PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Stamp Questions

James Jaragosky
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I have a nice local women that would like me to create some rubber stamps with a few Bible verses.

Can someone suggest a suppler for the rubber?
What type of glue would be best for attaching the rubber to the wood?
Anything in particular I need to know regarding this process?

Thanks in advance for any and all help
Jim J.

Scott Shepherd
01-14-2009, 1:00 PM
James, you can get the "laser friendly" rubber for stamps from Laserbits. Not too cheap, but it's supposed to be more laser friendly and have less odor. I've only cut it about 3 times and the 3rd time finally convinced me not to ever cut it again. The smell lingers for days and everything it touches seems to keep that smell. I actually had complaints from people next door the day AFTER I burned that last time.

The stuff engraves nice. Just make sure you go deep enough.

Andy Wingfield
01-14-2009, 1:34 PM
Trodat sells really nice rubber to utilize with a C02 laser

John Noell
01-14-2009, 2:14 PM
We use a big exhaust fan and have no one nearby so we have had no problems with the smell from rubber from Jackson Marking Products. (Just keep the fan running even after you finish cutting.) We usually use a silicone sealer type glue to afffix the rubber to the mount. I just made the smallest stamp yet, a signature 4mm x 10mm. (That's how much room there is for the signatures on some government forms requiring multiple signatures by each employees tax status.)

Darryl Hazen
01-14-2009, 2:57 PM
James,

The link below contains info for low odor & no odor material. We've used both. Contact these people and request samples.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=956980&highlight=Rubber+stamp#post956980

James Jaragosky
01-14-2009, 8:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the information and contact information.
I will order some in the morning and do some testing .
Jim J.

Bill Cunningham
01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
James; Most rubber stamp mounting supplies consist of the handles (4 common sizes 1-4) and the wood bases which come in 18" lengths as standard, and usually up to 4" wide.. They have a rubber mounting pad (called a cushion mount) with a peal and stick strip on the cushion (glue is not required). The wood strips are cut to the length required, and a hole drilled in the center for the handle. I glue my handles in with weld-bond glue, and if you have to glue a 'die' (thats the rubber part you engrave), use ordinary rubber contact cement. Just put it on both pieces, and let it sit until it dry to the touch with the 'back' of your finger (not tacky, but dry). Once both sides are dry, press them together and they'll be stuck fo life.. Art type mounts (like you see at Michaels etc..) are usually maple, and do not come with cushions, you have to buy that extra, but not really needed for most art type stamps.. You can get most of your stamp supplies in the U.S. at Ideal, or Millinium Marking..