PDA

View Full Version : Can you read this?

James Jaragosky
01-14-2009, 1:05 PM
Only great minds can read this
This is weird, but interesting!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Darren Salyer
01-14-2009, 1:42 PM
I could read it all as fast as if it was spelled correctly. Obviously the inference that great minds can read it is a fallacy.....lol

Chris Padilla
01-14-2009, 1:45 PM
Spelling is STILL important!

Thomas Knighton
01-14-2009, 2:09 PM
What's really sad is that I could read this just as fast as if it were written correctly, but I have STILL read things that were impossible to decipher. All this does is make it look even worse for them :D

David G Baker
01-14-2009, 2:10 PM
Read it with our any problem.
Prior to getting glasses the first time, I was shocked at how much I could read with out really being able to focus on a high percentage of the written words in novels.
I agree with Chris that spelling is important if for no other reason than the other 45% of the population need to understand what they read. :D
I am a fair speller that has more typing errors than misspelled words. I need a better understanding of sentence structure and grammar.

Myk Rian
01-14-2009, 2:41 PM
I have the same research from many years ago. Always found it fun.
Here's the version I've had.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Brian Effinger
01-14-2009, 3:10 PM
I guess great minds do think alike, because I had no problem. :p :D

What I found interesting is only 55% of people can read this. :eek:

Oh, and this post was spelled correctly, because years of beatings...I mean training has made it impossible for me to post anything mispelled. ;)

And I know "mispelled" was misspelled, I was just testing you!

Dennis Thornton
01-14-2009, 4:01 PM
They are mispelled? :p

Ed Frie
01-14-2009, 4:35 PM
I have a friend who teaches second grade. When she was in grade school as a child her district was experimenting by teaching reading and spelling using the "whole word" concepts as discussed above.

She is angry about that to this day because she is a very bad speller and has trouble with un-familiar words. She was never taught phonics and how to sound out a word.

The ability to read the mixed up stuff may be dependent on having an initial education based on phonics, not "whole word" concepts.

Joseph Barnes
01-14-2009, 4:42 PM
You can read it because you already know what it says. Your brain is trained from years of grammer and structure to eliminate 90% of possible words that can correctly come next in a sentance. Once you make out "according to" you brain has it down to only a few phrases that can come next and has already "read" 'research at such and such university'. It only needs a trigger (first letter) to confirm it. Mess up the grammer or structure and your brain has to open up and go through more possibilities to find the right word. I remember about 2 weeks worth of lecture on this during a statistics class in college. The math majors did a similar study but longer. They also had to "prove" how 1+1=2. Figure that one out.:D
Joe

Brian Effinger
01-14-2009, 4:43 PM
They also had to "prove" how 1+1=2. Figure that one out.:D
Joe

I thought it was 1+1 didn't equal 2? It's been a while since I didn't pay attention in calculus. :)

Dennis Thornton
01-14-2009, 4:45 PM
I wasn't taught phonics and can read it easily. I have been a voracious reader all my life though. I've always thought that reading was the solution to poor spelling (as well as grammar). After reading a word hundreds or thousands of times I learned that what didn't look right was probably mispelled.

Belinda Barfield
01-14-2009, 4:49 PM
What I found interesting is only 55% of people can read this. :eek:

What is sad is that you have to take into consideration the percentage of people who couldn't read it if the words were spelled correctly.

Chris Padilla
01-14-2009, 6:02 PM
I wasn't taught phonics and can read it easily. I have been a voracious reader all my life though. I've always thought that reading was the solution to poor spelling (as well as grammar). After reading a word hundreds or thousands of times I learned that what didn't look right was probably mispelled.

You mean, "misspelled", Dennis? With that one word spelled incorrectly, I didn't understand a thing you just said.

;)

Here's the deal, spelling is very important for someone LEARNING the language so that their brain progresses to the point where a whole word, spelled correctly, isn't totally necessary for full comprehension.

Give that paragraph to my 7 year old daughter who is doing fine with her reading and she wouldn't make heads or tails of it.

If I was trying to learn Spanish and you sent me text in severely misspelled Spanish, I would be lost most likely.

