PDA

View Full Version : Which jointer? DJ-15 or 37-220

Dennis Ripoli
01-14-2009, 2:00 PM
Hi all, I'm in need of a jointer and have a chance to pickup either a Rockwell 37-220 for $400 or a Delta DJ-15 for $450-$500. Both are in good condition but I dont know which one to choose. Any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? This is my first jointer so if you could share any opinions on either machine it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rod Sheridan
01-14-2009, 2:42 PM
Hi Dennis, I have to admit to a certain fondness for the old Rockwell equipment, my wife has a lathe from them.

That said, the company doesn't exist any longer so forget about support for parts, and I personally think that the price is a bit high. (It may be normal for your area however).

If I remember correctly the cutterhead doesn't have jackscrews, which makes knife adjustment slightly more difficult than on those with "jackscrews".

I'd go with the Delta probably just as a default.

Regards, Rod.

I'd go with

Larry Edgerton
01-14-2009, 7:17 PM
The DJ15 has the parallel one lever adjustment, a major advantage in my shop. I like old tools too, but my Porter is just sitting and my DJ20 gets all the work.

Check out Esta knives......

Kent E. Matthew
01-14-2009, 7:45 PM
I just bought a DJ-15. I love it. Fabulous tool.

Simon Dupay
01-14-2009, 9:49 PM
Hi Dennis, I have to admit to a certain fondness for the old Rockwell equipment, my wife has a lathe from them.

That said, the company doesn't exist any longer so forget about support for parts, and I personally think that the price is a bit high. (It may be normal for your area however).

If I remember correctly the cutterhead doesn't have jackscrews, which makes knife adjustment slightly more difficult than on those with "jackscrews".

I'd go with the Delta probably just as a default.

Regards, Rod.

I'd go with
Rockwell did own delta so parts should still be available
the Rockwell is American made and probably a better jointer.

Joshua O Lilburn
01-15-2009, 5:08 PM
I have a delta/rockwell 37-220. Mine is a 1964 model. As Rod said it does not have Jackscrews but it is not difficult to set up without them. Takes me about 15-30 minutes to change knives. I am very happy with the performance and quality of the older Iron.

Curt Harms
01-15-2009, 7:23 PM
Rockwell did own delta so parts should still be available
the Rockwell is American made and probably a better jointer.

I think that when Delta & Porter Cable were sold, B&D discontinued support for older machines. I remember reading on a Rockler Email thing they send out that a guy-I think his name was John Weber-bought on the order of 10 semi loads of Delta parts that the B&D version of Delta no longer wanted to stock. I get the impression that you used to be able to get parts for a 30 year old out of production Delta machine--no longer--at least not from Delta. Does anyone have any information on this one way or the other? I presume Unisaw parts are still available because it's a current production machine. I'd be curious about the DJ15.

Curt