PDA

View Full Version : Holy Mackeral - Military Everywhere

Scott Shepherd
01-14-2009, 2:56 PM
I'm 90 miles south of DC, but I feel like I'm in a war zone this past week. I have never ever seen so many military aircraft flying over and I mean LOW. Only thing we can think of is that it's security for the Inauguration. We're also 90 miles from the water, but we're seeing Navy helicopters like crazy, I saw a couple of A-10's yesterday and I hear the helicopters flying super low all throughout the days. In all cases, they were no higher than 1500 feet at the most. I mean they are low and over well populated areas.

Anyone else seeing this sort of activity. I've never seen Navy Helicopters flying maneuvers over us in all my years, but they are now. Also never seen an A-10 flying over either. Especially so low and over such populated areas.

Is it preparing for Tuesday? Or something else? Anyone know?

travis howe
01-14-2009, 3:08 PM
The USS George H W Bush was commissioned on the 10th at Naval Station Norfolk. Could it be aircraft headed to/from the carrier for a departure?

Scott Shepherd
01-14-2009, 3:16 PM
Not sure, they are actually landing helicopters in the city in open spaces. I can hear nothing but helicopters thumping in the background now for at least the last 45 minutes, and that's just the latest run of them.

Frank Townend
01-14-2009, 3:18 PM
It is quiet here in the District.

Jim Becker
01-14-2009, 3:47 PM
It could be related to the fact that the current President has placed the capitol in a "state of emergency (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28650363/)" so that it is easier to draw on a variety of security support services from near and far relative to the inauguration. This event is predicted to have an unprecedented number of people in and around DC and there is a of of sensitivity relative to public safety, etc. They are not going to depend upon just local forces...

Scott, in the past, I've often seen A-10 over flights at pretty low level around here as they use to train on them out of Willow Grove Navel Air Station as well as hosted the PA squadron. That facility is going away, however, and I have not seen one in a long time now since the planes were sent elsewhere. They sure are not the "prettiest" aircraft, but I suppose they get their intended job done pretty well...

Tony De Masi
01-14-2009, 3:53 PM
Based on my previous history it has nothing to do with the coming events in D.C. nor to do with the current POTUS declaring a state of emergency for D.C. The emergency declaration was only to free up monies for the state and local athorities for the huge overtime expenditures that they will incur.

Other than that you should try living 10 miles north of Quantico. They have been banging away down there for over 7 1/2 years now pretty consistently. Lots of window rattling and house shaking going on.

Tony

Brent Smith
01-14-2009, 4:01 PM
I'm 90 miles south of DC, but I feel like I'm in a war zone this past week. I have never ever seen so many military aircraft flying over and I mean LOW. Only thing we can think of is that it's security for the Inauguration. We're also 90 miles from the water, but we're seeing Navy helicopters like crazy, I saw a couple of A-10's yesterday and I hear the helicopters flying super low all throughout the days. In all cases, they were no higher than 1500 feet at the most. I mean they are low and over well populated areas.

Anyone else seeing this sort of activity. I've never seen Navy Helicopters flying maneuvers over us in all my years, but they are now. Also never seen an A-10 flying over either. Especially so low and over such populated areas.

Is it preparing for Tuesday? Or something else? Anyone know?

Drats!!!!!!! :mad: This must mean that you guys found out about the planned Canadian invasion and occupation of all East Coast woodworking stores.......back to the drawing board :(.

Belinda Barfield
01-14-2009, 4:52 PM
Steve,

I live a few miles away from Hunter Army Airfield. We have had really heavy helicopter "traffic" in the area since Sunday. The thumping last night seemed almost constant. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what's going on in your area, but I suppose it could have.

Kevin Arceneaux
01-14-2009, 4:58 PM
We have heavy heli's all the time. We are next to ERA's heliport and PHI's is across the road. :)

Eric DeSilva
01-14-2009, 5:10 PM
Given that, on I-Day, they are advising people not to use the capital beltway and 66/395/GW pkwy are all closed inside the beltway, maybe the surplus of helis is so important people can actually travel. Unlike us common folk. ;)

Stephen Tashiro
01-14-2009, 5:36 PM
Every loyal listener to AM talk radio knows that the military is being prepared to quell the coming civil unrest in the US which will be caused by the financial collapse engineered by the "illuminati" who control the big banks and the "globalists" who are planning a world government. And then there are those guys who claim they can communicate with elves and the fellow from the Philidelphia experiment who was transported 40 years ahead in time. It's all on "Coast To Coast". (coasttocoastam.com)

Dennis Peacock
01-14-2009, 5:41 PM
The Air Force flies a lot around my house. We live within the military fly zone for the local AFB, so we see very low flying C-130, C-131, and C-140's close enough to make our entire house rattle and you can see the pilot or co-pilot in the aircraft window. Pretty cool sometimes when we wave at them and they wave back. :)

Good thing I love aircraft. :D

Butch Edwards
01-14-2009, 6:25 PM
I'm 75 miles from DC..and up here all that's flying is the C-5s....big buggers... nothing out of the ordinary I see... watched 2 take off today heading north..:cool:

Frank Townend
01-14-2009, 6:30 PM
We have had really heavy helicopter "traffic" in the area since Sunday. The thumping last night seemed almost constant. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what's going on in your area, but I suppose it could have.

