Jim Koepke
01-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Just saw this on line:

http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/item/4859/woodworking-as-brain-food

I need all the brain cells I can get.

jim

steve swantee
01-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Headed for the shop Jim? I'm right behind you.

Steve

Bill Houghton
01-14-2009, 1:25 PM
to distinguish it from "head only" work, like my 30-year career in human resources. Even moderately skilled labor requires the use of the brain as well as the hands, and skilled work like woodworking requires considerable brain use.

Jerome Hanby
01-14-2009, 1:32 PM
I think I get most of my woodworking brain "exercise" from banging my brain container on the workbench after I've cut something wrong for the third time...

Jim Koepke
01-15-2009, 1:18 AM
to distinguish it from "head only" work, like my 30-year career in human resources. Even moderately skilled labor requires the use of the brain as well as the hands, and skilled work like woodworking requires considerable brain use.

My thoughts on this drift off to Saint Francis of Assis who said,"The man who works with his hands is a laborer. The man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman. The man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist.

jim

Dewey Torres
01-15-2009, 1:22 AM
Interesting post for sure. Any thoughts on fending against Alzheimer disease? One if my big fears as I grow older.

Jim Koepke
01-15-2009, 1:40 AM
Interesting post for sure. Any thoughts on fending against Alzheimer disease? One if my big fears as I grow older.

I think that is what the article is getting at. Using the brain to do mental activity is one of the things to help prevent the onset or at least stall the onset of Alzheimer's.

jim