PDA

View Full Version : Another Maple Bowl

Allen Schmid
01-14-2009, 3:15 PM
Another small maple bowl, same tree and all. This is about 6"x3" and is finished with antique oil. I see some work needs to be done yet where I turned off the tenon but overall I really am happy with this one.
Any and all comments welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Allen

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2009, 3:18 PM
Another good looking bowl! So, do you know what caused the tearout?

Allen Schmid
01-14-2009, 3:24 PM
Well, Steve, I purchased a few new heavy scrapers and had been trying my best to utilize them in certain situations. Some times I will just use a small gouge to finish the bottom but tried the scraper and now (after using it more) realize I should have run it across the wheel to sharpen it up good...at least I think that's what is the cause.
Allen

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2009, 3:28 PM
Scrapers - like any other tool - take a little getting used to in order to make them work right. But, have to agree with you that a trip to the sharpener just before taking any final cuts is always a good idea! No big deal - I still have a few bowls that I started with and they had a lot of tearout - just told my wife that I was working on a texturing technique! ........no, she didn't buy it either!

Bill Bolen
01-14-2009, 4:09 PM
Mighty nice again Allen. Looks like you have this turning stuff going your way!...Bill..

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 6:59 PM
Good looking bowl, I really like the maple, got a bunch of maples bowls drying now and cant wait to final turn them.

Good job!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2009, 8:01 PM
Great looking bowl. Nice form and finish.