PDA

View Full Version : toilet seat

James Jaragosky
01-13-2009, 5:22 PM
toilet seat cover with 3d bass.
the hard part will be finding a finish as good as factory.

james mcgrew
01-13-2009, 11:31 PM
james you amaze me!!

jim

Angus Hines
01-14-2009, 9:01 AM
Nice toilet seat James....was that done with Aspire?

Steven DeMars
01-14-2009, 9:17 AM
Very impressive . . . did you start with a stock seat?

Nice,
Steve

Neville Stewart
01-14-2009, 9:37 AM
You should have put a hook & line in its mouth, that way you could lift the seat ;-), Making progress James - very good. Neville

james mcgrew
01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
neville, don't you have an interesting seat??

jim

James Jaragosky
01-14-2009, 11:06 AM
james you amaze me!!

jim Thanks.
I amaze my wife as well, but usually not in a good way.

Angus; yes this is an a aspire creation, just not mine. As much as I would like to have this level of ability I am not there yet. This was part of the 50 3D images that came with Aspire, I believe James Booth created this one.

Steven; Short answer is yes. I changed out a old plain basic white seat
in my home cleaned it up and carved the bass into it.
The seat was made of mdf with a thick enamel paint applied.
The black paint I used is not sealed and is not suitable for a bathroom environment.
I think if I do this for resale that I will do it in a oak seat and seal it with some type of clear coat like liquid plastic.

Neville; Although that would be cool, I am married and the wife will put up with only so much of my shenanigans.

neville, don't you have an interesting seat??

jim
Jim I believe you're married. Quit looking at Neville's seat....:eek:

Neville Stewart
01-14-2009, 11:17 AM
thats my name Neville Patrick Andrew Shenanigan Stewart :-)

James Jaragosky
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Appliance paint is the ticket!!!
looks just like the factory finish and seems very durable.
so i can now do the carvings in the cheap seats...
speaking of cheap seats after doing a search of toilet seat pricing online i was amazed on how much some of the suppliers are asking for plain wooden seats, pricing ranges from $44-$255 and none of them had anything carved or engraved into them.
the local borg sells a oak seat for $20.

I don't make mistakes I make Firewood :D

james mcgrew
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
primed correctly mechanical paint like that that you get at a john deere or catapillar store is extremly durable as well!!

jim

Steven DeMars
01-15-2009, 1:50 PM
That looks nice . . . just curious . . .

Have you considered cutting a whole seat from a material like Corian?

Not sure if that would work out . . . It turns well . . .?

If it worked, that would eliminate painting . . .

Steve

James Jaragosky
01-15-2009, 5:17 PM
That looks nice . . . just curious . . .

Have you considered cutting a whole seat from a material like Corian?

Not sure if that would work out . . . It turns well . . .?

If it worked, that would eliminate painting . . .

SteveSteven thanks for the suggestion.
I did take the Corian authorized installer coarse some years back and at that time I was authorized to install and repair their product, but I would probably need another class to become authorized again.
Corian sounds a little out of my price range.
The thickness of the seat and the lid each need to be .75 upon completion, so I would probably need 1” thick material to start with. To get that I would need to bond two .5 pieces together.
The last I heard Corian will not sell the thicker stuff to a small time shop like mine, and they only sell sign shops the .5 stuff .
So I would need 5.5 sq foot of the .5 material @ $35 a sq foot = $192 then I need to carve it then find and install hardware.

I had some creekers inquire as to weather I could make them a bass seat and if so how much.
I responded to several people that I would be happy too for $50 to fellow creekers, but that I would ask $75 of non creekers as a standard price, this would include shipping.
After quoting pricing I haven’t heard a thing, so I can only conclude that their enthusiasm waned when they got the quoted price.
So I am guessing that a $300 dollar Corian seat would be a little out of the market price range for my target demographic.
And it would take a bit more work and planning than refinishing stock seats.
Keep pitching suggestions I need all the input I can get because times are tough and any help is greatly appreciated.

