View Full Version : first square bowl

Larry Marley
01-13-2009, 11:20 PM
8" square by 2' tall.
Curly maple.
I was scared the whole time this thing was spinning...:o

David Christopher
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Larrry, that is a heck of a job. that really looks nice. when I get real brave I might try one but you have set the bar high

Don Carter
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Larry:
That is very, very Marley turned! Great piece, I love your work.

All the best.

Don

Bill Bolen
01-13-2009, 11:31 PM
I haven't worked up my nerve for that one yet but you sure did a heck of a job on yours! Maby someday...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
01-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Very nice Larry! Beautiful wood and finish! Love the slightly raised lip! Adds just a touch of distinction between bowl and wings! Very nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Nicely done Larry!

I started one and chickened out. My knuckles were hurting and they weren't even hit.

Dewey Torres
01-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Larry,
Come on man you are a superstar!!! You weren't really afraid, I just know it. I pump your threads and website every chance I get and I watch all of your videos 1 once per quarter. Hearing you say you were "scared" to me is like super man saying he didn't think he could leap over that tall building in a single bound. JK.

Guys I am close to joining you world... I must answer the vortex, for it is calling!

Bob Hamilton
01-14-2009, 1:21 AM
Looks good, Larry! I agree, that bead really adds definition to the bowl.

Great job!
Bob

Jeff Nicol
01-14-2009, 5:51 AM
I have been wanting to do one for a while, along with about 20 other things! With all the nice turnings you do fear is your friend, if your are not a lttle afraid that is when you can get hurt!

Very nice job!

Jeff

Duff Bement
01-14-2009, 7:44 AM
Extreamly nice - I just did my first one last weekend and mine didn't turn out antwhere near as nice as that. It might of had something to do with my fingertips being so sore from gettin hit by those invisible corners. MAN THAT HURTS!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Mine was about 8 x 3/4 when finished. Maybe having the extra depth would help. What I had in mind was just what yours looks like. GREAT JOB. I will post my next one if it turns out.

Jim Kountz
01-14-2009, 9:14 AM
Larry I think you could turn a football and make it art!! Nice job!!

George Morris
01-14-2009, 11:50 AM
So this is the guy with the great vidios! Your site is very very good, love to watch you turn great music also! Very nice sq. edge bowl!

Frank Townend
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
That is beautiful Larry, great form and nice attention to the wood.

Allen Neighbors
01-14-2009, 1:48 PM
Well done bowl, Larry. I love your website. I learned how to turn coffee scoops from watching your video... they've been some of my best sellers at craft shows. Thank you for sharing your expertise with us. You're a good man, and well appreciated. And you're probably not told that enough. :)

Dewey! What? You don't have a lathe set up and spinning yet? Come on in... the water, er uh, vortex, is fine. :D

Larry Marley
01-14-2009, 7:01 PM
wow,
thank you everyone...

I'm going to need a bigger hat!

Bernie Weishapl
01-14-2009, 7:56 PM
Very nicely done Larry. Great looking wood and finish.

Dewey Torres
01-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Dewey! What? You don't have a lathe set up and spinning yet? Come on in... the water, er uh, vortex, is fine. :D

Allen,
I didn't know you were tracking my progress towards the vortex. Yes I will be joining the "club" soon.

Rich Boehlke
01-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Very nice piece, Larry. I have been to your WEB site some time ago, before discovering SMC. Your WEB site is most impressive and wonderfully educational. Thanks for all the obvious time and effort that went into it. Your demos are high on my to do list.

Nice to meet you.

Tony Greenway
01-15-2009, 7:12 AM
That's a beauty, Larry. Did you do all the sanding with it mounted on the lathe?

steven carter
01-15-2009, 9:43 AM
Very nice square bowl Larry! Looks like an opportunity for another of your great tutorial videos. I really love your website, I copied your Christmas Bells this past Christmas and they made a big hit, especially with my wife, and my mother, who collects bells. Thanks again for all your time and effort to help other turners, you epitomize the way turners give of themselves to help other turners.

Steve

Larry Marley
01-15-2009, 3:31 PM
That's a beauty, Larry. Did you do all the sanding with it mounted on the lathe?

Hi Tony,
I did some power sanding on the lathe but at 50RPM .
The sanding near the feet was by hand, without the lathe powered.