Dennis Thornton
01-14-2009, 6:30 PM
I knew something looked wreng. ;)

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Spelling is STILL important!

Well Chris ... you may want to take a gander at this:

1) I dunno...I just like that blade stopped when I'm done...seems safer to me.
ok well everyone does this

2) As far as bending the piece, you might want to build a form, soak the wood a couple of days in water, then put it in the form and ignore it for a week. Take it out and then let it reacclimate for another week and see how it changes. It is bound to spring back a bit but might be close enough for you.
missed a hyphen ... ah who cares!

3) You might also consider glueing on several layers of thinner veneers...kind of a bloodwood sandwich. Got any pics to make things clearer for us?
gluing .... sorry you strait up "misspelled" that one:(

4) Agree with Kevin: it looks like you are cutting against the grain instead of with the grain. That is likely most of the problem. All the other advice will only improve things. Learn to read the wood and think about how the cutter is cutting into it and you'll start to develope intuition about how to best go about a particular cut.
d.e.v.e.l.o.p. ... develop... Nice job Chris! You won the spelling bee:) The teacher says, "I am sure glad you got that one or you wouldn't have won. Most folks spell it the same way an envelope!!!! Not you!" Not really:o

5) Now dat der is funny I don't care who ya are This one slides because it is obviosly your attempt to quote the Cable Guy:)

6) I think the nice Al plates at Woodpeckers are 3/8" thick. Definately stout stuff....
oops... can't let that one slide:(:o
__________________________________________________ __________________

Ok folks... enough. This is over the computer and it is easy to get a misinterpretation here so please know that I am poking at Chris because…well he set himself up for it. In the Navy we call it “bleeding in the shark tank.”

To his credit, it was not easy finding misspellings from him. He is really consistent. Having said that he got his point across in every thread posted above and not one person called him out for SP.

I had my first post deleted (in over 1600 posts BTW) for saying something similar so I was careful to keep this one fun and I do not mean to offend anyone so please don’t start an English war and make this my second deleted post.

We all make mistakes. It would have been much easier for me to find my own misspellings than it was for me to find Chris’. (great job Chris;))

The point of this whole post is “who cares” as long as you are able to understand it. I read it and understood it just fine.

I say…type it out and let us read it! My love for a post on SMC has nothing do to with spelling…everything to do with content. When I pick up the next issue of Fine Woodworking I don’t expect to find misspellings there because it is a professional publication. Even if I found one I wouldn’t be upset…rather I would cheer for myself to have found a mistake by them. Can we just get real here?

Brian Effinger
01-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Now dat der above post is funny I don't care who ya are! :p :D

Belinda Barfield
01-15-2009, 9:09 AM
5) Now dat der is funny I don't care who ya are This one slides because it is obvoisly your attampt to quote the Cable Guy:)

O.b.v.i.o.u.s.l.y.
A.t.t.e.m.p.t.

Really Dewey? Sorry, the blood was really just a trickle. ;):D

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 10:49 AM
O.b.v.i.o.u.s.l.y.
A.t.t.e.m.p.t.

Really Dewey? Sorry, the blood was really just a trickle. ;):D

Told you it would be easier to find my bad SP!

I fixed it now so all can read/ understand it.

Joseph Barnes
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Proving 1+1=2 was part of Calc Theory. Ironically the first piece of math you ever learn and the last thing they teach you before a BS in mathematics from an engineering university are the same.

I thought it was 1+1 didn't equal 2? It's been a while since I didn't pay attention in calculus. :)

Brian Effinger
01-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Told you it would be easier to find my bad SP!

I fixed it now so all can read/ understand it.
Hey, why'd you do that. That is what made it funny! Party pooper! :D

Proving 1+1=2 was part of Calc Theory. Ironically the first piece of math you ever learn and the last thing they teach you before a BS in mathematics from an engineering university are the same.
Wow, full circle, huh. So what you are saying is that as a kid I wasted my time in math class, because all I really needed to know was what I learned in the first 5 minutes of 1st grade? Everything else was just leading me back to 1+1. :)
BTW, that is a great site you have, and even better wood turning. I just saw a link someone posted to it over in the turner's forum.