PDA

View Full Version : Moisture Meter, Purchase

Steve Southwood
01-14-2009, 10:56 AM
What would be a good meter to buy? I would like to have one, but don't know which to buy.

Benjamin Dahl
01-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Steve, I have a lignomat dx/c and like it. the company has several models to choose from.
http://lignomat-moisture-meter.com/
I am sure others will speak up. I know some people prefer the pinless models.
Ben
ps. they often have sales. when I bought mine, I did it over the phone and I think they gave an additional discount. can't hurt to ask if they listed price is the best they can do

Rod Sheridan
01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672909&bmUID=1231949087350&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443296844&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true#BVQAWidgetID

Hi Steve, I have the meter in the link above, (Which is probably available from US suppliers under a different name).

I also have the Lee Valley meter that has a potentiometer on the end, both meters read about the same when I've compared them.

Regards, Rod.

Don Morris
01-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I have a Wagner NMC210. I'm happy with it. One of the pinless types. Don't use it a whole lot, for instance, I would use it on wood that I'm purchasing at the lumber yard, and going to use it right away and need to know for sure it won't be moving much on me. Or in otherwords...it's a critical piece. When is that...you tell me. If you do a "search" here you will find one of the responders said it very well: "If you read threads on Woodweb there is a lot of information about moisture meters. This is from people (sawyers and kiln operators) who have to know the moisture content accurately. The general consensus is that going with anything less than about a $250 instrument is a crapshoot." Mine wasn't cheap but "peace of mind" is worth a lot on critical pieces of newly bought wood. If you can't let it sit in your temp/humidity controlled space for a couple years before using it, then it might be worth the $$$. It wasn't my first big purchase, but eventually did make it onto the "list". I'm sure any of the better models of the top brands would do a good job.

Steve Southwood
01-14-2009, 8:07 PM
Thanks, that gives me a couple good options

Larry Edgerton
01-14-2009, 8:14 PM
I had a LignoMat and it cost me several thousand dollars when it misread some flooring, and I had to redo the job at no cost. I smashed it to bits!

I have used a Delmhorst J2000 since, have it checked every couple of years and it is always spot on. For the little extra I would feel better with the Delmhorst.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-15-2009, 12:04 AM
If you will go to the Woodweb site and do a search using the terms "moisture meter" there is a wealth of information there. The general opinion seems to be to get one for about $250 or better or don't get one.

David Keller NC
01-15-2009, 9:26 AM
Steve - WoodWorking Magazine did a run-through of quite a few moisture meters a couple of issues back. Might be worth buying the back issue, since a new meter's gonna cost several hundred.

Dave Avery
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
I had a LignoMat and it cost me several thousand dollars when it misread some flooring, and I had to redo the job at no cost. I smashed it to bits!

I have used a Delmhorst J2000 since, have it checked every couple of years and it is always spot on. For the little extra I would feel better with the Delmhorst.

What Larry said........ I have the Delmhorst J-4 and really like it......

Steve Southwood
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks again, I figured a good one will be expensive. Might not be this year, but one is on the list.

Peter Quinn
01-15-2009, 6:58 PM
I too have a Delmhorst J-2000, built in species correction, temperature adjustment that I set using a laser non contact thermometer, the ability to use insulated pins that come with it for higher moisture contents or a pin hammer to check deep in rough wood, all in all a very good meter that remains accurate. Very versatile. Trusted by professionals when it counts. I like it.