PDA

View Full Version : A Little Neander Saw Gloat

Jim Becker
06-24-2004, 7:17 PM
Now, I'm primarily an electron consumer, but decided it was long past due that I aquire a "decent" dovetailing saw. I've cut them by hand a couple of times with inadequate tools and felt I should learn with a proper saw. My new 8" Adria arrived this afternoon from Tools for Working Wood...after only a one day wait being so close to NY. My first impression is very positive. Nice tool. This weekend I'll do some cutting with it to get used to how it works. Time to watch that video again...:o

Bruce Page
06-24-2004, 7:27 PM
Very handsome tool! Let us know how it cuts.

Chris Padilla
06-24-2004, 8:07 PM
"...once down the dark path you go, forever your destiny will it be..."

:p

Jim Becker
06-24-2004, 9:13 PM
"...once down the dark path you go..."
I've heard that said about a certain company based in the San José area...:D

Seriously, I don't think that I'm going to meander to the neander full time, but have no issue with working with the "right tool" for the job, nor have I ever.

Martin Shupe
06-24-2004, 9:26 PM
Jim,

You will really like your Adria saw, I sure like mine.

Now you need to buy some L-N chisels, and some L-N planes, and Shapton waterstones and.... :eek:

Dave Anderson NH
06-25-2004, 6:28 AM
You'll be very happy with the Adria, I've yet to hear of anyone getting a bad one or being displeased with any of Joel/Eddies products. Both are quality vendors of the first order and take great pains to make sure their customers are satisfied. Many Neanders I know place the Adria saws a notch higher in quality and performance than the Lie-Neilsens.

In spite of your protestations, you have embarked upon the slippery slope and we will be watching your progress. It's all downhill from here.:D

Mark Singer
06-25-2004, 8:31 AM
Jim,
Instead of pushing the switch on ......you "push"..."pull" "push"..."pull" "push"..."pull"
thats it!

Robert Tarr
06-25-2004, 8:49 AM
This weekend I'll do some cutting with it to get used to how it works. Time to watch that video again...:o[/QUOTE]

Jim,

I know you are in CT. today (wish I could have been there too.) once, you get back, give me a shout. I just got my new LN DT saw yesterday as well. If you want, we can do some heads up comparisons (I am certain both will work tons better than that old dull rock I was using to "TRY" to dovetail before .

Robert

Alan Turner
06-25-2004, 8:51 AM
Jim,
I can't comment on your Adria since I have never used one, but the reputation is great. More importantly, I hope that you find that hand tools are frequently not only better for some particular tasks, but quicker as well. For through dovetails, or the tails on half blinds, all you need now is a fret saw, with the blade reversed so it cuts on the pull stroke. With this, you can very quickly remove the waste down to about 1/16" or less, while the stock is still in the vise, leaving you only a paring cut to the line. I prefer the fret saw as the blades are thinner, whereas with a coping saw, the blade may not fit the kerf without damage. Cutting on the pull stroke keeps the blade in tension, with little blade breakage. Very fast, and quiet.
This is slope that Mr. Anderson mentioned above.
BTW, Joel in NY is always a pleasure to deal with. I keep looking for an excuse to beef up my rasp collection with his new French toys.
Alan

Don Kugelberg
06-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Fine Woodworking magazine has a review on the Adria saw in their current issue. They agree its a great tool.

Jim Becker
06-25-2004, 8:02 PM
I know you are in CT. today (wish I could have been there too.) once, you get back, give me a shout. I just got my new LN DT saw yesterday as well. If you want, we can do some heads up comparisons (I am certain both will work tons better than that old dull rock I was using to "TRY" to dovetail before .
Indeed...you missed an excellent meeting. And Paul sprung for lunch. What's not to like about that?? :D (I probably could have got an even nicer meal "out", but wanted to try and hop an earlier flight home since it was Friday and "storms were about"...so the customer's caffeteria sufficed nicely)

Yes, I'd like to do a side-by-side sometime of the Adria and the L-N...the latter of which I have fondled "doolingly" at several shows.

Chris Padilla
06-25-2004, 8:07 PM
I've heard that said about a certain company based in the San José area...:D

Juniper? yeah, no doubt!!! ;)

Bob Marino
06-25-2004, 8:52 PM
.Jim,

I know you will like the Adria, I like mine. I did a side by side with the LN's and prefered the Adria's.

Bob

Tyler Howell
06-25-2004, 9:00 PM
Sure is Purty!;)

John Miliunas
06-26-2004, 1:20 AM
Yup, it shore is purty but, where in the heck do you plug it in?! :confused: Or is it one of those cordless jobies? 12v or 14.4v? :confused: :cool:

Jim Becker
06-26-2004, 9:29 AM
Yup, it shore is purty but, where in the heck do you plug it in?! Or is it one of those cordless jobies? 12v or 14.4v?
It's the one arm power version...charging it up takes a bit of time as it involves several meals and chasing Dr. SWMBO around a bit...:D

Mark Singer
06-26-2004, 9:49 AM
Jim,
That explains why mine are not running....its the chasing I need to do...,I think....I am good on the meals for sure!:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
06-26-2004, 9:52 AM
Mark, you had the right idea in your previous post... :D

John Miliunas
06-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Mark, you had the right idea in your previous post... :D

Jim, Mark...You guys are getting BAD! :eek: Ooooops...You guys will need to excuse me here; I just saw Momma run by! :D :cool: