PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a used DC from Harbor Freight?

Michael Poller
01-13-2009, 7:22 PM
Hi All,

I have a lead on a nearly new 2HP Dust Collector. It is the Central Machinery one sold by Harbor Freight. For my small shop hobby needs, I have already decided to get one of these and add the Winn bags/filter for my dust collection needs.

Was waiting on a Harbor Freight sale but this came up for $100 (craigslist) used twice and it looks new from the pics.

I am going to check it out tomorrow. A contractor bought it and needs something more portable so he used it twice and decided to sell it and get something smaller and portable.

What about a return, if it breaks, to Harbor Freight? How tight are they about checking receipts? I could always have gotten it as a 'gift'.

It's a great deal and I'm just hesitant to be out a c-note if it breaks and I have no recourse. At least if I wait for a sale at HF and get it for closer to $150 or $200 at least I'm guaranteed the ability to return it.

Thoughts? Would you go for it if it is as new as the guy says?

Thanks,
Mike

Paul Steiner
01-13-2009, 7:27 PM
What model dc is it? Harbor frieght has a few DC and some of them are $100 on sale. But if it is a $200 model I would maybe go for it.

Michael Poller
01-13-2009, 7:38 PM
It is Harbor Freight Item 97869-0VGA. That is the $250 new 2HP DC they sell.

Not currently on sale and who knows when it would or will be.

Frank Drew
01-13-2009, 7:42 PM
Michael,

I don't know this machine, but if it's a decent one new, and if it's suitable for your situation, there's no reason not to buy used.

These things aren't particularly high tech; if you have a chance to road test it before buying, that ought to tell you all you need to know

Mike Gager
01-13-2009, 11:02 PM
lots of people have good luck with that DC, i say go for it

heres a good website with info

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/WoodNet%20HFDC%20Thread.htm

Kelly C. Hanna
01-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I bought one from a buddy who had it before me for about a year. It's been with me two years now with no problems!

Wade Lippman
01-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Seems like a good buy. Not a great DC, but its only $100.

Bear in mind that it isn't a dust collector, but rather a chip collector. Much of the fine dust will simply blow through the bag and make the air worse than doing nothing. This isn't just the HF, but any with a 30 micron bag.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Not if the Dc is upstairs! My air is better off for sure.

Sonny Edmonds
01-13-2009, 11:37 PM
I'd buy it. But I don't need one. :)

Michael Poller
01-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The advice on this board is always appreciated.

Assuming I show up and the unit is as advertised I'm going to grab it.

Bear in mind that it isn't a dust collector, but rather a chip collector. Much of the fine dust will simply blow through the bag and make the air worse than doing nothing. This isn't just the HF, but any with a 30 micron bag.

I am going to also order the 35A Series Cartridge Kit from WynnEnvironmental (going to splurge on the washable spun bond polyester version) which will give me 1.0 micron.

Eventually I'll add a ceiling hung air filtration system, and also a thein baffle if the need is there.

This is going to be a great addition to the basement shop as the current DC option is non-existent and something is better than nothing! :)