PDA

View Full Version : Miniature dovetail jigs?

Sean Rainaldi
01-13-2009, 7:21 PM
Does anyone build a Miniature dovetail jig with Leigh-type quality?

I saw the rockler template, but was wondering if there exists a jig which provides the variable spacing, quality and precision like the leigh does for things such as jewelry boxes and small boxes and the like (or maybe even doll house furniture).

I know the Omnijig has a mini template but it's extra, brings the price up to near a grand by the time you buy the jig and mini template.

Joe Spear
01-13-2009, 7:59 PM
A mini-dovetail template is available for the the Porter Cable 4212. The jig kit that comes with the mini-template in addition to the regular size is actually called the 4216. Amazon, among other places, has it. The price at Amazon at the moment is $199. With a $20 rebate, the net price is $179. Several other online sites have it also for the same price. It's a good jig.

Vince Shriver
01-13-2009, 8:25 PM
Sean,

I seem to remember an Auzzie company that made one; but for the life of me I can't remember who made it or even when I saw it.

Doug Shepard
01-13-2009, 8:36 PM
Not a DT jig per se, but I think you could do that sort of small scale DTs with a Woodrat or Routerboss.

Phil Hansen
01-14-2009, 11:38 PM
I seem to remember an Auzzie company that made one.

Gifkins dovetail jig used on a router table.
I have one, easy to setup and use. Makes clean dovetails in different sizes. Very small to big.
Also can do finger joints. Recommended.

travis howe
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
I have the pc setup that I havn't gotten to use much yet but seems fairly straight forward once you get the hang of it.

Side note though, pc uses a different angle on the dovetail bits than most anyone else makes so you have to get it from them. Some folks have bought the same size of another brand and couldn't figure out why the joints wouldn't work right....

Joe Scharle
01-15-2009, 8:26 AM
Here's the sizes my Woodrat uses

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=W/CTGY/IC

Phil Thien
01-15-2009, 9:39 AM
Gifkins dovetail jig used on a router table.
I have one, easy to setup and use. Makes clean dovetails in different sizes. Very small to big.
Also can do finger joints. Recommended.

But I don't think it does variable spacing.

Rob Young
01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I have the pc setup that I havn't gotten to use much yet but seems fairly straight forward once you get the hang of it.

Side note though, pc uses a different angle on the dovetail bits than most anyone else makes so you have to get it from them. Some folks have bought the same size of another brand and couldn't figure out why the joints wouldn't work right....

I will second that comment, BUT, if you download from the PC/Delta web site the suplimentary manual, there they explain how to match up your bit sizes between dovetail and straight bits so that you CAN use other sized bits.

Phil Hansen
01-15-2009, 11:32 PM
But I don't think it does variable spacing.
True. Forgot that was a requirement. You could skip a tail/pin and get some sort of different spacing. Not infinitatly variable though.