PDA

View Full Version : Looking for collet type tool handle plans

Chris Haas
01-13-2009, 8:23 PM
basically i'm looking for anyone that has made any of the tool handles with the plastic tubing over them. drilled with a 3/8 hole on one end and a 5/8ths on the other. i think they are made of aluminum, but if anyone has done it a different way, i would be interested to hear/see about it. I think i can figure it out on my own, but if i can learn from someone elses mistakes, that would be good too. thanks, chris

Chris Haas
01-14-2009, 6:38 PM
nobody out there has done this?

Don Carter
01-14-2009, 6:49 PM
Chris:
I bought one of Dave Peebles handles during the holidays and I have been very pleased. Here is his site: http://www.bowlturner.com/

I just didn't think that I could put together the tools and materials for the $35 per handle that Dave charges, and I am not really set up to do them.

I know that this doesn't give you much help, but I think Dave's handles are hard to beat. And he might give you some pointers if you contact him.

All the best.

Don

Bruce Stangeby
01-14-2009, 8:01 PM
I have made several handles from aluminum tubing. You need to make or buy a collet to fit the tool handle and the inside of the tubing. I made mine.
The tool handle is held with set screws. Plastic tubing with impregnated fiber mesh is available at most hardware stores.
Easy to make without much cost.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes Chris I have drilled 1" round hot rolled steel for heavier handles, drilled and tapped for 2 set-screws and I got 1" reinforced clear high pressure water hose over the outside.
I use them a lot, especially with roughing out bowl blanks as the weight helps to steady and absorb the vibration.
I have a metal lathe and drilled right through the handle bigger one side than the other, so I can use the handles for different size tools.
I have a picture here that shows one of the handles, HTH

Bill Noce
01-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Here's a couple handles 1. 16"long, 2. 20" long that I made real simple purchased some aluminum tude !"od x 1/2"id, drilled holes on side for set screws(5/16/18) got some shovel handle foam tubing and that was that. But yo can also get solid rod and drill the size you want.
I have two Trent Bosch handles for 5/8" gouges 16" long I plan on making a longer handle maybe 20" + from this tubing by just drilling the 1/2" hole to 5/8" about 2 1/2" deep. I plugged the end of each and filled with lead shot for weight. The cost of both handles was around $25.00.