PDA

View Full Version : Top down weather....

Rick Potter
01-14-2009, 5:08 PM
My admiration goes out to all of you folks in the midwest. Sounds like the 'big chill'.

I moved from Cleveland as a kid, and long ago decided I am not tough enough to handle winters there anymore. As I write this, we are having an above normal week. It is 84 degrees, and was 56 degrees last night. It should be in the low 60's this time of year. Maybe we should drop top on the ol' Mustang and go to a drive in movie tonight.

I hope it blows over soon for you. Well, gotta go water my palm tree.

Rick Potter

PS: If this sounds too bragadocious, I apologize. I simply couldn't resist.

David G Baker
01-14-2009, 6:08 PM
When I went to bed last night it was 11 below in Mid Michigan. Around 1:15 AM our power went out. I didn't catch it until around 2:10 AM. Got up dressed very warmly, hooked up our generator, clicked the switch over and stayed toasty for the rest of the night. The temperature outside was -16. The power came back on around 5:20 AM. I shut down the system and went back to bed.
It was actually quite nice out, no wind, the stars were out, the moon was around 3/4 full (or waning, not sure which) and my nostrils were starting to stick together when I breathed. I did my tour of "Top Down Weather" in California, too much smog, etc for me. I will take the snow and cold anytime. Humidity on the other hand I can't stand. I might have to change my mind, I slipped and fell going down the steps after clearing the snow off of the deck and landed on the snow shovel in the middle of my back. :o

Kurt Strandberg
01-14-2009, 6:42 PM
My admiration goes out to all of you folks in the midwest. Sounds like the 'big chill'.

I moved from Cleveland as a kid, and long ago decided I am not tough enough to handle winters there anymore. As I write this, we are having an above normal week. It is 84 degrees, and was 56 degrees last night. It should be in the low 60's this time of year. Maybe we should drop top on the ol' Mustang and go to a drive in movie tonight.

Rick Potter

Sure, rub it in :) -26° tonight here in Princeton Minnesota, only 110° difference

Frank Guerin
01-14-2009, 6:47 PM

Rick Potter

It hasn't toped 80 here in couple of weeks and I'm freezing.
I lived in Pomona for about 15 years so know where you are.

Paul Ryan
01-14-2009, 6:50 PM
Kurt,

You are in the same boat as I. Currently it is -13 I am expecting a pretty fun morning. I just got the drive way plowed out. It really wouldn't be so bad if the wind wasn't blowing like mad. I just came from worthington earlier today and it was real nasty there. But friday it all ends I am on my way to the balmy caribbean for some time.

Robert Parrish
01-14-2009, 8:49 PM
Were going down to 40 tonight here in Florida but back up to 67 tomorrow!

Dennis Peacock
01-14-2009, 9:13 PM
I actually enjoy the cold weather. Even ride my motorcycle to work most days I can. Rode the other day at 26º F not counting the windchill at 60MPH. ;)

Brian Effinger
01-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, since no one has said it yet, Rick - You Suck! :D

Here in Buffalo, it is a balmy 8 above, with a wind chill of -4. Balmy compared to some of you guys in MN.

Paul Ryan
01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Dennis,

Do you wear a full face helmet. I find if I drive when it is cooler like that I get ice cream headaches. So I have to have my forhead and my face covered. A couple of years ago I put 100 miles on a snowmobile one evening when the air temp was -19 and I was driving 60+ into that so who knows what the windchill was. It wasn't bad because I was dressed for it. But I will tell you when the temp gets below zero boy do the sleds make power then. You can really feel the difference. I posted earlier that it was -13. The air temp is -18 now and the wind is still howling weather.com says -42 below with wind chill. Barbados here I come.

Curt Harms
01-15-2009, 3:09 AM
[quote=Paul Ryan;1019870.... I posted earlier that it was -13. The air temp is -18 now and the wind is still howling weather.com says -42 below with wind chill. Barbados here I come.[/quote]

I spent about a year and a half there. One stretch was around -30 or -40 and windy. I do remember the wind chill was a nice even -100F. I miss that like I miss having a social disease;).

