PDA

View Full Version : Mortise & tenon capabilities of Leigh D4R-M2 jig – Domino replacement?

Sean Rainaldi
01-14-2009, 9:11 AM
I would be interested to hear any input on the mortise and tenon capabilities of the Leigh D4R jig with the M2 Mortise and tenon accessory. How is it working out for you?

Specifically I was wondering, can I mill angled mortise and tenon joints with the M2? Such as a 90 or a 45 joint?

Would you consider the M2 with the D4R a good replacement for the Festool Domino? Is there anything that the Domino can do that the Leigh D4R – M2 combo can’t do?

Thanks for any input.

Al Navas
01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Sean,

Please call the Leigh Customer Support folks, at 1.800.663.8932 . You will enjoy talking to them, and will get all your answers to this question.

Before I end: For mortise and tenon I have the Leigh FMT, as I prefer integral tenons for my work. Of course, I can always do floating tenons with my router and various bits.

Sean Rainaldi
01-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Sean,

Please call the Leigh Customer Support folks, at 1.800.663.8932 . You will enjoy talking to them, and will get all your answers to this question.

Before I end: For mortise and tenon I have the Leigh FMT, as I prefer integral tenons for my work. Of course, I can always do floating tenons with my router and various bits.

Yes Thanks Al,

I have spoke with the good folks at Leigh several times. I also want to get some independent perspectives from woodworkers who have used the Leigh and Domino as well.

I would love to also buy the FMT or a Domino but right now I need a dovetail jig and thought the Leigh would suffice for both.

Brent Smith
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Sean,

I have all the above mentioned M&T jigs. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

The M2 excels at 90 degree M&Ts on flat work. A good example would be through M&T on bookcase sides.

The Domino can be thought of along the lines of a biscuit joiner. It will work anywhere you can line it up.

The FMT is best suited to what the name suggests, frame work. this along with work on chair parts is where it's strengths lie.

I don't think there is one all around best (with the exception of saw and Mortise chisel) way to do it. Whether the M2 is worth it to you depends on what you plan on using it for.

Sean Rainaldi
01-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi Sean,

...Whether the M2 is worth it to you depends on what you plan on using it for.

Thanks much,

So as far as it's capabilities r concerned, would it be mainly for 90 degree angles, shelving, book cases and the like? Would it be a good tool for doing face frames as well?

James Hart
01-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I'll echo Brent.

I have both also.

If you're looking for the 'look' of through tenons on case work, the template for the D4 is hard to beat.

You can take the Domino to just about any piece. Much more versatile overall.

Depends on what you think you'll be doing most.

Jim

Brent Smith
01-14-2009, 2:11 PM
Thanks much,

So as far as it's capabilities r concerned, would it be mainly for 90 degree angles, shelving, book cases and the like? Would it be a good tool for doing face frames as well?

Hi Sean,

Without doing some fancy jigging, the M2 is only for 90 degree work. As far as doing face frame work goes, it can be done but falls far short of the FMT for this sort of work. Your best all around bet is the Domino, but you will be trading off some of the precision the other two provide in their specific uses.

Colin Wollerman
01-14-2009, 3:10 PM
Hi Guys,

I am about to make the jump from pocket holes to M&T and enjoy threads like this. Thx.

Q: Does the Mortise Pal fall into this category?

I have a router Table, TS and an ol ShopSmith so I could probably get by with some shop Jiggin but the MP looks handy (and affordable)

The WoodRat, Domino, etc. are currently out of my price range and I am not all that crazy about dovetails.

Thank's
Colin

Brent Smith
01-14-2009, 3:54 PM
Hi Colin,

I've never used the Mortise Pal, but a woodworker I know and respect did a review on it in one of the mags a while back, he was impressed. I looks to me to be the M&T version of the DowelMax, which I would highly recommend. Here's a link to a review on this forum on the Mortise Pal http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=79482