Most likely out to round you up for dropping your husband's harmonica.

Bryan Rocker
01-14-2009, 7:14 PM
Scott, in the past, I've often seen A-10 over flights at pretty low level around here as they use to train on them out of Willow Grove Navel Air Station as well as hosted the PA squadron. That facility is going away, however, and I have not seen one in a long time now since the planes were sent elsewhere. They sure are not the "prettiest" aircraft, but I suppose they get their intended job done pretty well...

As a former A-10 flight line engine troop in Germany I can atest to their Ugliness but we had a saying that still fits today. The A-10 is Ugly but its well hung....It was meant as a poke at F-15/16 fighter folks who could only carry a few armaments and couldn't hang around like that A-10. To date there is NOTHING in the US arsenal that can replace an A-10.........

Bryan
Former "HAWG ENGINE TROOP"

Scott Conners
01-14-2009, 8:26 PM
I am the sound engineer for the Las Vegas Philharmonic, and the previous few years we've had flyovers during the outdoor 4th of July show from Nellis AFB. 3 or 4 years ago it was a pair of A-10s doing the flyover, and we had the pilots on radio over the PA and all. I was stunned at how QUIET those planes are! They did a ~300ft flyover (I assume at low speed and throttle), and if we hadn't been watching for them we wouldn't have heard them coming. Knowing the guns they carry, that was a scary thought!

Scott Shepherd
01-14-2009, 9:36 PM
I LOVE the A-10's! What a MEAN MEAN machine!

I've been asking around and apparently it's the Marines. They are apparently doing Urban Combat Training. Probably not a good time to take a potato cannon on a rooftop :D

Ted Shrader
01-14-2009, 9:57 PM
It is merely a military exercise involving a good portion of central VA. Notices were put out to residents of the area. Perhaps they missed few. Will be finished by the weekend. Sorry for the mundane answer but keep those conspiracy theories coming.

Ted

Paul Atkins
01-15-2009, 1:27 AM
All we have around here are u-2s - touch and go. Modern tech.

Lee Schierer
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
It could be related to the fact that the current President has placed the capitol in a "state of emergency (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28650363/)" so that it is easier to draw on a variety of security support services from near and far relative to the inauguration. This event is predicted to have an unprecedented number of people in and around DC and there is a of of sensitivity relative to public safety, etc. They are not going to depend upon just local forces...

Jim, fear is being an enemy tanker and seeing an A-10 fly overhead and swing into a hard left banking turn and start coming back at you. That little puff of smoke from under the wingtip will be the last thing you see....

M Toupin
01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Other than that you should try living 10 miles north of Quantico.

Nothing to do with Quantico, you're right next door to Ft. A.P. Hill which is a major military training post complete with artillery and aircraft ranges. Used to sit and watch A10 strafing practice for hours. It never gets old :D Sure hate to be on the receiving end:eek:

Ya'll think it's bad up there, try down here in Hampton. My office is about a mile from the end of the runway and directly in line with the flight path for Langley AFB. We though the 15 & 16's were loud, the F22 raptors has them beat by a good bit!

Mike

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Drats!!!!!!! :mad: This must mean that you guys found out about the planned Canadian invasion and occupation of all East Coast woodworking stores.......back to the drawing board :(.

OH OH, we've been found out?

Is that bus ticket I purchased refundable?

regards, Rod.

Rob Damon
01-15-2009, 12:44 PM
ONE: Living a few miles from LAFB and having F-22/F-15 flying overhead all day long.

TWO: Living next to the Regional airport that has routine commercial traffic.

THREE: Regional airport also is used by the south side navy bases aircraft for touch and go's.

FOUR: Private aggressor planes (Mirage/MIGS) fly out that play tag with the F-22/F-15.

FIVE: The same airport that both Air Force One's flies training missions to and from (Can you say "747 on landing approach pattern at 1000' directly over your house" is really loud.).

SIX: Helo's coming out of local army air field routinely.

I can't say I would really notice any unusaul activity in the sky, even if it doubled or tripled. There is always something up there.

