PDA

View Full Version : Sunhill planer and jointer

Jeff Grant
01-14-2009, 2:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm happy to be making my first post here. I've been a long time lurker.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Sunhill Machinery. I've found a couple of references on this site, but not much else. Specifically, I'm looking at the 8" SM-204 jointer, and the 15" CT-382A planer. They're both in the sale flyer this month for $595 (reg $795) and $695 (reg $850) respectively.

In December, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Grizzly G0490 jointer and G0453 planer. However, I delayed as we were going to be away for three weeks over the holiday. To my (unfortunate) surprise, Grizz has hiked prices by up to 20% this year. I can't bring myself to pay these new prices when I could have bought them just two weeks ago for so much less. :(

So my search continues, and I've discovered Sunhill. I've seen them mentioned once or twice in FWW, but have never seen a machine in person. There is a surprisingly small amount of info on the net about them too. If anyone has experience with the two models mentioned above, I would very grateful to hear your opinions.

Thank you very much!
Jeff

Douglas Brummett
01-14-2009, 5:19 PM
Here is one for starters...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10764&highlight=sunhill

Basically my take on sunhill is that they are an importer/distributor like Grizzly only on a smaller scale. I have had positive experiences with them on the items I have purchased. Customer service was spot on and the machines were on par with any of the other imports I have seen. Main difference was the price.

That jointer has gotten pretty good feedback. I am actually wishing I had gone that route instead of the 6in I purchased.

Paul Demetropoulos
01-14-2009, 5:48 PM
I have and older model Sunhill 8" jointer, the CT204L. I say I've been satisfied with its performance. I got it maybe 10 years ago, it's got a nice long bed and 4 cutter heads.

As to the 4 cutter heads, I'm not so sure of the value of the extra blade, it's another blade to sharpen and set, without any advantage in cut quality as far as I can see.

Jay Goddard
01-16-2009, 2:08 PM
I have had the Sunhill 8" jointer for about 5 years. It is the CT204-L model that came with handwheels and bed extensions. While the jointer functions fine, there is a noticeable difference between the fit and finish of it and my Grizzly equipment. In particular, the Grizzly paint is powder coated and is much more durable.

Advantages over the Sunhill: The current 8" G0856 jointer has a 10" longer table, handwheels rather than levers, and a switch tower (my bad back would appreciate this). The Grizzly web site shows this as being on sale right now for $595, the same price as the Sunhill.

If I had it to do over again I would get the Grizzly and dig deep to get a spiral cutterhead.