I don’t make mistakes, I find creative ways to make firewood.
Jim J

Jim Dailey
01-15-2009, 5:57 PM
James,

Maybe you need a different clientele...

Many decades ago before the Saudi's where making "real money" :rolleyes: Some friends of mine where invited abroad a Saudi Prince's private 707. Literally every knob, airplane control, wheel, hinge, door knob, right down to the toilet seat was gold plated!!!

Why stop at brass or Corian? ;) These day's they probably would be able to have it machined out of solid gold bullion.... :D

In all serious... beautiful work!!!

jim

james mcgrew
01-15-2009, 6:01 PM
james if you want to try it, i'll sen you some ss blanks!!

jim

james mcgrew
01-15-2009, 6:03 PM
jim's, right we got a camaster owner who has sold a rocking horse to somebody over there for like 3000.00 or so!!

jim

Larry Bratton
01-15-2009, 7:11 PM
Appliance paint is the ticket!!!
looks just like the factory finish and seems very durable.
so i can now do the carvings in the cheap seats...
speaking of cheap seats after doing a search of toilet seat pricing online i was amazed on how much some of the suppliers are asking for plain wooden seats, pricing ranges from $44-$255 and none of them had anything carved or engraved into them.
the local borg sells a oak seat for $20.

I don't make mistakes I make Firewood :D
Are you sure it's oak? I purchased one and was going to laser engrave it and after I got to looking at it, I decided it wasn't really wood, at least not oak..I suspected PVC so I didn't do it.

James Jaragosky
01-15-2009, 7:21 PM
Are you sure it's oak? I purchased one and was going to laser engrave it and after I got to looking at it, I decided it wasn't really wood, at least not oak..I suspected PVC so I didn't do it.
Yes the wood seat I was looking at was solid oak.
The cheap seats are made of MDF covered with a thick enamel Paint that could look like a PVC finish.
Searching online they seem to make seats out of practically anything, and the seat you were looking at could have been PVC.
Jim J.

Angus Hines
01-15-2009, 9:13 PM
So something like matching Corian Toilet seats already exsists ??

Darren Salyer
01-15-2009, 9:57 PM
I had some creekers inquire as to weather I could make them a bass seat and if so how much.
I responded to several people that I would be happy too for $50 to fellow creekers, but that I would ask $75 of non creekers as a standard price, this would include shipping.
After quoting pricing I haven’t heard a thing, so I can only conclude that their enthusiasm waned when they got the quoted price.

I think the $75 shipped is a giveaway price... There is a lot that goes into work like that.

James Jaragosky
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
So something like matching Corian Toilet seats already exsists ??

[PDF] Corian in Healthcare (http://corian.es/Corian/es_ES/assets/downloads/pdfs/technical/eng_dupont_corian_healthcare.pdf)

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Lna8sjtuUcsJ:corian.es/Corian/es_ES/assets/downloads/pdfs/technical/eng_dupont_corian_healthcare.pdf+corian+toilet+sea t&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us)
Toilet seat and vanity top in thermoformed Corian. ®. , Senvitas Medical Centre (Germany). 4th. Hospital cafeteria, Corian ...

Darren Salyer
01-15-2009, 10:38 PM
great info....thanks for the link..

James Jaragosky
01-15-2009, 10:57 PM
great info....thanks for the link..

Sorry That PDF may have more in it than many people want to read.
The short answer is yes they have Corian toilet seats. At least in Germany.

Keith Outten
01-16-2009, 7:27 AM
James,

You can purchase Corian now without taking their installers training...if you are a sign maker. There is a thread in the sign design forum with the necessary contact information, it takes just one phone call or an email.

You can purchase 3/4" thick Corian but the price is out of this world...$770.00 compared to $260.00 for 1/2" Glacier White from my local distributor.

Double sink cut-outs would be enough material to make toilet seats if you can get them from a local top shop and glue up two pieces. Get an adhesive gun from your local Corian Distributor, the small guns are inexpensive and the adhesive tubes are $7.00 each.