The only time I noticed any difference was just before we strike somebody overseas.

Rob

Pat Germain
01-15-2009, 4:16 PM
The USS George H W Bush was commissioned on the 10th at Naval Station Norfolk. Could it be aircraft headed to/from the carrier for a departure?

Interesting idea, but that wouldn't be the case. The ship is commissioned, but not yet operational. And A-10s don't fly onto carriers.

Eventually, Navy planes to will start to land on the flight deck. The crew will be evaluated, then the flight deck will be certified. After that, lot's of planes will land and take off as part of "Carrier Qualifications" (CQ). Then you'd see aircraft flying to the ship only if you were near Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach.

Dollars to doughnuts, the aircraft activity in and around DC is in fact related to inauguration preparations.

Sean Troy
01-15-2009, 7:49 PM
As a former A-10 flight line engine troop in Germany I can atest to their Ugliness but we had a saying that still fits today. The A-10 is Ugly but its well hung....It was meant as a poke at F-15/16 fighter folks who could only carry a few armaments and couldn't hang around like that A-10. To date there is NOTHING in the US arsenal that can replace an A-10.........

Bryan
Former "HAWG ENGINE TROOP"
I saw a video on the Warthog and it has unbelevable firepower. you could just about take out a small city with one of those.

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 7:56 PM
Interesting idea, but that wouldn't be the case. The ship is commissioned, but not yet operational. And A-10s don't fly onto carriers.

Eventually, Navy planes to will start to land on the flight deck. The crew will be evaluated, then the flight deck will be certified. After that, lot's of planes will land and take off as part of "Carrier Qualifications" (CQ). Then you'd see aircraft flying to the ship only if you were near Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach.

Dollars to doughnuts, the aircraft activity in and around DC is in fact related to inauguration preparations.

Pat (and others) got it! For sure that is what the activity was all about. It will be over come 20 Jan~

Pete Simmons
01-15-2009, 8:11 PM
There is a letter going around about noise from an AF Base.

Not sure if true. Did not post copy of whole letter do to forum rules but here is the jest of it.

I anyone knows true or false please delete it or verify it.

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.

When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must Have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:
'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the

Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?

Any response would be appreciated.

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four- ship fly by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. J. F. Capt F was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. F as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured..

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning air show? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt F, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 8:41 PM
Pete,
Can't comment on the validity of the story above but Norfolk/ Virginia Beach has a master jet base called Oceana. Some folks in the area to not like the jet noise and having lived there I can tell you there were times when I couldn't hear my TV set for 10 or 20 seconds.

Some don’t like it but others realize that our pilots are “some of the” if not “the” best in the word because they practice all the time. The mechanics work all the time. The base never rests. The cliché that “freedom isn't free” is true. As a positive response, it is not uncommon to see the bumper sticker on cars in the Hampton Roads area: "I LOVE JET NOISE"<---- Those are the supporters.

I learned that when trying to please a crowd, to shoot for 70 percent. That is a success. The other 3 out of 10 will always find something to complain about.

I am not relating this to the OP just as a response to the post above.

Sonny Edmonds
01-15-2009, 11:00 PM
It will be over come 20 Jan~

Amen to that, Dewey! :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :(

Clifford Mescher
01-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Amen to that, Dewey! :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :(
That's what I'm afraid of. Clifford.

Dan Mages
01-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Every loyal listener to AM talk radio knows that the military is being prepared to quell the coming civil unrest in the US which will be caused by the financial collapse engineered by the "illuminati" who control the big banks and the "globalists" who are planning a world government. And then there are those guys who claim they can communicate with elves and the fellow from the Philidelphia experiment who was transported 40 years ahead in time. It's all on "Coast To Coast". (coasttocoastam.com)

You forgot the Elders of Zion. Maldof, being a member, is only an example of what they have been working on in the markets. :rolleyes:

It will be over come 20 Jan~

Lets not get into a political discussion on what Obama will do to the country. Can we stay on topic, please? :rolleyes:

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Dan,

Dewey isn't making a political statement. He's simply indicating that the increased military air traffic is as a result of the upcoming inauguration and once it has happened, the military air traffic in the area will return to normal.

Scott Shepherd
01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
It's all over already, no need to wait. As previously stated, and perhaps missed judging by some of the after posts, it was Urban Combat training from the Marines and it's over and they are gone (or either training in stealth mode ;) ).

Dan Mages
01-17-2009, 5:25 PM
Dan,

Dewey isn't making a political statement. He's simply indicating that the increased military air traffic is as a result of the upcoming inauguration and once it has happened, the military air traffic in the area will return to normal.

Sorry if my sarcasm is does not come through clearly...