PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 70 500

dennis kranz
01-13-2009, 10:00 PM
When you check the forums you will find lots of info about the Rikon Mini but nothing about the larger 70 500. It's priceing is close to the PM 3520 at 2800.00 maybe thats why. Has anyone heard good or bad about this machine? Anyone out there used one? As much as the mini is liked I would have thought more would be said about big brother. Any reviews?
Dennis

Dave Lehnert
01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
I know next to nothing about wood lathes but do know that lathe is a Woodfast lathe. Try a search on woodfast and see if you can find out the info you are looking for.
The lathe you are looking at is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5

Gordon Seto
01-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't know about this model. The Woodfast that our Club had was a bear to clean up between the ways. Shaving fell between the ways has nowhere to go and hinder the movement of the banjo.

David Walser
01-14-2009, 2:32 AM
The new "big brother" Rikon is made under license to Woodfast of Australia. I've seen, but not had a chance to turn on, the Rikon. A Woodfast, made in '99 (per the serial number) is my primary lathe at home. Not too long ago, the Woodfast was an elite brand - on par with a Vicmark - and would have been considered a step up from the Powermatic. The Rikon lathe's design may be considered a little long in the tooth - lacking stainless steel ways or a sliding headstock - but it should be a very solid performer capable of giving years of smooth turning. IIRC, the Rikon was evaluated by a major woodworking magazine about a year ago (Fine Woodworking?). The Woodfast/Rikon got high marks compared with the other lathes tested. They really liked the lathe's smoothness, power, and toolrest. The only downgrade was for the lever used to secure the toolrest height; they thought it should be more stout. (It's a fair cop with an easy solution: I just wack mine with the handle of whatever tool I'm turning with.) HTH Pls forgive all the typos & spelling errors. I'm posting this from my phone and editing is more difficult than usual.

Benjamin Dahl
01-14-2009, 9:52 AM
Dennis, I will try to give a review sometime soon. I have been too busy to really get into writing one, but bought one on sale about a year ago. Since then I have not had as much time to turn as I had planned but do feel I have now turned enough to give feedback.

A short response is that it is quite solid and smooth and a joy to use.

Ben