PDA

View Full Version : Resawing walnut without a bandsaw

Radek Kowalski
01-13-2009, 8:15 PM
Hey everyone, I am messing around and building a guitar now. I wanted to bookmatch walnut for the top but I do not have a bandsaw right now. We are talking about resawing a piece that is 5in wide, thickness of 1/2 to 3/4in. Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks alot.

David DeCristoforo
01-13-2009, 8:21 PM
http://www.wealddown.co.uk/images%20magazines/yip%20pit%20saw.jpg

Oh and BTW, you can also use a table saw and just flip the piece over cutting from both edges.

Chris Padilla
01-13-2009, 8:21 PM
A table saw with a 10" blade can handle this. You just need to flip it and cut it twice to get the full depth.

A good handsaw and great skill could also be a way.

Or send me your walnut and I'll resaw it with my bandsaw! Do you know anyone locally with a bandsaw? How about a woodshop? I bet it wouldn't cost much for them to resaw it and clean it up for you....

Frederick Rowe
01-13-2009, 8:26 PM
Use a table saw. Elevate blade a hair below the half width of the board, make a cut along the long width edge, flip over and repeat. Board should pull apart easily, plane away the ribbon of material that held it together. It shouldn't be a problem with a 5" wide board. Just make sure the board is not bowed or twisted which would cause your blade to be out of the plane of the cut. Use common sense and a push stick at the end of each cut.

Doug Shepard
01-13-2009, 8:51 PM
If you stick your locale in your profile, youd probably get no shortage of locale bandsaw owners volunteering to resaw it for you.

Peter Quinn
01-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I would not personally resaw a 1/2" X 5" piece of walnut on the TS in two passes, or that is to say I would not saw completely through the piece using the TS. I would raise the blade to maybe 2"-2 1/4", make a pass on each edge and saw the middle using a thin pull saw like one of those shark or Marples Japanese style saws. The TS kerfs serve to guide the hand saw through the stock and keep it centered. It can get a little hairy to push a piece that thin past a blade raised that high that close to the fence.

Or you can mail the stock to me and I will resaw it on the BS in seconds and mail it back to you!:D Or maybe another creeker closer to you, or even a cabinet or wood shop may be able to help?

Mike OMelia
01-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey everyone, I am messing around and building a guitar now. I wanted to bookmatch walnut for the top but I do not have a bandsaw right now. We are talking about resawing a piece that is 5in wide, thickness of 1/2 to 3/4in. Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks alot.

Find someone with a bandsaw. BTW, that particular size will work on a 14" bandsaw, properly setup. Me personally, I would not attempt with a CS... I'm not that brave... unless you were willing to build a jig to hold everything.

On a bandsaw, you will get more out of that block too. C'mon! you know you were looking for an excuse to buy that bandsaw!

Mike

Andrew Joiner
01-14-2009, 2:20 AM
Yes it can be done. Many here would say it is not safe. My method is described here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1015770#poststop