PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Jig Saw choice

Joel Goodman
01-13-2009, 8:36 PM
I am asking for comments on Bosch Jig Saws -- The barrel grip model is available in two models; the old 1584 and the newer 1591 model. Both at close to $150. What is the advantage of the new one? I have used the old model and was impressed but maybe the newer one is better? The older version of the top handle #1587 is available at about $90. I haven't used it but the price is right. What to do?

Ron Jones near Indy
01-13-2009, 8:55 PM
I have the 1587 and love it. As far as comparison, I can't comment on that.

Ted Shrader
01-13-2009, 9:08 PM
Joel -

This is one of those personal choice items. You need to put your hands on them to see how the feel in your hands. All are good saws.

I have had the 1587 for several years and am pleased with it.

Regards,
Ted

Ed Kilburn
01-13-2009, 9:08 PM
I've got the 1591, the first jig saw with a barrel grip, and I'm not going back. The my cordless still has a handle, but I'll be upgrading when Bosch brings out a cordless barrel model.

Randal Stevenson
01-13-2009, 11:48 PM
There are some differences. Blade changing mechanism's and the blade stabilizer on the newer 1590/91 (depending on handle type). If you do a lot of coping with a jig saw (or plan to and need to buy the adapter that only works with the older models), then get the older one. If you only do straight work, and want to use it with THICKER (not just 3/4"), then go for the newer with the blade stabilizer.

Not sure how your going to use it, use your budget as a factor. (I picked up the 1587 quite some time back now, for $80) My intention, after buying the first one for the price, is to later try the other handle style, and maybe pick it up in the newer model.

Dave Falkenstein
01-14-2009, 12:12 AM
I had the older model Bosch. I used it on 2X redwood decking (read soft) and had way out of square cuts. I switched to a Festool jig saw several years ago, which has blade guides similar to the newer Bosch. I would recommend the new model Bosch over the older one, unless you need to use a Collins coping foot which fits only the older model, AFAIK. The Festool saw is about $100 more than the Bosch.

John Sanford
01-14-2009, 1:26 AM
The blade changing on the newer ones is much friendlier. After my last adventure with the former top-o-the-line DeWalt, I'm going to be adding either the newest Bosch (barrel grip) or a Festool to my acquisitions list. Blade stabilization is something I really want.

glenn bradley
01-14-2009, 1:35 AM
+1 on the 1591EVS but the preference for a barrel grip is just that; a preference. My dad has the 1587 VS and it is a very nice tool. I do like the extra power (6.4 amps vs. 5 amps), blade change and the guides on my 1591 better but I don't know that I would pay $50 for them . . . Oh wait . . . I did ;-) If you do much vertical or inverted work the 1587 is several ounces lighter but this is not a deal maker or breaker for me.

peter de tappan
01-14-2009, 5:57 AM
Never got the hang of blade changes on the 1587. Gave it away and bought a 1590. Blade changes are foolproof and dead easy on the 1590 and 1591. Much better saws.

Chris Kennedy
01-14-2009, 7:20 AM
I have the 1587 and my FIL has the 1590. I love my 1587 -- I have done a lot of work with it, and would never part with it. I haven't had any trouble with it making out of square cuts.

I've used my FIL's 1590 as well. Very nice saw and very well worth the money. On the other hand, given the price, I would buy the 1587 again.

Cheers,

Chris

John Thompson
01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
I have had the older Bosch barrel grip for around 6 years. I much prefer the barrel over the D handle as I have much more feel of control with my hands in a better suited place for "me". And control the Bosch does give you as I considered jig-saws jokes until I got the Bosch.

As far as blade changes go.. it takes me no more than 20 seconds to change one but I do it rather often. How long is depress the plunge.. three turns counter-clockwise.. turn old blade and remove.. insert new blade.. 3 turns clockwise until it clicks going to take? But.. it they have a faster way now... so be it as I suppose many forget the sequence even though it is pictured right on the saw. ;)

The blade stablizer would be an asset if you do very thick stock which most likely you won't in a home shop but not a bad upgrade just in case. I have never had a problem with stability. And for those that are not aware... Amazon and a few sell the Bosch anti-splinter inserts for the base in a pack of 5 I believe for a couple of bucks. That teamed with the new Extra Clean blades is about as close to heaven as I will get. :)

Sarge..

Joel Goodman
01-14-2009, 7:31 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Larry Edgerton
01-14-2009, 8:23 PM
If the new one will not work with the Collins coping foot I need to buy another one of the old ones, thats the best reason to have a barrel grip. Metebo made a barrel grip as well.

James Ayars
01-16-2009, 7:13 PM
Another vote for 90/91. Bought a 1587 a while back, kept it one night and took it back for a 1590. No regrets spending the extra money.

James

Vince Shriver
01-16-2009, 7:54 PM
I had the older "click" model that required you twist a pop up handle three times to change the blade. I hated that, and actually had to take it in to Bosch to have it worked on. I replaced the tool with the newer model -- fool proof and love it. As to barrel vs handle, that whatever you're comfortable with; I really think you could get used to either.

John Bailey
01-16-2009, 9:43 PM
I've used both and found them both to be excellent. I really couldn't say one was better than the other. I bought the newer barrel grip, but, I bought it just because I figured if I was buying new, I might as well get the newer model.

You can't go wrong with either.

John