PDA

View Full Version : Jet JMF-5 Mortiser?

Robert foster
01-13-2009, 11:13 PM
How about some reports from those of you who bought the JMF-5? I bought one and had it shipped to my house but I am 1200 miles south of there. How did it come packaged, have you used it yet and what are the +s and -s? What should I expect as far as assembly etc. when I get home?

Bob

Mike Heidrick
01-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Comes on a pallet. Two boxes - one 40 lbs (stand) one about 240lbs (mortiser). If you can lift it it is easy to assemble. Good castings and a very nice machine. My only issue is that the left fence set screw for the work-stop bar is stripped. I will re-tap it. Other than that it is perfect. Have not used it yet. One other issue - I really want to sell my benchtop Powermatic 701 now!

Tom Godley
01-14-2009, 8:37 AM
As said it comes in two boxes on one pallet

I waited a few days until I could get a pick-up truck to move it -- it would have been no problem removing the boxes from the pallet and putting them in my SUV.

It is very easy to put together -- the unit just sits on top of the stand and it bolted together with four bolts. Install the handle and the mdf on the fence. It required two people to do this.

Its a nice unit - I would have liked some levelers on the otherwise well made stand. But it does have holes.

The handle setting are a little off for me -- one notch is too low the next one is a little high, But I found this to be the case with all the other manufactures at this price point.

Noah Vig
01-14-2009, 9:06 AM
Looks very nice so far IMHO. My brother helped me lift machine onto base and it was no problem. I raised it approx. 6 inches with a mobile base and wood platform. Haven't used it yet. Cold out there lately and working on getting shop setup before starting any projects.

Paul Ryan
01-14-2009, 9:59 AM
As others have said it is super easy to assemble. I just put mine together last weekend. It sat in the back of my pick-up since 12/23. I wanted to get a mobile base built for it before I assembled it. It would be pretty low if it wasn't lited by a base. I bought some casters from great lakes and made a small box for it. I mounted it my self, it is heavy. All I did was have the machine base sitting on the mobile base and then lifted the machine top off the pickup and gently set it down on the base. Since you dont have to lift it off the floor it isn't that bad. But if it is on the floor you will need help. I am still looking for chisels for it. It is too cold for building right now. It didn't get above 0 yesterday and tonight will be -20 or worse. So, I am going to wait until it warms up.

Where have the rest of you bought your chisels from?