Any top shop will rock and roll with you and give you every piece of scrap they generate if you reciprocate and give them something in return they can use to market their products. I would offer them one free toilet seat from each dozen I sold. Another thing...forget the fish and try a rose or something similar since women will be making the buying decisions 99% of the time.

Before you machine the center of the toilet seat cut out an oval first and sell them as oval picture frames or mirrors. Large oval bathroom mirrors about 36" tall go for about $800.00 so smaller ones should be very profitable machined from free material. You may find an excellent source for selling Corian picture frames at photography studios. In my area solid black Corian ovals and round picture frames are very high end items and command a very attractive price at the right studios. Oh and don't forget that the center of the ovals you cut for pictures frames is an excellent plaque that can be engraved and sold. There is no such thing as easy money, unicorns or scrap Corian :)

Consider adding other bathroom accessories like towel bars, toilet paper holders, receptacle plates and soap dishes to your offerings, things that your local top shop can sell to their customers and you have built-in marketing for your products. Even in these tough economic times there are those who can afford and will order custom high-end accessories for baths and kitchens that match their Corian counter tops.

Another idea is to visit your local cabinet shops to see if they are interested in engraved glass or Corian panels for raised panel cabinet doors. Corian knobs for cabinets are also easy to turn on a small lathe and you can machine matching Corian shelves for kitchens and baths.

My 2 cents.

Oh yeah I should mention that Corian signs are the best thing that ever happened to me, the cost of purchasing full sheets is not even worth considering...Corian is dirt cheap when you market the right clientele.

james mcgrew
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
keith is right i have lobbys in distributors and retail stores that have my work displayed with according credit (well worth it's weight in the long run) when they built the new yacht club i volunteered to carve a sailboat (see work we produce) with a vcarved background that matched there moniker, when it came time to pay i said consider it a gift for good luck!! that has lead to four very affluent kitchens in a direct way.

you also can vcarve into corian fill it with epoxy color glue and sand (real pretty)

jim

Steven DeMars
01-16-2009, 1:55 PM
keith is right i have lobbys in distributors and retail stores that have my work displayed with according credit (well worth it's weight in the long run) when they built the new yacht club i volunteered to carve a sailboat (see work we produce) with a vcarved background that matched there moniker, when it came time to pay i said consider it a gift for good luck!! that has lead to four very affluent kitchens in a direct way.

you also can vcarve into corian fill it with epoxy color glue and sand (real pretty)

jim

I have a friend that makes template routed signs and fills them with some sort of melted plastic. Do you know if you can melt Corian?

Steve

james mcgrew
01-16-2009, 2:36 PM
yes corian is even postformable, i have never melted it down to where it would be movable but the colored glue's are mixed in a gun that will make them workable for filling,

jim

james mcgrew
01-16-2009, 2:41 PM
i purchase the glues here

http://chemcore.com/?p=Accessories

corian is a brand name much like formica, now that the patents have all expired there are many brands of solid surface on the market.

affinity and dovae are in texas and while it is foriegn produced the quality is ok and the service is great

jim

Darren Salyer
01-16-2009, 2:44 PM
I used a corian sink cutout to make a cutting board way back in the day. Used a handheld router (all I had at the time) to rout a groove 1/8" deep by 3/8" wide a half inch inside the perimeter. Mixed a contrasting color glue and filled the recess. sanded smooth and buffed when cured. Looked awesome. The customers who got that kitchen over a half dozen years ago were more impressed with the cutting board gift, than the kitchen, I think. Beauty of it was, everyone who visited the kitchen was told the story. Darren

Darren Salyer
01-16-2009, 2:46 PM
i purchase the glues here

http://chemcore.com/?p=Accessories

corian is a brand name much like formica, now that the patents have all expired there are many brands of solid surface on the market.

affinity and dovae are in texas and while it is foriegn produced the quality is ok and the service is great

jim

I just got Livingstone samples a couple weeks ago...looks really good.