PDA

View Full Version : How's the Economy for You?

Eric Jackson
01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Just checking to see what the economy outlook is for others out there in the lasering world. We run a small shop in Alabama and haven't really felt any drop in our products. We customize templates for prisons, but also handle some trophies and plaques. Just thouhgt I'd ask how others are doing.

Steve Clarkson
01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
All doom and gloom in NY.....and people are very worried about losing their jobs.....our employment "section" of the paper is down to about TWO pages now.......there aren't many companies hiring.

So what is a prison template?

James Stokes
01-13-2009, 11:38 PM
My buisness is dead in the water.

Bill Cunningham
01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
So far, Canada has not been hit as hard as the U.S. One thing that is helping, is the Canadian dollar is down about 20% compared to the USBuck, so my American sales are are starting to climb again. Back from the big slump in U.S. orders back when the Canabuck was 10% above the US$ .. Last year was the second best year I've had in the last 20, and January so far has been very busy, and I hope it continues. I'm currently working with a 8 -15 business day turnaround, depending on my backlog, and what it is.. I'm just hoping gas prices stay down.. Oil was $37 a barrel this morning and thats good news for everyone but the oil companies..

Joe Pelonio
01-14-2009, 8:08 AM
With the economy, normal holiday slow period, record snow followed by flooding, my sign orders in December were at an all-time (15 year) low.
The laser side was not much better. So far this month things are a lot
busier but still not close to normal. Customers are just not spending the money like they used to. Seems like every day I see one of my customers going out of business.

Albert Nix
01-14-2009, 8:39 AM
I am ending my first year in the sign and engraving business so it is hard for me to compare. I am still picking up new customers but it could be better.

Mike Null
01-14-2009, 9:53 AM
Mine is a little slow but I carried over a large amount from Dec. so I'll have a very big month. But I'll have to go some to break even with Jan to Jan orders.

Rob Bosworth
01-14-2009, 10:47 AM
We have been very busy. About 2 years ago, we decided some things have to change for our future. We started doing more laser systems service and spare parts sales. Machine sales might be off a little bit, but the service side of things has grown. Spare parts sales have been fairly strong. We can't carry everything, but a few odd parts have been OK. We are now trying to figure how to expand the service side of things. So far, we have concentrated on the upper Midwest, but I think that can grow. We have to go to the Caribbean for a week to install, train and service a couple of machines in February. We have written to a couple of the laser systems manufactures and offered our services for those far away places, but I think they think we are just trying to get out of the cold weather for a while. (Who would want to leave 11 below 0 F.)

So if anyone needs some service to be performed, and better yet, if we could do a few in an area to share expenses, we are available. Now that the kids are gone, the dogs are gone, we could be gone.

Kenneth Hertzog
01-14-2009, 10:53 AM
It started in the spring of 08
they canceled the spring shows ( 2 )
had no orders for the summer
guess people were buying gas instead
fall wasn't to bad but all sales were cash
no credit cards.
the christmas season was OK but not great
I've started off the new year with a few sales
but nothing to make me retire yet :-(

ken

Dee Gallo
01-14-2009, 10:55 AM
We have to go to the Caribbean for a week to install, train and service a couple of machines in February.

Wow, Rob, the sacrifices you make for your business! THAT'S dedication!

But seriously, I personally am glad to see more people get into the service end instead of just sales - we "users" prefer to talk face to face. As nice as the Epilog phone tech people are, I really like getting a house call from my friendly tech guy.

I wish you even greater success for 2009!

Oh yeah...answering the original post: my biz is about the same, even though the economy is tight. This is due to my work being a small niche and the type of customers I have are more comfortable than the average person.

cheers, dee

Stephen Beckham
01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Although my Christmas sales were down very slightly over last year, the overall year still finished up about 30% higher than last year. I'm in the January lull right now as well, but I've got the military base still trickeling in enough to cover the cost of doing business...

I'm still in that unique position of BRAC where we're loosing 10,000ish basic training soldiers in exchange for 6,500ish junior to senior level soldiers (four new General level Commands moving in along with other types of units). Translation - 10,000 that never get a plaque to 6,500 which everyone of them will get some kind of shadowbox, plaque, or something in between when they get out, retire or change to their next duty station....

That transition hasn't started yet, but will soon. Starting about spring time, there will be a high amount of retirements from the civilian personnel that don't want to move with their current units as they leave - most will get something, there's going to be some ceremonial events to roll up the units etc... And there are the Soldiers that are leaving right now to pre-position at the new locations for the leaving units...

Not only that - we've got a big unit over in Iraq right now that's about half way done, and they are already pre-ordering things to give to their troops when they return in the fall...

I figure if I make it through February - it'll be all alright - after that, I might be preparing for expansion to keep up with the expected increase of work (Big Guy's will of course).

_____

Ooops - in a good way I went back to check again to verify - I had it backwards - my Christmas was slightly higher this year over last year. Yea!!!!

Martin Boekers
01-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Steve, are you on base or off base?

I have some individual coin holders that might work good for you. (I make them in the shop on base or buy from a vendor) PM me and I'll pass on the info.

Marty

Eric Jackson
01-18-2009, 6:22 PM
We take the electronic switch panels, measure them out and vector/engrave cover panels for them.

Steve Clarkson
01-18-2009, 6:39 PM
We take the electronic switch panels, measure them out and vector/engrave cover panels for them.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Bill Cunningham
01-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for clarifying that.

I can foresee the biggest problem I'm probably going to have with this recession, will be the same as I had with the last one.. That's suppliers going out of business, and then having to waste time looking for other suppliers for things I used to get on a regular basis. I'm hoping beyond hope, that ALL of my suppliers weather this storm. Particularly my major suppliers.. Rodney's right, in that other thread about Mom & Pop businesses being able to survive while the larger suppliers with more overhead are the ones that will go down.. Unfortunately, a lot of the Mom & Pop operations depend on the larger guys for stock..