PDA

View Full Version : Loc-Line Dust System

Randy Schaffer
01-14-2009, 5:13 PM
I am thinking of ordering this simple shop vac dust collector device from Lee Valley. I am not going to be doing any larger scale dust collector anytime soon, but with the new lathe generating all sorts of dust, I wondered if this thing would be a good and fairly inexpensive buy.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Loc-Line (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,42401&p=58751)from Lee Valley.

Allen Schmid
01-14-2009, 5:46 PM
Randy,
I had been looking through the "workshop" forum and say a thread yesterday that had something that looked like that system set up for a bandsaw (if I remember right). It may be a few pages back but it's worth a spending some time over there.
Allen

ps it was not listed as anything under the Loc-Line but was a photo attached to someones response

Randy Schaffer
01-14-2009, 5:49 PM
Thanks Allen I will take a look over there.

Dan Bertenthal
01-14-2009, 6:17 PM
It's a quality product and works well for sanding smaller items like pens and chisel handles. The joints between the segments are quite stiff so the pieces tend to stay the way that you arrange them. An added bonus is that it's made here in the States.

FYI, my setup consists of an Oneida Dust-Deputy and Shop-Vac, 2" fixed ductwork with three branches and blast gates, and the branch for the lathe ends with a 2-foot length of Loc-Line with the orange-colored square-funnel mouthpiece.

With my setup, I find that the pieces I sand need to be directly in front of the mouthpiece. The limited airflow from Shop-Vacs probably has something to do with this (Shop-Vacs have high static pressure but move low volumes of air) and a true dust collector would probably perform better. Loc-Line's mouthpiece isn't that large compared with what's available for 4" systems, and it might be possible to jury-rig a larger mouthpiece provided that you have enough airflow (Loc-Line is probably rigid enough to handle the added weight).

All-in-all, it's a decent product that does what it says. It's somewhat expensive, though I've found it worth the price. If you go ahead, please report back on how it works for your setup.

d

Mark Hubl
01-14-2009, 6:26 PM
Randy,

I may have posted it ( I also posted my bandsaw setup in another post). It is under the subject "just a test". It is a pic of the dust collection on my drill press. I just added the locline and like it quite a bit. I am going to pick up the square end next time I am at Rockler.Here is the link to the other thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101504

On my mini lathe I use a big gulp hooked to the DC, I also have a shroud that can be bought at Woodcraft that is clear and is attached via rare earth magnets. I like it for small stuff. It may work with a reducer pretty well with a shop vac.

Randy Schaffer
01-14-2009, 7:19 PM
Thanks Mark. That looks good in your images on the saw. I think I will order this setup and see how it goes. It looks like it may work for me.

Allen Schmid
01-14-2009, 9:15 PM
Randy (and Mark),
Yes, that was the thread I had visited. Glad you could jump in Mark...things have a way of working out now and again.
Allen