PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen Hand Tool Event Austin

Pedro Reyes
01-13-2009, 7:09 PM
Not sure if someone has posted about this, I apologize if anyone did.

Down here, it seems there are less of these events as well as less opportunities to snatch great finds at garage sales.

Anyway, I attended last Friday. The Jointmaker Pro was being showcased, beautiful amazing tool, just not my cup of tea. Paul Sellers was also there, demosntrating his superb skill, I took the only instruction with him a few years back, just a day course, he is a great teacher.

Lie Nielsen's reps had a couple of new tools, not seen yet on the website. A Chamfer plane (72-1/2) and the T&G #48, both looked beautiful as all LN planes do, I already have a Stanley #48 and little interest on a chamfer plane, but they were nice planes nonetheless. They also had panel saws and a larger (Tenon) progressive pitch backsaw.

Just thought I'd share that in case anyone wanted to know. Was anyone there on Friday?

peace

/p

Michael Sobik
01-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I really wanted to go, but family obligations had priority. Sounds like it was pretty neat. Thanks for the info!

David Myers
01-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Glad to hear things went well in Austin. Maybe next time they'll swing a little closer to Dallas.

For now, its probably (ok, definitely) a good thing that I couldn't go. I'm committed to earning my keep around the house for the next few months (doing things that she wants me to do) before I disappear into the shop to build my next workbench.

Jamie Buxton
01-14-2009, 12:41 AM
That event is coming to the SF Bay area in February. It'll be 13-14 February, at The Crucible.

lowell holmes
01-14-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree that Paul Sellers is a great teacher. I've taken several of their courses and I think that Paul, Stan Beckworth, and Frank Strauza are remarkable woodworkers. Their skills rival the woodworkers at Williamsburg.

I would have liked to attend the event. Maybe they will have one in the Houston area.

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-14-2009, 11:59 AM
When you say "panel saw", you mean a full 26 inch or so length blade, full hand grip?

I've been wanting to get a newer saw, but good quality one and wish LN had them. So are they coming out with them soon? I don't see them on their website.

Pedro Reyes
01-14-2009, 1:04 PM
When you say "panel saw", you mean a full 26 inch or so length blade, full hand grip?

I've been wanting to get a newer saw, but good quality one and wish LN had them. So are they coming out with them soon? I don't see them on their website.

Yup, I would not bet on the 26" but close to that if not that. Full hand grip, nib and all. The reps were not very familiar with it (very new). I honestly didn't look at it in detail, my next saw will be one from MW, I am trying to spread the 'luv' in these times. Lie Nielsen took my moola in exchage for three beautiful joinery saws, and some planes already over the last few years. Besides I've heard Mike's saws are exceptional.

In my New Year's resolutions list I included "get a MW saw" and "get a LV #289". I already own Rob's medium shoulder plane, best shoulder plane ever to be manufactured in the known and unknown universe, otherwise I would get that first.

The event was fun and the only opportunity to touch and use every single plane made by LN, and then some. Bridge City had their planes there too, they have a shoulder plane that I felt I was in front of a Lamborghini or a Ferrari when I saw it, very nice, but I didn't test it. I wish they keep coming our way.

/p

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-14-2009, 1:27 PM
Pedro,

Sounds pretty nice. I hear what you're saying on "spreading the luv" w/ buying from different mfg's. I gotta tell you, not much else tempts me right now when it comes to hand tools. I know there are really high-end guys like Bridge City, etc. All of my planes and joinery saws are LN - 4.5, 5.5, 7, 40.5, large shoulder, LA block, couple mortise chisels.

Lee valley makes really nice functional stuff, but i don't lust after them the way i would the LN. I'm not real familiar w/ MW. Sounds like i might need to check him out...where would i find his stuff?