PDA

View Full Version : Got a Compressor...

Mike OMelia
01-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Now I need some tools. My biggest concern is a sprayer for nitro and acrylic (I am building guitars). I need to be conservative on cost... but I do not want junk. So its a balance. I also want an impact wrench (car stuff). My compressor is a 60 gallon Kobalt. I think a rotary tool would be nice too. Does one need to buy special sockets for use with impact wrenches?

Newbie to pressurized air,

Mike

Sonny Edmonds
01-13-2009, 11:15 PM
I can find a lot of places selling Kobalt air compressors, but not a 60 gallon one.
Got a link?

tim mathis
01-13-2009, 11:24 PM
yes, you need to use impact sockets.if you don't use impact sockets the regular sockets will crack and split.

Mike OMelia
01-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I can find a lot of places selling Kobalt air compressors, but not a 60 gallon one.
Got a link?

Sonny, my Lowes has them... but rarely do they post them on line. I actually bought this one "barely used" off CL in Huntsville, AL. The guy bought it in July then moved. Left here to sell... got for $350 (with a regulator). They retail in the store for $450 (w/o a regulator).

Since it is Lowes, I do not have to worry about it.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Mike,

You might start a thread in the "Finishing" forum and ask about sprayers and get some more input.

Mike OMelia
01-14-2009, 12:12 AM
yes, you need to use impact sockets.if you don't use impact sockets the regular sockets will crack and split.

Good to know. ;-)

So, how about an impact wrench reccomendation? Lowes has a Kobalt, 500 ft/lbs $70 and one at 350 ft/lbs for $45, both 1/2". Is that a real cheapo?

Joe Chritz
01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
In before the new thread. :D

Top cup DeVillbis finishline. One of the best bangs for the buck in HVLP in my (not so) humble opinion. I have a fair amount of gallons through mine and I am very happy. Good quality, easy to use and easy to clean.

I really like top cup guns unless I am going to be doing a lot of spraying at one time or I need to get into a box. I don't spray more than 1/2 gallon at any one time and I work around the box if it comes up.

Joe

Josiah Bartlett
01-14-2009, 12:35 AM
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the Harbor Freight HVLP gravity feed guns are quite good. I painted my motorcycle with one, turned out great.

With impact guns, get the most torque you can afford in a half inch socket and then you can throttle it back for normal use. Only use it for removing bolts, never for installing them. If you need something bigger than that you can rent it.

Tom Esh
01-14-2009, 1:01 AM
Watch out for the el-cheapo (Kobalt, HF, etc) impact wrenchs. Honestly a 1/2" breaker bar is more useful.
Impact sockets are tougher, but just as importantly they're usually 6-point instead of 12. That means they're less likely to strip a head, especially one that's already rounded.

Paul Ryan
01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Mike,

You don't have to buy impact sockets but it is a good idea. The chrome sockets are much harder than impact sockets. I have been using both sockets for years and have broke both types multiple times. If you use a chrome socket with and impact it can shatter. I have never seen it happen but it can happen since it is so hard. A impact socket which is made with more moly in it, is much softer. Unless you buy a high priced set (snap on) the walls are thicker too. So when these sockets break they will not shatter. As far as the wrench goes I wouldn't buy one with less than 500 ft/lbs. That was the standard when I started wrenching, but now you can get 1/2 with up to 1000ft/lbs. 500 will do most of what you need. I hate sending anyone to sears but they have a IR clone, maybe even made by IR with 600-700 for usually around $100. I have heard good reports about those. The wrench I have is 20 years old an old IR that is still the aluminum case, heavy as hell, but it has power. Otherwise you can call up the local MAC dealer and buy a 3/8 that has 400lb/ft and weighs only about 3lbs but run about $250. You will still need a breaker bar but not very often.

Mike OMelia
01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
In before the new thread. :D

Top cup DeVillbis finishline. One of the best bangs for the buck in HVLP in my (not so) humble opinion. I have a fair amount of gallons through mine and I am very happy. Good quality, easy to use and easy to clean.

I really like top cup guns unless I am going to be doing a lot of spraying at one time or I need to get into a box. I don't spray more than 1/2 gallon at any one time and I work around the box if it comes up.

Joe

OK, I am going to take this conversation over to the Finishing forum... but I have to ask: Are you talking about using an HVLP with compressed air? (and not an HVLP turbine) I think I heard about doing this.

Mike