Dick Rowe
01-15-2009, 6:20 AM
Current temp here is -20 with wind chills at -35 to -45.

All the schools in the area are closed down for the day.

Larry Edgerton
01-15-2009, 8:06 AM
-28 here in upper Michigan this morning. I'm going ice fishing, but I won't be spending too much time out of the truck!

David G Baker
01-15-2009, 8:13 AM
We have warmed up a bit overnight, it is now -5 with an expected high of +4. Schools are having a delayed opening. So far we haven't had the wind in my part of Mid Michigan.

Dick Rowe
01-15-2009, 8:22 AM
Whatever happened to ... GLOBAL WARMING?

Must be skipping my area ;)

Derek Tuchscherer
01-15-2009, 8:36 AM
Woke up to -27F here this morning...they say with the effect of the wind it feels like -53F :eek:...yes I think my face froze like this! Was prepared though and truck started without a problem.

Belinda Barfield
01-15-2009, 8:54 AM
I don't know how you guys stand the cold. We are finally getting cool here, for a day or so. High tomorrow is in the low 40s, low tomorrow night is 21. I finally get to build a fire! Hang in there, Spring is just around the corner!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2009, 9:01 AM
33ºF here at 0600. Supposed to get up to 44ºF today.

David G Baker
01-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Belinda,
Like every other place on the planet, us cold weather folks adjust and live with it. There are some inconveniences. We wonder how you tolerate the heat and humidity.
Most of my family still live in California and feel the same way you do about the cold. I can put on more clothes if it is cold but in the heat and humidity you can only take off so much. I am retired so that makes all the difference in the world, I don't have to work in it. When I lived in the Sacramento area of California I would leave work in the 110 degree heat get in a car that was parked in a blacktop parking lot that was around 130 degrees and get in the car that was around the same temperature as the blacktop parking lot. Didn't have air conditioning at the time in the car or at home. Don't mind the cold at all. :D

Belinda Barfield
01-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Belinda,
Like every other place on the planet, us cold weather folks adjust and live with it. There are some inconveniences. We wonder how you tolerate the heat and humidity.

David,

In part, my aversion to really cold weather comes from two health issues. I have mild asthma and cold is one of my triggers. Below 45 or so and I start having issues with breathing. I also have a circulation problem with my hands and feet. When exposed to cold my vessels clamp down and my fingers and toes go numb. This actually happens when I get things out of the refrigerated case in the grocery store. Heat and humidity - not fun, but bearable. Thank goodness Savannah is a pretty laid back town. Most businesses allow employees to wear shorts to work in the summer. Lots of water in, lots of water out - life in the South.

Lee Schierer
01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
When its cold there are lots of ways to get warm. You can split wood to throw another log on the fire, snuggle up with sweety or get another dog. When it is hot, there is only so much you can take off without being arrested, sweety doesn't want you near her, you only feel like cutting some Z's not logs and the dog is sleeping in the shade and you can't stay in the pool forever.

Belinda Barfield
01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
When its cold there are lots of ways to get warm. You can split wood to throw another log on the fire, snuggle up with sweety or get another dog. When it is hot, there is only so much you can take off without being arrested, sweety doesn't want you near her, you only feel like cutting some Z's not logs and the dog is sleeping in the shade and you can't stay in the pool forever.

LOL . . . I'm not very good a splitting wood, sweety isn't a snuggler, my cat doesn't like dogs.

On the other hand, you can get pretty bare, sweaty sweeties are an acquired taste, naps under the AC - mmmmm good -, and you can stay in the pool for a good long time but you get pruny. :D

Greg Cole
01-15-2009, 1:02 PM
Belinda,
It was a balmy minus 5 here this morning, a nice little 7-10 NW breeze too. I'll be sitting in a tree stand at 2pm til dark as it's the last day of late season archery hunting here in MO.
Can't say as I'll call it enjoyable, but I don't hate it by any means. See what growing up in Northern New England does to ya? ;)

David G Baker
01-15-2009, 1:25 PM
Belinda,
That makes sense to me.
I too have mild asthma and have to be careful when I am out in the real cold. I have to wear a scarf or dust mask over my face and that seems to help a lot. I have a 300 foot drive way and when I walk down to get the mail, if it is cold and I don't cover my face, I have to use the Albuterol when I get back to the house.
I am amazed at how well I have adjusted to the snow and cold since leaving California. When living in Michigan as a kid I hated the cold with a passion, now I am very comfortable with it in most situations.
I will admit that top down weather does sound great once in a while. The LOML is starting to get cabin fever and would like to migrate during the cold season. We have had quite a bit of snow on the ground since before Thanksgiving.

