PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Tipped Jointer Knife Sharpening

John Weber
06-24-2004, 11:42 AM
I finally pulled my carbide tipped jointer knives out of my DJ-20. They have needed sharpening for sometime, but still provided an ok cut. I've check with CGG Schmidt and Forrest for sharpening, but had a little sticker shock. Forrest wanted $2/inch and Schmidt was $2.50/inch. Could a local guy sharpen these and not screw up. What are you guys paying and where do you send them?

Thanks - John

Donnie Raines
06-24-2004, 11:57 AM
B&B saw and tool in Milford Ohio. Close to an hour drive for you...but excellant work!

513-575-4937

Joseph N. Myers
06-24-2004, 12:37 PM
John,

Just called my local saw place and they said $2.00/in for carbide, $0.50/in for steel. American Carbine, Hatboro, Pa (outside of Phila), 800-537-2371. They do blades from all over the country and are excellent.

8" x 3 blades = 24" x $2.00 = $48.00. At prices like that, maybe looking into a power sharpner might be in order. I’ve been looking at a Porter Cable for around $150 as I go through blades for my planers and joiner. I know very little about them --- maybe some of the Creekers can shed some light on them in particular, ones that do at least 8" and up to and including 18" (for my 18" WoodMaster).

Regards, Joe

Keith Outten
06-24-2004, 1:14 PM
Makita slow speed wet sharpener, good for joiner and planer knives up to 15". Great machine and has paid for itself many times over.

Jim Becker
06-24-2004, 1:30 PM
Carbide requires special equipment to sharpen...that accounts for the added cost as well as the fact that it's not generally a "do it yourself" operation, either. Additional safety precautions are also warrented for the operator due to the nature of what comes off the harder wheels and the metal being worked.

Boyd Gathwright
06-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Based on what Jim said, have you sharpened carbide blades on your Makita slow wet sharpener successfully?

Boyd :confused:

Carbide requires special equipment to sharpen...that accounts for the added cost as well as the fact that it's not generally a "do it yourself" operation, either. Additional safety precautions are also warrented for the operator due to the nature of what comes off the harder wheels and the metal being worked.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Regards and work safely,

Jim

----
"- cut once, curse twice, remember to measure next time..." - Scott Spencer - April 2004

Makita slow speed wet sharpener, good for joiner and planer knives up to 15". Great machine and has paid for itself many times over.

Ian Barley
06-25-2004, 1:45 AM
Carbide needs a diamond hone to sharpen it successfully. The outfit I use charges me about £0.35 an inch (60ish cents). I am amazed to have found a first where I can get something cheaper than you guys - yippee!!

Keith Outten
06-25-2004, 6:23 AM
Based on what Jim said, have you sharpened carbide blades on your Makita slow wet sharpener

Boyd,

Can't say I have used the Makita for carbide knives yet but it shouldn't be a problem. If you can't find a suitable diamond wheel a round stone or glass plate and diamond paste should do the job. The Makita is a very simple machine to use and is easy to adapt custom made jigs and fixtures. The Makita has a well made blade holder that is adjustable to the stone you select as each stone wears differently.

The slow speed of the wheel means that flying particles aren't a problem so it should be as safe to sharpen carbide as HSS knives. At 2 dollars per inch three 15" knives = $90.00 so the savings whould be significant and your knives will last for decades. Send them to a commercial sharpening service and you will most likely get 3 sharpenings.

Max Sprinkle
06-25-2004, 2:18 PM
John,I think $2 an inch is too much.I only charge $! per inch for carbide.It's not any more difficult to sharpen,just takes a diamond wheel to do it right.You can use a green silicone wheel but it is sloooow.Max