PDA

View Full Version : non carbide saw blades

Vince Shriver
01-13-2009, 8:07 PM
Does anyone use, or know where to purchase, non carbide table saw blades. When I got my table saw years ago it came with a Delta blade that cut cleaner than any carbide blade I have used since. It did need sharpening quite often, but when it was sharp it was great. Just curious.

Dewey Torres
01-13-2009, 8:10 PM
Vince,
Sadly these blades dull very quickly compared to carbide so over the life of the blade the time , money (or both) spent sharpening make the carbide a superior blade. That is why hardly anyone uses them anymore.

Tom Walz
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Might try makita or Oldham - they both sell them.

Charles McCracken
01-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Does anyone use, or know where to purchase, non carbide table saw blades. When I got my table saw years ago it came with a Delta blade that cut cleaner than any carbide blade I have used since. It did need sharpening quite often, but when it was sharp it was great. Just curious.

Which carbide blades you have tried? There are a lot of excellent blades available for most every application so you may find that there are some that will satisfy your needs and still offer the longer life that make carbide more desirable. Let us know the applications you have and which saw and you will get lots of recommendations.

Randy Rose
01-14-2009, 1:49 PM
Does anyone use, or know where to purchase, non carbide table saw blades.

non-carbide blades 10" available online from DeWalt
# DW3370 # DW3372

OR, check Ace Hardware for availability

glenn bradley
01-14-2009, 5:13 PM
Check the wall at the BORG. Oldham, DeWalt, (the new) Porter Cable and I think Ridgid have some offered. Maybe Sears too.

Brian Effinger
01-14-2009, 5:22 PM
Definitely HD or Lowes or any big box home improvement store. That would be your best bet because they are all over the place. They should have a few of these to choose from.

Paul Demetropoulos
01-14-2009, 6:02 PM
The only application I can think of where there might be an advantage would be the tiny toothed plywood blades, but they dull fast too and there seems to be better choices in carbide there as well.

Dave Falkenstein
01-14-2009, 6:04 PM
Vince - -I would offer to send you my old steel blades, but I made clocks out of them and gave them away to woodworker friends. :)

Jon Grider
01-14-2009, 6:29 PM
My old HSS blades when sharp do cut cleaner than any carbide I have now,including Systematic, Freud, and Tenryu. As you have noted they do need sharpening far more frequently,but they sure do cut nice after a quality sharpening. I have several Sears[believeitornot] "hollow ground planer" blades that just produce a super smooth edge whether ripping or cross cutting. They haven't beenused in several years and are dull right now, but your post made me remember them. Now if I could remember where they are, I may just have one sharpened.

guy knight
01-14-2009, 10:33 PM

i used to start my fires with 2 rocks and cook my meat that i killed with a spear until they came out with stoves and stores
try a WWII blade and you will never use a standard blade again

Charlie Plesums
01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
I gave all my non-carbide blades to Saw Stop to use for demos.

Joe Chritz
01-15-2009, 12:39 AM
HSS will take a shaper edge then carbide. That is why you are seeing the improvement in the cut with new blades. You are also seeing the major disadvantage to having a HSS blade.

The quality of a cut in a power tool blade isn't enough (if measurable at all) to justify the added effort of resharpening so many times over to make them worthwhile.

If you want them they are still around but likely finding quality non-carbide blades will be a bit tough.

Joe

Dave Potter
01-15-2009, 8:19 AM
I recommend Ace, True Value, or even Sears over a big box for steel blades. It has been my experience the plywood blades I get for my circular saw from True Value, which are less expensive than those at a big box, actually hold their edge longer than some of the brand names mentioned in this thread.

Dave P.

M. A. Espinoza
01-15-2009, 2:22 PM
i used to start my fires with 2 rocks and cook my meat that i killed with a spear until they came out with stoves and stores
try a WWII blade and you will never use a standard blade again

Funny just this morning I was checking out a video on the RoughCutShow (T Chisel) #98 about 1:00 in they discussed using a HSS hollow ground blade. The guy recommending it is an instructor at North Bennett Street School if that means anything.

Anyway the point is that for most uses a good carbide blade is superior but for specific applications I could see where these forgotten HSS blades would work great. Cutting small work is a great example.

I might try my high tooth miter blade before I went out and bought the HSS but for the money I could definitely see a use for that tooth count in work under 1/4".