PDA

View Full Version : another australian crazy tree

Graham Sugar
01-14-2009, 4:52 AM
Hi all:D
I thought you may be interested in another of our strange trees the
Coastal Tea Tree
Leptospermum laevigatum
Grows in to some strange twisted shapes . it grows on the coastal dunes and is shaped by the wind and time. the dry timber goes very grey with the salt and you have to be quick to beat the termites who love the stuff
But as the pic of the pen shows hidden inside is a rare beauty
the bit shown sure has some crazey shapes made by mum nature
I will think about this bit for a while but I think I may make it in to a double candle holder just trimming the vertical bit to allow a boring with a 60MM forstner with a second at the center of the curve and just planing the base to sit flat
I am going to try sand blasting on a small offcut to see if I can just remove the grey ( the pic of the pen shows what is inside) and expose the grain any suggestions would be most welcome
Regards
Graham Sugar

Jeff Nicol
01-14-2009, 5:38 AM
Graham, The amount of simply wonderful turning stock and the beauty of your country has intrigued me for a long time! I had chance in the eary 80's to come stay for a while but had other commitments. I really regret it now! I was thinking that a wire wheel on a small grinder or drill to remove any of the loose bits and then blasting with walnut shell media may be the way to go. That way no sand in the wood. It looks like the outside grey area is very craggy and buy just sanding it down to reveal the inner wood might make a great contrast also. I would like to have a chance at all the wonders from down under like you! But the lottery gods are not on my side!

Great pen and thanks for the info!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2009, 7:29 AM
That's quite the tree Graham! Seems like the best looking wood grain always comes from the worst looking wood! You have a winner here as the pen shows some beautiful wood! Best of luck with the piece pictured! Would think sandblasting with something other than sand would be the way to go. Hope to see the finished product! Thanks for sharing!

Belinda Barfield
01-14-2009, 7:45 AM
Very cool tree, and beautiful pen! Thanks for sharing.

mike holden
01-14-2009, 8:58 AM
Graham,
That is beautiful wood.
The obvious suggestion, and maybe "carrying coals to Newcastle", is to make a boomerang from the piece shown.
The grain is running in the correct directions and there should be plenty of local "experts" in their shaping.
The off cuts would make lovely pens, stoppers, pen boxes, etc.
Mike

Danny Thompson
01-14-2009, 9:57 AM
Crazy tree! Beautiful pen!

. . . and what has to be the coolest name: "Graham Sugar!"

Graham Sugar
01-14-2009, 3:50 PM
Crazy tree! Beautiful pen!

. . . and what has to be the coolest name: "Graham Sugar!"

Thanks Danny I have been stuck with it for 64 years the real funny one is my cousine she was born Sue Sugar and married Derreck Hog
regards
Graham

Bill Bolen
01-14-2009, 4:00 PM
That "down under" wood is some mighty pretty stuff. Thanks for sharing...Bill..

Leo Van Der Loo
01-14-2009, 4:06 PM
I personally think you'd be hard pressed to better Mother nature, it took many years of natural sandblasting to get to where it is now, and I would leave well enough alone, and work with what you have, just my opinion of course.
Whatever you choose to do, do show the outcome please :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2009, 8:23 PM
What a tree. Really a nice looking pen.

John Fricke
01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Baking soda is another blasting media you may consider that would be less abrasive on your tools than sand.