1 1/4" Skew, 5/8" V Bowl Gouge, 5/8" Spindle Gouge.

Starting on the left: 3/4" Skew, 3/8" V Bowl Gouge, 3/8" Detail Gouge.

Thanks for the comments.

Toney

Randy Schaffer
01-15-2009, 1:54 PM
Randy,

The ferules are just flare fitting nuts from your local hardware's plumbing department. I turned the tenon and threaded the flare nuts on. I made the tenon just large enough that the nut cut the threads. I then glued on the nut with epoxy. Put it back on the lathe and used a file to round the nut down. Sanded and polished.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Toney

Well those are beautiful. I have used those flare nuts on thin walking sticks before but I would not have guessed that is what you did here. Really a fine looking package all around. Those tools look superb.

Doug Thompson
01-15-2009, 1:57 PM
Remember this outstanding picture, I will try to use it in the future... some people have the talent.