PDA

View Full Version : Does this look about right?

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 1:53 PM
So what do you think, look good? :D
Only problem now is someone's gotta clean this stuff up:eek::eek:
I want to be the next David Lancaster and make bowls for a living, so I ask myself?? WWDD
What Would Dave Do??;)

Pete Jordan
01-14-2009, 1:58 PM
Doesn't look right to me:)

You got all those shavings from 3 bowls! How big was the log when you started?

Nice Job!

Which coring system did you use?

Greg Ketell
01-14-2009, 1:59 PM
Oi, when I start turning bigger stuff I'm going to have to invest in a pair of waders. Yikes!!

GK

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 2:03 PM
Doesn't look right to me:)

You got all those shavings from 3 bowls! How big was the log when you started?

Nice Job!

Which coring system did you use?

LOL No man thats from roughing out and coring 4 large blanks!!Sorry I should have let you guys know that huh?:D:D

Im using the Woodcut Bowl Saver.

Bill O'Conner
01-14-2009, 2:08 PM
you turn a few more blanks and you won't be able to get the shop-vac out

Bill

Frank Townend
01-14-2009, 2:09 PM
Press it all together with some glue and sell it to those pen turners.

David Christopher
01-14-2009, 2:31 PM
Jim, according to the shavings it looks like your chiesel was sharp

Al Wasser
01-14-2009, 2:33 PM
Go to wally world or similar and get yourself one or more of those large plastic storage containers -- about 16" wide, 16"deep and 2' long. Place it under your lathe. It is out of your way and it will catch about 1/2 of those chips and thus reduce some of the cleanup up job.

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2009, 3:11 PM
Clean up? Thought you had people that did that for you! I believe you call them called Groupies!

Looks like you had a lot of fun! You done for the day or is it lunch break?

Brian Effinger
01-14-2009, 3:16 PM
Press it all together with some glue and sell it to those pen turners.
What do you mean "those pen turners." :D

And wow Jim. Thats a lot of shavings. I wish I had that many under my lathe - it would mean I accomplished something.

Bill Bolen
01-14-2009, 4:13 PM
Jim, now you know what the snow shovel was really invented for! Your nested set looks like it is going quite well. Very "artsie" photo on the lathe too...Bill...

Leo Van Der Loo
01-14-2009, 4:32 PM
Looks like you have fun making shavings, as all these shavings didn't come out of that little bowl you rouged out or from the corings.
You're supposed to make something from the log beside shavings :p :p :D

HHHMMmnnn almost looks like a drive-by gload to me :p :eek: :D

Dustin Cranford
01-14-2009, 4:33 PM
Hope you need some mulch. The trash guys here won't even pick up leaves. I would like to see their face when that comes along.

Dewey Torres
01-14-2009, 4:42 PM
Looks about right to me! Hey, does this mean you fixed your weighting / vibration problem?

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 6:03 PM
Clean up? Thought you had people that did that for you! I believe you call them called Groupies!

Looks like you had a lot of fun! You done for the day or is it lunch break?

You know Steve the problem is they are never around when you need them and always when you dont!!:D:D

Got two more blanks to rough and core out before I call it a day. I have 20 bowls drying now, too fun!!

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 6:05 PM
Looks like you have fun making shavings, as all these shavings didn't come out of that little bowl you rouged out or from the corings.
You're supposed to make something from the log beside shavings :p :p :D

HHHMMmnnn almost looks like a drive-by gload to me :p :eek: :D
That about 4 rough outs worth there Leo, I knew this was going to make ome shavings but whoo boy does it ever make some shavings!! Luckily I have a good place over the hill from me that the guy lets me dump them there. Otherwise my whole yard would be covered with this stuff!!

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 6:08 PM
Looks about right to me! Hey, does this mean you fixed your weighting / vibration problem?

Sure did Dewey, I posted a follow up in that same thread explaining what the trouble was. You squids, too much salt water in the ears!!:D:D

Don Carter
01-14-2009, 6:33 PM
Yeah, Jim that looks like fun to me! I have never had so much mulch as I do now and I only have 10 bowls drying. It is fun ain't it?
All the best.

Don

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2009, 8:06 PM
Looks good to me Jim. I need to take some time and get back to coring. It is a lot of fun. Yep where are the groupies when ya need'em.

Jeff Nicol
01-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Jim, I had a desire to use all my shavings to heat the garage a little. So one day I turned a piece of box elder so it would fit inside a chunk of 24" length of 4" PVC pipe with about 3/16" gap all around. Then I take two layers of newspaper and roll it around the box elder form and put a few wraps of masking tape to keep it together. I fold up on end andtape it then slide it in the PVC. Then I put in the shavings and tamp them in until the paper tube is about 2" from the top, then I smash the paper over and tamp it in good. THen push it out the end and I have a new log for the fire! They burn well and are great for starting the fire. So I am using all the stuff I produce one way or another! I will need it as the wind chill in the morning is supposed to be around -40 !!

By the way great job on the coring! You only need to do about 150 more to catch up to my pile of waiting rough outs! No sleep for you!!

Have fun!!
Jeff

Reed Gray
01-15-2009, 1:43 PM
You know it is time to clean up the shop when you have to get down on your knees to turn. From the late Roger Michaelson.
robo hippy

Leo Van Der Loo
01-15-2009, 5:13 PM
You know it is time to clean up the shop when you have to get down on your knees to turn. From the late Roger Michaelson.
robo hippy
You mean something like this ??? :o :D :eek:, happens once in a while over here also :)