Greg Stanford
01-15-2009, 2:37 PM
It's supposed to get cold here tonight, I'll have to remember to throw a bed sheet over the house plants on the patio so they don't freeze.

g

Paul Ryan
01-15-2009, 5:14 PM
Greg,

You still have a deer season this late? Or late archery if over at the end of december. I only hunt firearms and muzzleloader, so I was done mid december. It isn't so bad walking out to the stand but after about 1/2 hour to 1 hour then I start getting cold. And if the wind is blowing that makes it real rough. It was -28 here this morning and expecting the same tommarow morning. At this point it has warmed up to a balmy -9. My garage actually feels quite decent it is 0 in there. Tommarow at 5 I get out of here for a while. But It will be sun bathing weather here next week they are talking about highs in the upper 20's. I am hoping my buddy will fill up his pool. Stay warm everyone.

David Freed
01-15-2009, 6:11 PM
I'm another one that prefers cold over heat if your talking about extremes. I would much rather work outside all day in below zero temps than 100* temps. It is supposed to be -10 here tonight. I will be out in it at 6am tomorrow.

If you could pick and choose, the ideal temp to work in for me is 70 -75 degrees.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-15-2009, 6:39 PM

Lee has it right! I do feel sorry for the dogs when they venture out. They don't want to stay long and try to hold all four paws up at once. It's 6:30 in the evening with temp of -7 and wind chill of -23. Thought about burgers on the grill:eek:, but others wanted pizza.:)

Karl Brogger
01-15-2009, 6:47 PM
It'll be -25*F tonight, it was -24*F this morning. The high today was -8*F. I hate Minnesota, I hate the cold. Hate is not even remotely an adequate word for my feelings on the subject.

Rick Potter
01-15-2009, 9:37 PM
Well, I decided to go top down today. I got out my old rat rod 55 T-Bird, and took it for a ride topless. Ahhh, the wind blowing in whats left of my hair, admiring looks from other motorists, wearing just a short sleeve T-shirt. The usual people asking what kind of car it is. Ford, sez I.

One bike rider yelled, 'Is that a Sunbeam Alpine?. Ford, sez I. Another asked if it was a Studebaker. Ford, sez I.

Remember when I apologised for possibly being too bragadocious? (Start of this string) Well, it came back to bite me. I stopped to get gas, basking in the glow of other peoples attention. Then...it wouldn't start. The ages old battery decided to go dead. Lots of not so admiring glances as I pushed it away from the pumps. A call to AAA, and I decided to head immediately home, while the old piece of junk was still running. The AAA driver asked what had happened? Ford sez I, trying to reject that transplanted Chebby motor.

Rick Potter

Brian Effinger
01-15-2009, 10:24 PM
It must be karma for rubbing the warm weather in :p :D

Well, I decided to go top down today. I got out my old rat rod 55 T-Bird, and took it for a ride topless. Ahhh, the wind blowing in whats left of my hair, admiring looks from other motorists, wearing just a short sleeve T-shirt. The usual people asking what kind of car it is. Ford, sez I.

One bike rider yelled, 'Is that a Sunbeam Alpine?. Ford, sez I. Another asked if it was a Studebaker. Ford, sez I.

Remember when I apologised for possibly being too bragadocious? (Start of this string) Well, it came back to bite me. I stopped to get gas, basking in the glow of other peoples attention. Then...it wouldn't start. The ages old battery decided to go dead. Lots of not so admiring glances as I pushed it away from the pumps. A call to AAA, and I decided to head immediately home, while the old piece of junk was still running. The AAA driver asked what had happened? Ford sez I, trying to reject that transplanted Chebby motor.

Rick Potter